If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

84 k10, My new project

This is a discussion on 84 k10, My new project within the Projects, Builds & Restorations. forums, part of the Projects and Builds category; Some of you guys may have seen my post in the Pics section but this will be the Thread where ...

Registered User PaRedneckRiders's Avatar

84 k10, My new project

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Some of you guys may have seen my post in the Pics section but this will be the Thread where i start fixing it.
    Truck is an 84 shortbed k10
    350 4 spd
    holley 650 double pumper
    has an aftermarket cam (dont remember what kind)
    Motor was all rebuilt then ran for 2 months then parked for 2 years
    7in lift (4in suspension, 3in body)
    35in Durango Radial A/T tires
    and more, plus i got a bunch of extra parts with it
    Let me know if the pics dont work

This is what i started with

Next to my dads ranger

Bed is off

This is the worst part of the frame, its the cross-member under the front of the bed

New driver side floor pan and rocker, still need to order my passenger side

Tach that is either going to move or get removed, i cant stand where the guy had it, its right over the fuel gauge

Just looking good

Going in a week or 2 to pic up a good set of full bedsides, a bed floor, and a set of long tube headers so im ahead of the game with a decent bed i just need to put together.

Got almost all the interior ripped out today, seat it out carpet and rubber floor mats along with all the insulation.
    Driver side floor pan is mostly out, it was replaced before but just bolted to the floor with some clear epoxy over the seams.Ill get some pics of the interior tomorrow or the next day.
    Last edited by PaRedneckRiders; 11-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Re: 84 k10, My new project

Pics of what is left of my interior, pretty much everything is out other than the dash or all that, but the floor is all cleaned up.

In this pic you can see the big hole in my floor, and if your wonder most of the wires wrapped around my steering column are wires to all the speakers that sit behind my seat, plus the ones in the corners of the cab that werent hooked up and mayb 2 more as im putting the inside all back together

Another hole in my floor, more speaker wires and a wire for the CB(which im not sure if it works or not yet)

Real 4x4s' Rust ryan_thompson87's Avatar

Looks like you got your hands full.

87 K30-355 Vortec TBI/TH350/208/Dana 60/14FF/4.56s/Detroit/37"Bogger/Ult.TBI Mods/XtremeFI FPR vac. reference/EP241 Pump/LS1 Fans

07 GMC Sierra Classic - 2" Rough Country Full Leveling Kit/285 Duratracs/Gibson Exhaust/10% Tint/Billet Grille

Ya i do, but i wanted a project so thats what i bought, its mostly all body work and that cross member.
    The motor was all just rebuilt and runs really good.

thats the exact opposite of mine. the body of my truck is perfect but the interior and wiring and engine is all ****. keep up the progress.

well ive got a new seat already, its out of a 93 GMC 1500.
    Going to have to modify it a bit well a good bit lol but its alot better than mine.
    Im getting my new bedsides and bed floor this Friday, cant spray any paint till summer so ive got a good wait.
    I still havent decided on a color yet though, Its Massey Ferguson Grey right now and im thinking either the same color or maybe like an orange copper color, cant find any pics right now but i sorta like it.
    Maybe even flat or gloss black i just haven't decided yet

Not Really Bob

Nice Project!
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

thanks got a while to work on it not in any hurry, had big plans for it but dont think it will happen since its going to have to be my daily driver for durring the week and the quad hauler and mudder for the weekend.
    Would love to throw some 37s or 38s under it but not sure yet.
    By no means will this be a show truck or just a road truck i bought it with all intentions of taking it off road but i do need a daily driver so this will be it when its done

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

nice truck man wished I had it.

I'd do some bigger tires for sure, the grille doesn't seem to fit right either. I like it man can't wait to see more pics of progress though.

Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.

Not Really Bob

Cut the fenders for bigger tires BEFORE you paint it. That's what I'm doing with my '81. It has about 8" of lift but I'm cutting the fenders so I can stuff 42/44's when it flexes.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

The grill does fit right, if it had another bar on the top you wouldnt be able to unlatch the hood, not sure about the bottom. The mount on the driver side bottom of it broke throught so ill just take a little piece of steel plate and move it to the left a little and drill another hole.

Ya was definitely going to cut them before paint i think i could go 37s as is but that would prob. be a tight squeeze when Wheelin, so cut them and throw some 38s in there and i would be happy.

To bad i dont have the money for new tires maybe i can pick up a set of good slightly used 37s or 38s on Craigslist

it needs another bar on top and bottom, that grille has absolutely NOTHING to do with opening the hood, unless you rigged up or someone else did, an older style pre 80 front hood latch that uses no inside release cable. Old mans 84 has that same grille just round tube, it fills the whole area, it's inside hood release. When you pop that you put your hand in between the top radiator support and the hood, not in the grille.

Now if somebody has an outside latch style(no inside pul cable) then I can understand it, but you can still pop it with a full grille, it aint that easy but it can be done. They even make extension kits for those type latches to run full grilles.

Chris

Chris

All i know is if it had another bar on top i wouldnt be able to slide my hand in and pull the latch to get the hood up.
    Looks fine to me but i may get something diff and im looking at maybe getting a cowl hood, would really serve me no purpose but would look coo. l

dude do you have an inside hood release? your hand does not go in between the grille bar and upper grille trim to release the hood if so, you pop it, the hood raises an inch and then you slide your hand under the hood and on top of the rad. support.

Chris

Definitely have a lot of work ahead of you but that'll be good experience and will be a cool truck when you're done! My wife's uncle has the same issue as you with the grill and hood latch. He welded in a small bar to the latch the runs behind the grill (painted it black so you can't see it) and he just pops the hood from under the bumper now It's not a bad set up but that's a lot of the reason I didn't go with a billet or tube grill on my truck.

Keep up the good work man!

Quote Originally Posted by Swims350 View Post
    dude do you have an inside hood release? your hand does not go in between the grille bar and upper grille trim to release the hood if so, you pop it, the hood raises an inch and then you slide your hand under the hood and on top of the rad. support.
    Yes i have an inside hood release, even when i pull it its a tight squeeze to get my hand in there to release it fully.

Thanks man, i probably wont get much more done, we got snow flying in PA want to get my floor boards in before it gets to cold.
    I have the floor board sitting in place with towels wrapped around the seams and about 10lbs of parts on top of it.

the 76 we had, it only had the outside release so you had to have room between the grille and upper grille trim for your hand. The inside release pops up for you to get your hand between the hood and upper rad support. I know it might be tight but I didn't even think you could get in there at all to even do anything. The button to release it is on the hood and over top the rad. support and then the hook holds into the hole in top of the rad support. I just don't see it working from underneath, wished I could see it in person. I do know the older trucks like pre 80 you had to get from the grille area, but as far as I've ever seen or knew the 81-87's were all done from between the hood and upper grille trim.

You'll get it tho, just have to wait on warm days or better weather. We got snow flying here all day today, you got something to start with that's not in terrible shape man you'll get it. Just gotta keep taking pics I love seeing 73-87 trucks, my favorite body style.

Chris

Well just a little update, I went and got my bed sides and bed floor. They are really nice other than one little dent in the side and the back of passnger side is crushed in just a bit its its not all that bad.

Well swims you were right about the hood latch, i really looked at it and the guy cut the top bar off the grill. The reason is when you pull the latch inside the cab to release the hood, it only releases part of the way so you have to reach in the grill to make it open the rest of the way. The cable seems really wore and sloppy so if i replace it im betting it would fix that problem.

I also got rid of the broken bug sheild.
    Fired it up today let it run and now its going to get covered over for the winter.
    Ill post one last pic, dont mind the snow this is before i cleaned the rest of it off
    And these are the only pics i have of the bedsides, dont have any of the floor. Im not worried about paint it will be a different color when im done anyway (and ya ill take the stupid rubber pieces off the bedsides)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast