GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheap, quick, matte black paint job :D

This is a discussion on Cheap, quick, matte black paint job :D within the Projects, Builds & Restorations. forums, part of the Projects and Builds category; I've been wanting to do this for a while. The title says it all. FIRST OFF: I am by NO ...

Cheap, quick, matte black paint job :D

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I've been wanting to do this for a while. The title says it all.

FIRST OFF: I am by NO means claiming to be a pro painter or anything even close. This is my first large paint project. I am not wanting it to turn out perfect, just a colour change, and a maintainence free paint job.

I am using matte black tremclad (rustoleum in the states I think?) and a foam roller/foam paint brushes/rattle can.

Here are some pictures of the truck from where it started, to where it is before I began the paint.

First time off roading with it, and getting it stuck.

Mud bog

On the way to the second mud bog

The full floater and TMR cusoms diff cover

Here are some I snapped throughout the process.

Pulled off the first body moulding. Surprise present!

Matching drivers side rocker. I'll need a new drivers door, rockers, cab corners shortly.

New toy to speed up the process, nothin fancy, but it works.

Pre-sanding

Past the point of no return.

Sanded the whole body with 120 & 220 grit. The tape is just a rough "don't sand past here" mark at this point.

So at this point I still need to:
    -Finish taping up the windows and put some bags and such over other areas
    -Scuff up the door jams, under hood, rear of bed, bedside where tailgate goes, and tail gate
    -Sand the grille, filler piece, mirrors, fender flares
    -Lay the colour on

I'm probably missing some stuff, it's late, I'm tired, and have been sanding and dissasembling all day. The truck needs to be painted and put back together and driving by Monday afternoon/night.

Any comments, hate mail, suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by bellofello; 09-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    -92 RCSB, 6.5TD, 4" straight pipe to 4" stacks, 33" bighorns, flat black, 14 bolt FF, other little things here and there.

Re: Cheap, quick, matte black paint job :D

nooooo!

sorry im biased on account of my truck is red haha

should look good though

Hahaha, yea I really did like the red. When I did wash and wax it it looked like new too.

I just love the mean evil look of a totally black truck.

And thanks, I'm hoping it looks decent. Up close it will be egg shelled to the nines, but if really hate that, I can always wet sand the whole truck.
    -92 RCSB, 6.5TD, 4" straight pipe to 4" stacks, 33" bighorns, flat black, 14 bolt FF, other little things here and there.

FSC Midwest Chapter CountryChevy15's Avatar

subd for results.

-2006 Crew Cab Chevrolet 1500-

Well some updates

-Got everything on the outside tapped and bagged off.
    -Scuffed the areas I am going to spray bomb.
    -Got all ready to go, and I can't find any flat black spray bomb I was certain I had at the shop

Tomorrow I need to:
    -pick up a few cans of spray bomb
    -pick up some more tape for the inside drivers and passenger windows.
    -sand the grille shell, filler piece, tailgate, bug deflector.
    -finish wiping the hood and roof with thinner.
    -find a few more tarps or drop sheets to put under the rear half of the truck.

Oh, also, the stacks will come off later to have them cut down 5-6", then paint them high heat matte black as well. This will be at the same time as the bumpers
    The bumpers will be painted flat black at a later date. I just need to get it on the road first, then I'll worry about the little details.

For the rear bumper, I am thinking of removing all the plastic, and replacing the top plastic "grip" foot step section with skateboard grip tape. Anyone ever seen that done? Think it's a good idea?

Registered User NightMare Chevy's Avatar

subbed for finished pics

I love what your doing. Sickest 6.5 i have ever seen. I cant really tell if the stacks are sitting perfect but after you cut em down im sure thatll be fixed. good idea going matte black.

Quote Originally Posted by homesick View Post
    I love what your doing. Sickest 6.5 i have ever seen. I cant really tell if the stacks are sitting perfect but after you cut em down im sure thatll be fixed. good idea going matte black.
    Haha I wouldn't say the sickest, but she does okay for an ol 6.5
    Where abouts is cranbrook?

Yea they aren't attatched really. You can see the u-bolts in this picture hanging:

they did sit slighly off before, but I will try to mess with the mounting to get them better. The drivers side stack wont come off right now, it's pissing me off. The whole drivers side is.

Plus side, picked up some paint and tape. Should have some shots of the under side of the hood and some other areas soon for ya'll.
    Last edited by bellofello; 09-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Small update.

Got some colour on under the hood, and on the back of the box. Just a first coat. The back is still wet in the pictures.

It seemed like it covered fully under the hood untill I looked at the picture... I need to break out the work lights again for sure.

Last edited by bellofello; 09-05-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Second coat.

Still one or two spots missed, haven't done the door jams or anything yet. My fingers hurt from spraybombing, and I don't feel like taping up the inside yet. So I'm breaking the roller out to get some paint on the body.

Woooo some colour on.

Paint is still pretty wet in these shots. I also still need to go around the areas that the roller couldn't get to with a foam brush.

Quote Originally Posted by bellofello View Post
    My fingers hurt from spraybombing,
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/...67946f314c.jpg

My fingers hurt from spraybombing,
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 09-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Yea I had one of those. I've used it a lot before, and like them, but mine broke at where the trigger connects to the body of the unit. This happened on my third stroke when I strarted. So I just switched fingers often.

Yea I had one of those. I've used it a lot before, and like them, but mine broke at where the trigger connects to the body of the unit. This happened on my third stroke when I strarted. So I just switched fingers often.
    Alright, took a bit of a break.

When I came back the paint was about 75% dry. So I started with a foam brush, it wasn't co-operating with me, so out came the rattler again.

I still have a bunch of runs and goobers here and there I need to wet sand and re-roll possibly. Also go over the spray bombed detailed parts with a roller to get them to match the rest of the finish.

this is pretty close to the final product. Sorry if it dissapoints anyone. From a few feet away it looks fantastic. I'm sure in the sun it won't look great. But for what I need it for, it serves its purpose.

Need to finish:
    -Grill shell
    -Tailgate
    -Bug deflector
    -Re-assemble tomorrow

then do the door jams next weekend probably.

I think it looks good and props for doing it yourself. Now you need to get some mitre cut matte black stacks even with the top of the cab.

2004 VW GTI VR6, DD status.
    2005 Silverado z71, black, leveled, 315s
    2000 k2500 OBS CCSB, 4x4, vortec 7.4, SAS with hp d44, 37s sold 4/3/11
    98 k1500 SOLD 6/8/10
    95 land rover discovery

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

not to bad for a roller and spraybomb job

i would suggest putting a clear coat on it just to help protect the paint from the elements some

and i second the black stacks
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, stock for now, parts slowly being ordered

That looks pretty good for the price it must have cost compared to a professional paint job. I might have to copy you. My trucks paints getting pretty chipped up but I don't want to spend much money on a paint job thats just going to get scratched up. So you used matte black tremclad from the spray can and from the paint can? I'd think they'd look a little different but im no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhick42 View Post
    I think it looks good and props for doing it yourself. Now you need to get some mitre cut matte black stacks even with the top of the cab.
    Thanks, it turned out better than I expected. Neat doing it yourself and seeing the transformation of it. It's a weird feeling the first time the sand paper hits the fresh paint, and the first stroke of new colour.

Nothin beats getting quotes of around $3,000 for an "off road" quick single stage paint job, then turning around and doing it for $300 in a couple of days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast