FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: How much louder turndowns vs out back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

How much louder turndowns vs out back

How much louder/deeper/more agressive sounding is it gonna be inside and out if i were to do turndowns instead of running pipes out the back with tips or what about putting tips straight onto the mufflers?? I saw my friend and he revved it up when he drove by and it was deep and kinda loud..Im sure u know the friend im talking about( i have talked about his truck A LOT HAHA) but it sounded kinda good. I just dont know what to go with turndowns,tips onto end of mufflers,run pipe to rear end and then when they come back down over the rear end just add tips there or run it out the back with tips... Hope someone can help... thanks ALSO I FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHING Also which is louder a single in/ dual out or true duals? I want the most sound and i want some performance too, but im not gonna be using the truck for racing cause its gonna be daily driver but i might get on it once in a while or race someone.. One of my friends took his girlfriends dads truck out and i heard it and it was LOUD(i think he said it is a single in/dual out) it was louder than what my friends is with the true duals and my friend was really gettin on it and damn i mean it was loud and then my friend with the true duals drove past while i was outside and he revved it and it was deep and kinda loud..... Sorry for the long post but i just wanna know if i should go single in/ dual out or true duals and which would be better....... thanks **** and here is about cat. converters hope someone can help me out What about cat. converters? Can i get some high flow converters for cheap some where or are the stock converters fine?? Will high flow converters make my truck louder or help mpg or more power/torque?????? just wandering.... thanks WELL I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT. Thanks FOR THE LONG POST

Dirty, Baraka, "B" DirtyBlackHoe's Avatar
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: How much louder turndowns vs out back

I used to have turndowns on my Z and I can tell you one thing...everyone I know thinks it sounds much better and louder in the cab and outside the cab with the tailpipes to the back. **** is so much deeper and louder at idle and throughout (at least till about 3K and then the turndowns really screamed)

Mine
    2006 GMC Sierra SLT CCSB Z-71

Wife's
    2004 Chevy Tahoe LT
    BB Tune|6K HID's|Spectre CAI|Painted front end|

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

im running a flowmaster super 40 and a high flow cat with it turned down (dumped) right behind the muffler.its loud inside and outside the cab at low rpms,but at higher rpms its not so loud.this is on a rcsb.

A Crazy Ass Cowboy!
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

If it were me I would run the pipes out the back with tips That's what I did and I love the way it sounds also it it on a NBS RC short bed

2009 Silverado Ext Cab Vortec 4.8L V-8 Flowmaster Exhaust 40 Series K&N Air Filter Spray In Bedliner Tinted Windows.......New Pics coming soon!

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Well what about the converters? If i get new high flow ones say dynomax,magnaflowor catco which one do i need and how long are the factory ones on a 99-02 5.3 silverado????? I guess thats all i need to know... Oh yea do the high flow ones flow more than stock ones and also do i have to get new oxygen sensors??????? thanks

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Can anyone at all help me about the converters??? thanks

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I had mine out the back, but recently hacked them off before the axle. Wow, they are much louder now and resonate in the cab a lot more, I like it this much louder, its cool.

1997 K1500 ECSB LQ9/80e/241/D60f/C14FF
    2006 Dodge 2500 610CTD/G56/271/AAM9.25/AAM11.5

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Will my truck be any louder deeper if i would weld the tips onto the pipes after they come up over the rear end and when they start back down just weld tips on there compared to going straigh out the back????? thanks

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Too much to read...but I cut the pipes off right before the rear end and it is a LOT louder now. The wife freaked out and said what the @#$% did you do to the truck the next morning when I started it up. I was concerned at first now I like it. The neighbors know when I leave in the night.

Personal Responsibility GO GET SOME!

Stockrado
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Everyone and their dog has "pipes and tips" IF you want it louder outside and inside, then dump it. True duals usually are louder, but not always. I've got a single in/dual out Flow70, that's as loud as i want it. It's not as "quiet" as everyone thinks. Oh yeah, no turndowns or anything just the muffler.

Jacob

2001 Silverado LS 2WD 5.3L 4L60E 212K Miles
    Billet Grille Clear Turn Signals K&N Cold Air
    Painted Handles & Mirrors 2" Drop Shackles
    18" Silverado Wheels '03 Tail lights Magnaflow Exhaust 12" sub

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Tomorrow I might unbolt my tailpipes and throw some turndowns on just for $hits and giggles. My tips were crooked anyway. I'll let you guys know what it sounds like.
    2012 3500HD
    2011 Tundra
    1979 Bronco
    1988 Samurai

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Ok well im supposed to go in on wed. and get my exhaust. I told the guy im not sure what mufflers im gonna get yet. Im gonna ask this once more before i go cuase i dont wanna be disappointed in the sound. Will my truck be really mean,deep,agressive,and well u know loudness comes along with the mean agressive sound. Will it sound like that when i stick her clear to the floor?? It will be true duals from converters back to what ever mufflers and back to 4'' tips with 2 1/2'' pipes all the way through. Will 40 series orig. flows give me that sound. The reason im asking again is I heard this guy i know that has a 99-01 f-150 dont know what size of motor exactly but its a v8 and he has a single in dual out to 4'' tips angled behind tires and he got on it a lil and it sounded like what i heard one night, but when i heard who ever it was that night there was nothing then there was a REALLY DEEP,MEAN,AGRESSIVE,LOUD,SMOOTH SOUNDING ROAR. I was just wondering if it was my friend with the ford i just derscribed or my friend i have described before with the true duals on the 5.3 silverado????? hope someone can give me a yes or no and which person it was...Oh yea my friend with the ford his exhaust is loud even idling. What i heard that one night was quiet and then had that sound i described(loud,mean,deep,agressive,smooth sound..))) So i say it was my friend with the silverado. IF u konw for sure it will sound like my friends with the silverado please tell me a yes or no and if no then if it was my friend with the ford or what..... thanks

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by 2001RedChevy
    Everyone and their dog has "pipes and tips" IF you want it louder outside and inside, then dump it. True duals usually are louder, but not always. I've got a single in/dual out Flow70, that's as loud as i want it. It's not as "quiet" as everyone thinks. Oh yeah, no turndowns or anything just the muffler.
    Yeah, the 70 series can be loud if you have turndowns, I had this setup and then I went with tailpipes out the back at a 45 degree angle behind the rear wheels. Tailpipes smooth out the tone, turndowns make it louder.
    1996 GMC Sierra RCSB
    4.3L V6 - 4L60E - 15" stock aluminums - 3.42s - slow weekend warrior
    2004 Chevy Tahoe LT
    5.3L V8 - 4L60E - 17" stock aluminums - 3.73s - less slow daily driver

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Ford, GM, Dodge, they all are going to sound different firing orders, so each will sound different from the other, no matter how close they are as far as c.i's.
    We can't tell you which one it exactly was, but IMO the 4.8 and 5.3 engines sound smoother than a Ford or Dodge engine.
    Just go with the 40 series origonals, you should be happy, they're meant to be loud, deep, and aggressive :read:
    92 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 ltr 5 spd. Mods slowly starting...

Details By Dolan, Santa Rosa CA

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I just need to know if my truck is gonna be really mean,deep,agressive,loud, and smooth when i stick it to the carpet. If so then thats what im gonna get.. Flowmasters have went up in price so it might be a little while before i get them now unless the shop will give me a deal which they prolly will cause they prolly have had them for a lil while so they are cheaper. So yea i just really really need to know if its gonna sound how i want it........ thanks for all the help. i just dont want to spend my hard earned money on something and not like it, thats why i have been asking about it a lot, but it seems like no one can give me a straight answer. All i want is a yes. But im pretty sure it was my friend with the silverado cuse it is quiet then gets loud, and the truck i heard that night was quiet and out of no where i heard a really mean, agressive,deep,loud,smooth tone, and was like holy f'in'shi* that sounded awesome, just couldnt get to the window in time to really see who it was, but im pretty sure it was my friend with the silverado so i will quit asking now and go get the **** done if its not gonna be too expensive.........

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

You seriously won't get any better of a deal ordering the mufflers off Ebay or anywhere on the net, unless someone gives them away. Shops can match prices, but it really isn't much different. By the time you pay for shipping, tax, etc, it's going to be about the same if you do a split or true dual system.
    We honestly can't give you a straight answer. Yes, it's the exhaust section and some of us know, and many have 40 series Flows, so they can give you a straight answer of their system, but every system will sound different.
    Like I said, 40 series mufflers are made to sound deep, mean, aggressive, and loud. If you're not happy with them, I'll run over to their facility and bitch them out. (Their plant is right across town from me).
    So yeah, you'll be pleased. Anything louder than that IMO is nucking futz :crazy:
    92 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 ltr 5 spd. Mods slowly starting...

Details By Dolan, Santa Rosa CA

A Crazy Ass Cowboy!
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

From what everyone has said I think the Flowmaster is your best choice Now how you do your pipes is up to you IMO I like the way trucks look that have chrome tips

2009 Silverado Ext Cab Vortec 4.8L V-8 Flowmaster Exhaust 40 Series K&N Air Filter Spray In Bedliner Tinted Windows.......New Pics coming soon!

Dirty, Baraka, "B" DirtyBlackHoe's Avatar
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

go with the flowmaster 40's and you will not be disappointed.
    Turndowns on a lowered or stock height truck is also different then on a 4wd. They are louder on a lower truck due to the echo effect.

Mine
    2006 GMC Sierra SLT CCSB Z-71

Wife's
    2004 Chevy Tahoe LT
    BB Tune|6K HID's|Spectre CAI|Painted front end|

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by nitrous
    im running a flowmaster super 40 and a high flow cat with it turned down (dumped) right behind the muffler.its loud inside and outside the cab at low rpms,but at higher rpms its not so loud.this is on a rcsb.
    this is the same setup i have and i love the sound of it

"Never compare money to wealth

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Is there any way i could put the mufflers closer to the motor?? Would that make it any louder, sound better or anything???