If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to test a trailer brake controller?

This is a discussion on How to test a trailer brake controller? within the Tow/Haul Mode forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys, I haven't used my truck to pull anything yet, but I will be soon, and I just finished ...

How to test a trailer brake controller?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys, I haven't used my truck to pull anything yet, but I will be soon, and I just finished hooking up and testing my 7 pin RV blade connector. Anyhow, my truck came with a Tekonsha Voyager (link) and I haven't seen it light up at all, ever.

I don't want to buy a new controller if I don't have to, so how do I test this one?

I KNOW it's hooked up right...

Controller: Truck:
    White-------------Ground
    Blue--------------Connector
    Black-------------Battery (fused)
    Red--------------Stop switch

Now I get continuity on RED when I push the brake... I hooked my meter up to Blue and Red and get 12 or 14 volts, depending on the truck running... When I push the brake, I get between .4 and .3 volts.
    1992 Silverado
    SO FAR: Cab lights, custom front bumper, SAS dana 60/14bff, 35" tires, sound system, exhaust, keyless/remote start
    TO DO: 6.0 liter LQ4 supercharged, 4L80e, NP241 w/ SYE & driveline e-brake, 95-newer dash, Pontiac G8 center console/shifter assy., Pontiac G6 seats

*this space for rent*

Re: How to test a trailer brake controller?

have to gone to Tekonsha website? sounds like you have got it right. only way I know how to test if for sure is to hook up a trailer and apply the brakes!
    2005 K3500 CCLB Duramax with a few bolt ons, weld ons and Glued ons.

87 Buick Grand National NOT Stock.

98 Chevy 3/4 4wd 454.... stockish for now (Gone but not forgotten)

Pick up an Emulator to check it:
    http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...r-02-0247.html
    They are very reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Peterbuilt; 06-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    '03 Silverado LS XC SB
    8.1L/Ally 3.73/LSD 4X4 3/3 drop

Ha well I jumped Blue to ground at the connector, and the Voyager turned green on the LED. Pushing the brakes turns it red. Looks like it works!

I guess it sends a 12v signal to see if the trailer is there, then turns on. Probably to save wear on the controller. Genius!

Thanks guys!
    1992 Silverado
    SO FAR: Cab lights, custom front bumper, SAS dana 60/14bff, 35" tires, sound system, exhaust, keyless/remote start
    TO DO: 6.0 liter LQ4 supercharged, 4L80e, NP241 w/ SYE & driveline e-brake, 95-newer dash, Pontiac G8 center console/shifter assy., Pontiac G6 seats

My P3 turns on when I hit the brake trailer or not. Just flashes the whole screen red and say no trailer connected.
    Believe my dad's Prodigy also turns on and say's no trailer.
    My just be a bit different as your is a different model though.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Yea my boss's 06 Cummins has a controller that turns on no matter what. My girlfriends dad's 98 Cummins has a different controller that works no matter if there's a trailer or not. And my old 81 Ford did the same thing.... That's why I thought it didn't work...

But the one in my '92 must have a trailer connected for it to even turn on. Yours says no trailer? All I got is an LED light :P
    1992 Silverado

The P3 will also shoe the voltage on the screen. If I have it set for my small trailer it will show about 7 volts and my 5th wheel it will go to 13.9, I guess that is what my alt. puts out.
    " Patton said it best " Wars are not won by dying for your country, wars are won by making the other poor son of a b#### die for his country! "

I hated my voyager. If you are doing any serious amount of towing, get a P3 or Prodigy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper_6 View Post
    only way I know how to test if for sure is to hook up a trailer and apply the brakes!
    Kind of what I was thinking!

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

"I guess it sends a 12v signal to see if the trailer is there, then turns on. Probably to save wear on the controller. Genius!"

i'm guessing it's not to save wear, more like it's to let you know that there's a problem if everything's connected an it doesn't turn on, i.e. self test.
    92 K1500 Ext Cab, 350 ci, 5.7L V8, 700R4 4 Speed Auto Trans, 3.73 Diff's, Powertrax Locker

Quote Originally Posted by fon1961 View Post
    i'm guessing it's not to save wear, more like it's to let you know that there's a problem if everything's connected an it doesn't turn on, i.e. self test.
    Good point... And 2COR517, good thing I'm not doing any serious towing. Yet! I just want a controller that'll apply the trailer brakes!
    1992 Silverado

I haven't had a voyager.
    Had a Draw Tite in my 03 when I bought it. My dad had one is his truck (can't remeber what now)
    Both of them were time delay and in my opinion a waste of money and just junk.
    Don't get me wrong they worked but for a little more money having the Prodigy or P3 is just a much better controller.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.