***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Can I tow a 26ft 5th wheel trailer/camper with a 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado?

This is a discussion on Can I tow a 26ft 5th wheel trailer/camper with a 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado? within the Tow/Haul Mode forums, part of the General Discussion category; Forgive my ignorance here, but my knowledge on towing and weight are rather limited. I am looking at buying a ...

Can I tow a 26ft 5th wheel trailer/camper with a 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Forgive my ignorance here, but my knowledge on towing and weight are rather limited. I am looking at buying a new 26ft 5th wheel camper with 8600lb GVWR. I have a 2005 5.3L crew cab, short bed Silverado. I think this is the same as a 1500. I currently pull a 24 ft bumper pull camper with somewhere around a 7500 GVWR. I have no problems with pulling this and was told that a 5th wheel would actually be an easier pull. My question is, is this 5th wheel within my towing rating and would it be safe? Of course, the camper dealer says it is perfectly safe and within the ratings, but I'd rather hear from someone unbiased and really in the know.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Re: Can I tow a 26ft 5th wheel trailer/camper with a 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado?

I'm going to say you will be overloaded, but start with the basics, what is the GVWR on your truck? What gears?

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

your hitch weight with the 5er will bring your truck very close to its gvwr. also if your truck bed is under 6.5feet youll need to invest in a pricey sliding hitch to clear your truck cab while turning. if you do purchase the camper i wouldnt tow it without helper springs or airbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil814 View Post
    your hitch weight with the 5er will bring your truck very close to its gvwr. also if your truck bed is under 6.5feet youll need to invest in a pricey sliding hitch to clear your truck cab while turning. if you do purchase the camper i wouldnt tow it without helper springs or airbags.
    Yep- I'm not sure if there is even a hitch available for the 1500 CCSB platform. Many 6.5' bed trucks need a slider to function let alone an even shorter bed. You may be limited to a bumper pull trailer.
    The opinions expressed above are purely my own.

Can you - YES
    Should you - NO in my opinion. If you have the 3.73 gears behind the 5.3l you are pobably at 6400lbs GVWR, at max for a half ton (1500) would be 7200lbs.
    Towing 8600 lbs IS overloaded, regardless of hitch type.
    A fifth-wheel WILL tow easier, turn easier and back easier than a bumper pull; but you need more truck!!!
    00 k-1500 ECSB 5.3 4l60e, Z71, 231,500 miles. TRADED 5-2013
    03 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4l80e, 145,000 miles.
    05 K2500HD ECLB 6.6l LLY, 5speed Allison, 270,700 miles (Got 5-2013)

i'd say don't personally...

those camper weights seem awful high for there length, are they toyhaulers? not that it makes any difference just curious
    99 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr
    KYB monomax, air lift, tekonosha, reese dual cam, bfg at/ko

87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 98 Bonneville SSE, 04 F550 CC 4wd service body

8600 if that is what is tagged on the side of the fifth wheel that is the gross not its actual weight. If your listening to guy at the camper dealer they are more often wrong then right. Most of the new camper tags have a cargo capacity on the side. I was looking at camping world and 80% had a cargo capacity under the GVW rating. If the 5ver your looking at has this subtract the cargo capacity of the 5th wheel from the gross and that is the dry weight. Also is this 5th wheel a 1/2 ton towable unit. If this is the case you won't have any issues. As they move the axles forward to get the weight off the truck.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

Full Size Chevy Fire Dept Chevy Fireman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFarmer View Post
    Can you - YES
    Should you - NO in my opinion. If you have the 3.73 gears behind the 5.3l you are pobably at 6400lbs GVWR, at max for a half ton (1500) would be 7200lbs.
    Towing 8600 lbs IS overloaded, regardless of hitch type.
    A fifth-wheel WILL tow easier, turn easier and back easier than a bumper pull; but you need more truck!!!
    Your truck will hate you for life.
    1995 K1500 Step-Side
    Silent R's Racing