FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: Door Speakers for an 01 Sierra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Norwegian and Mexican o_O Norsican's Avatar
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Door Speakers for an 01 Sierra

I'm looking into replacing the speakers (front and back) along with the head unit at some point in time. (been looking at the Pioneer GM/Chrysler fit models at Crutchfield) I haven't been into the door yet but looking at it, it appears its the 6 speaker arrangement (2 in the front doors, a pair in the back doors) I can find speakers that fit the Larger of the two holes easily enough, but I can't seem to find the Size of the upper holes. (They currently contain some smaller speakers ( horns?))

Anyone know what size the mysterious holes are? I'd like to think I could put some tweeters in the uppers, 6.5s in the lowers, and 4x6s in the back doors.

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT with Onstar

Anything I need to be aware of with regards to Onstar?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Norsican; 03-25-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    all stock 01 GMC Sierra Z71

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Door Speakers for an 01 Sierra

the last two speakers are your stock tweeters. You dont have any hole for them as they are a 1" speaker attached to a piece of plastic.

If you want to replace these, just buy some components or coaxils and your good.

///Alpine/Seas/Dynaudio/Sundown/DIYMA

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks,

Anyone happen to have any pics of this? Again, I haven't been in the door yet so I'm looking through the stock speaker grill.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i can snap some but its really not to bad. Just put in a single coaxil and your done.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

If you could that would be cool.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff and I like to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks again!
    Edit: Seems as though there are holes, but the tweeters are on spacers within the hole ( those plastic things you were telling me about) If a guy wanted to get new tweeters, would they mount to those plastic spacers as they would anywhere else?
    Last edited by Norsican; 03-27-2008 at 03:40 PM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i glued my tweeter cups to that plastic piece when i did my first component setup.

That will be your easiest way.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I'd say just buy yourself some good 2 way 6.5" speakers with the plastic brackets to hold them into the door as no drilling will be required. Just put a few screws in connect the wires and snap it into the door. The 2 way has built in tweeters. so just leave the stock tweeters alone and unhooked. You dont have to replace them unless you want to do a top notch show audio rebuild. Then you might want to look into dynamating the doors, as I hear this will increase the performance of your drivrs in the doors. When you look for anything for audio on crutchfield, they ask if your truck has on star or not. I think its because the on star plays into your speakers or something. But something as simple as speakers cant hurt it. But the head unit you might want to be a lil more careful about.
    Last edited by Undisputed King; 03-28-2008 at 08:03 PM.
    2000 Silverado Ext -
    10" Whiplash Susp, 20" KMC Rockstars, 36" Swampers, Super 40,Panasonic HU, PG RSD, JBL Px300.4, AQ HDC315 3.6cu ft @ 38Hz, Crunch GP3000D, 1/0 & 4 AWG, Deka Grp 31

2001 Yamaha YZF-R1 -
    Leo Vinci Slip-on, Hot Cams, K&N, +3T Rears

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Here's what awaits you. The GM speaker is a proprietary mount. There are no screw holes for aftermarket installs:

The plastic ring you see me holding is the snap-in speaker adapter plate given out by Crutchfield with purchase of door speakers.

I've since then replaced them with home made wood adapter plates I drilled and screwed on.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The other thing I should mention is that if you're not going to install an amp, make sure your front door replacement speakers are very efficient (SPL of 92dB or greater) because head units don't have much power.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

What swampfist says, he knows his chet. You'd probably be better off going with an amp in the install if your budget allows as you will be able to probably get louder and clearer because of the crossovers built in, in the amp to keep the speakers from hitting those unwanted low tones at high volumes so they wont get distorted. But then again everyone has their own preferences.
    Last edited by Undisputed King; 03-28-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    2000 Silverado Ext -
    10" Whiplash Susp, 20" KMC Rockstars, 36" Swampers, Super 40,Panasonic HU, PG RSD, JBL Px300.4, AQ HDC315 3.6cu ft @ 38Hz, Crunch GP3000D, 1/0 & 4 AWG, Deka Grp 31

2001 Yamaha YZF-R1 -

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by swamp_fist
    because head units don't have much power.
    ALOT of people do not understand that!
    gallons per mile...

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Swamp,

your GM is the exact color of my 97. I put some polks and alpines in that one so I know about the brackets. The tweeters in the "new" 01 is what I'm looking at. =)

All~
    On the amp. I'm looking for something that is going to sound good in the truck. I could care less what it sounds like outside the truck. What benefits does the Amp bring that I'm not aware of in my situation?

Dumb Question: What is "SPL?"

Nick Z71

SPL is more of loudness than sound quality. i have a set of 6.5's and 4x6's for sale if your interested.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My truck's an '01 as well. The tweets are mounted to the back of the removable door panel itself. You can see the cutout on the left:

As GITRDONE said, SPL is an abbreviation for sound pressure level - measured from 1 meter away from the speaker being driven with 1 W of power. It's the standard unit used to define the efficiency of a speaker. A difference of 3 is twice the volume, so a little goes a long way towards efficiency.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

what would be the best aftermarket speakers to run without having an amp other than the headunit.
    -2002 Chevy Silverado, LS, 4x4, - 16x10 Eagle 186 - 305-70-16 Mastercraft MT's - True Dual Straits w/ Magnaflow X-pipe - K&N 77 Series CAI, Ford Keys + 4" Block...sold
    -96 Sonoma with 4.3 liters of fury rolling on 15's

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

the stock ones...

stock speakers in baffles and sealed doors would be better than non ampped speakers in a bare door IMO

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt1672
    what would be the best aftermarket speakers to run without having an amp other than the headunit.
    My left front speaker was starting to crackle when I bought my truck, so I did a quick replacement with Polk DB series 6 1/2". Way better than stock.

Make sure to get speakers with efficiency of 92dB or greater if you're not going to use an amp.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Its weird that my driver front stock speaker went out on my 2000 Ext Cab Silv. The cone completely tore off the coil (center piece), and on my moms truck the exact thing happened on the driver side front stock speaker, and hers is a 2002 Ext Cab, and then yours Swamp Fist. Do you guys think its something about the conditions in the driver side door? Maybe all the slamming?
    Last edited by Undisputed King; 04-01-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    2000 Silverado Ext -

2001 Yamaha YZF-R1 -

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed King
    Its weird that my driver front stock speaker went out on my 2000 Ext Cab Silv. The cone completely tore off the coil (center piece), and on my moms truck the exact thing happened on the driver side front stock speaker, and hers is a 2002 Ext Cab, and then yours Swamp Fist. Do you guys think its something about the conditions in the driver side door? Maybe all the slamming?
    Good point. Well, the drivers door gets the most use on any car, so if it's not the slamming, maybe it's the water getting onto that paper cone? Each time that window's opened in the rain, it dumps a healthy dose of water down into the door.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Still looking at this. Thanks for all the replies.

I'm wondering what the opinions on these two speakers are for the front doors?

Polk Audio db651s

or

Infinity Reference 6022si