FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: Rain leaking into cab

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Rain leaking into cab

Everytime we get a heavy rain, I end up with water dripping onto my passenger side floor from the blower area. I think it's coming from the cowl area, but the one hole in the body is there for a reason, and hasn't changed...yet I've only started having this problem in the last 8 months or so. Any thoughts?
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4
    ***Yeah, it's got a Hemi! ***

***2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP***
    ---Nicely Modded and Hauls...Kids ;o)

*2005 Chevy Avalanche Z-71 5.3*
    Gone-Lemon Tree Extraordinaire

1998 GMC Sierra ECSB Z-71 5.7
    ~~~~I miss you dearly!~~~~

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Rain leaking into cab

If your sure it's water then check the cowl box at the base of the windsheild , If you lift the hood you will see a seam that runs accoss the fire wall. The seam forms the cowel box. Sometimes the sealent used in that seam will fail where it's up under the ACbox and it will drip into the heater box on the inside and drip behind the glove box. If the drain is plugged up on the A/C you can get a dip in the same area. A bad heater core will also drip there.

If you pull the windsheild wiper ares off and under the hood will be a few screws and then you can get the grill peice of and get into the cowel box. You can use some RTV to seal it.

Could also be the windshield gasket.

You should try to isolate the area with a waterhose to make certain.
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Actually, the first thing I though of when it first happend was heater core. But no coolant involved. I also thought of the A/C drain, but I've had that on other cars before, and the drain boot was clean. That's when I started realizing that it only happens when it rains hard. I had pulled the wipers and cowl off and the sealant all looks perfect...no cracks, peels or delaminations anywhere that I could see around the cowl box. I pulled off the little fresh air intake duct and check the seal around it and sealed the screw holes with RTV. Nevertheless, it's back. Not really sure where else to look. The garden hose idea might be helpful, although I hate the idea of intentionally running water into my blower housing and cabin floor. Hmmm.....

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Oh, and the windshield and gaskets have been replaced twice since this started (dang rocks!). Now, that doesn't preclude the idea that the glass shop is so incompetent as to have screwed it up three times, but I'd certainly hope not.

Thanks for the reply!

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Scion it appears that I have the same problem going. When I give my truck a good wash it will drip inside from the same area you have described! I'm still trying to find the problem myself!! My truck is a 98 GMC Ext Z71 as well.

Mike
    1998 GMC Sierra Z-71, SLT, Rancho 6" susp, 315/75-16 BFG Mud Terrains, Edelbrock headers, Helix tower of power, Custom burnt chip, 210 rwhp dynotuned!!

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have this problem as well, and I did a little research on it the other day. I found that there is an AC system component that is plastic that goes into the cab through the firewall under the cowl area. I think that is where the water is getting in. However, since it is under the cowl itself it is impossible to get to. I could feel the leak because when you close the door with all windows closed up you can feel a puff of air come out in that area. I am pretty sure this is the problem, but pretty UNsure of how to fix it.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hey guys...I have the exact same leak..I spent the whole day trying to track it down.. Mine leaks from the blower motor on the right hand side.. I have no idea how I am supposed to get to it. I took off the cowl and cleaned out the drains...no change..I took off the glovebox and the computer and could not see anything in there..I even siliconed the bottom of my windshield. Water will slowly drip onto my floormat after a rain or wash.. I am having my wifes uncle who is a gm tech do some research on it..hopefully he will come through.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Well, at least I'm not alone as my truck takes a leak on me.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Rain leaking into cab FIX!!!

I pulled off the cowl corner today and noticed that I was missing the screw that holds down the far right hand side of the cowl. I put a screw with some sealant in the hole and so far I havent got it to leak...I poured a gallon of water down the windshield in that spot and boom no leaks.. I have my fingers crossed and hope that solved the problem!

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Have the same exact problem on my '98. I have resealed the windshield and it continues to leak in a hard rain.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have had a 95 z71 and I now have a 97 tahoe, and they both do that same thing. I have learned to deal with it, Bought some husky floor mats, they do the job if it does rain a lot.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i got a 90 that does it... since i already had half the interior pulled i took up the carpet and the kick panels and all the stuff on the passenger side near the floor. besides the drip from the box there is a slow leak down the seam wear the kick panel and floorboard meet. i've looked and looked with a hose squirting and still can't find the source.
    90 GMC Sierra Reg. Cab - lowered and half primed
    01 Chevy S-10 reg cab lowered

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have the same problem on my 96 and after hurricane jeane when i went to drive my truck I heard the blower fan hitting the water. I just haven't had time to look into it yet.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i have a 98 chevy it leaks same place

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Same problem. I just noticed it today for the first time. Again we have has alot of rain.

The other problem I have is a gurgling sound on the drivers side. Something gurgles when it is raining and my wipers are on. Could be a drain or something. I'm not sure. Hell of loud.
    Hell it's almost new again!

New: altenator, battery, ignition, waterpump, radiator, electric fan, powersteering hose, spark plug wires, front brakes, rear axle (14 bolt SF), rear brakes, heater fan, stereo, speakers. Wait4Me PCM, 2" Body lift, K&N

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by black98z71
    Have the same exact problem on my '98. I have resealed the windshield and it continues to leak in a hard rain.
    Same story here. The dealership did the seal but the problem didn't go away. I kept forgetting to ask the question here, I saw this thread and automatically knew I was in the same boat.

I've got good floor mats so I'm not worried anymore, just another problem to add to the list.
    1998 K1500- 6.5" Cepek front/ 6" Alcan rear, 3" BL, Realift, 6 lug 14FF w/ Detroit, 4.88s, & 36x14.50 PJs.

Stuffing tires is like stuffing a bra - it may look good from the outside, but there's nothing good to play with.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Rain leaking into cab FIX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb5150
    I pulled off the cowl corner today and noticed that I was missing the screw that holds down the far right hand side of the cowl. I put a screw with some sealant in the hole and so far I havent got it to leak...I poured a gallon of water down the windshield in that spot and boom no leaks.. I have my fingers crossed and hope that solved the problem!

Use a hose, it takes a lot of water in my experience.
    1998 K1500- 6.5" Cepek front/ 6" Alcan rear, 3" BL, Realift, 6 lug 14FF w/ Detroit, 4.88s, & 36x14.50 PJs.

Stuffing tires is like stuffing a bra - it may look good from the outside, but there's nothing good to play with.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I am not sure now if my initial post was correct then. I have a 99 NBS ext. cab that the passengers floor front and back are soaked. It is water and not antifreeze. I did find that the rubber seal at the top rear of my third door was pulled away and left a gap in the corner. I tried to push it back up on it, but it doesn't want to hold. So, I put some silicone in the seal and got it to stay up and sealed. I haven't tried to see if it leaks anywhere else. I may need to get the hose out and do more testing. I have my carpet lifted up to help drying. I think I will do some more testing when I get home. As much trouble as I have went thru to get my carpet dry, I will be pissed if it gets soaked again.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hello Water Leaking Brothers, I am fighting the same problem with '96 K1500....water on the passenger side floor mat during heavy rain. Also, I can hear the water in my blower motor. I am sure one of us will eventurally solve this problem. Please keep the thread updated, if anyone has a success with this problem.

Thanks,
    rCn

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

At this point, my greater worry is damage to the blower motor. The idea about the sealant in the cowl trim screws sounds reasonable. I'd like to hear an update from tonyb on how that's going.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast