***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

This is a discussion on Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck within the Projects, Builds & Restorations. forums, part of the Projects and Builds category; Well, as some of you know, I Basically destroyed the box on my dads 1987 F-150. I have decided to ...

  1. #1
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck


    Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well, as some of you know, I Basically destroyed the box on my dads 1987 F-150.

    I have decided to buy it from him for $700 and make it into a Mud Truck for as little possible as i can.

    here is what i have to start with



    What i have:
    1987 RCLB F-150 XLT Lariat
    Balanced & Blue printed SBF 302
    Dart Sportsman Heads
    Big cam
    Mustang Cobra Chip
    True Duals
    4-SPD Standard Rebuilt
    Ford 8.8, Rebuilt, Posi

    Plans:
    3" Body Lift
    3" Front Coil Springs
    3" Rear lift springs
    A used box in WAY better shape
    Used doors
    Flat Black
    Used 35" Tires
    15" Aluminum Rims


    Hope to have it ready for the spring.

    and yes i know its a ford.

  2. #2
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Your 6 inches of lift should be plenty, you can fit 32s with no lift.

  3. #3
    Registered User skylark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grants Pass, OR
    Posts
    766

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    How in the heck did you kill the bed?!
    89 GMC Stepside 2WD 4/6 drop, working on the stroker again!!!
    Y2K Chevy K3500 CCLB Dually 6.5, the Black Pearl.

  4. #4
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    wheel fell off.

  5. #5
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    Your 6 inches of lift should be plenty, you can fit 32s with no lift.
    yes sir. i might just do a body with 33s but i know where to get a set of coils for cheap and my uncle owns a leaf spring shop

  6. #6
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    You might as well do as much as you can. Everything helps.

  7. #7
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Is that full time 4wd?

  8. #8
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    You might as well do as much as you can. Everything helps.
    true, but i dont wanna be spending huge money into this thing, its just gonna be for mudding and winter. right now it has a set of bald ass 31's

  9. #9
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Do you know what tires you are going to use?

  10. #10
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    Is that full time 4wd?


    what do you mean? It has manual hubs and a floor shift?

  11. #11
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    Do you know what tires you are going to use?
    nope, Some sorta Mud Tire though.

  12. #12
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangette View Post


    what do you mean? It has manual hubs and a floor shift?
    Some Fords from that body style had automatic hubs. They don't like water and mud. They also stop working over time, and you no longer have 4wd.

    I didn't mean full time. I meant automatic hubs.
    Last edited by 94_c/1500; 11-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.

  13. #13
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangette View Post
    nope, Some sorta Mud Tire though.
    LTBs are cheap for what you get. I am planning on using Gateway Buckshots on my J10.

  14. #14
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    Some Fords from that body style had automatic hubs. They don't like water and mud. They also stop working over time, and you no longer have 4wd.

    I didn't mean full time. I meant automatic hubs.
    well this one has good old manual hubs, and i prefer it that way

  15. #15
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    LTBs are cheap for what you get. I am planning on using Gateway Buckshots on my J10.
    to tell you the truth i haven't really looked at tires yet. but i know they will be used.

  16. #16
    WV Jeeper 94_c/1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangette View Post
    well this one has good old manual hubs, and i prefer it that way
    You lucked out. My friend did have one of these, but his had auto hubs. He burried it over the hood. Got pulled out by a wrecker. About a week later, the hubs went out while going 60mph. It would have been $500 in new parts. He got used parts, put the glasspacks back on, and sold it for $2500 (way too much).

  17. #17
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 94_c/1500 View Post
    You lucked out. My friend did have one of these, but his had auto hubs. He burried it over the hood. Got pulled out by a wrecker. About a week later, the hubs went out while going 60mph. It would have been $500 in new parts. He got used parts, put the glasspacks back on, and sold it for $2500 (way too much).
    yea I am happy this one has manual hubs.

  18. #18
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    found a 3" body lift for $100 on Craigslist this morning!

    Brand new in box! im gonna buy it.

    I will have more pics and a sound clip of the exhaust later today.

  19. #19
    JoshTheCanadian
    Guest

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    truck as it sits atm.

    I found a box for it


  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Age
    49
    Posts
    576

    Re: Project: 1987 Ford Mud Truck

    Does the other side look any better?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •