FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump?

Well, my OBS '99 Tahoe 4dr quit running last week. I can't hear the pump come on at all and normally, its a loud mofo. The pump fuse looks good. I'm going to try replacing the FPR today and see if that does anything, though I don't have much hope.

With about 132k miles on the clock, I'm pretty sure its time to replace the fuel pump and associated pigtail connector. Unfortunately I don't have the time, tools or space to handle a fuel pump replacement in the normal method. Truck is parked in a tight 1 car garage at my apartment complex. If I try to push it out of the garage, there's no way I will be able to push it back in due to the slight grade leading into the garage that my pushing wont be able to overcome. I won't be able to push it around either due to the uneven pavement around my garage area and the dumpsters that are about 25' in front of my garage door. I can only push the truck back far enough so that i can get in front of the truck and pop open the hood.

I could get my truck towed to a shop, but so far, a few of the chain places around here are asking a nut-kicking price of $600-$900 to fix this. I don't have that kind of money right now and probably wont have it for a while, but I need to drive.

So that leaves me to figure out a more creative way of resolving this problem. I would like to know where I need to cut into the floorboard so that I'll be able to access the fuel pump from the top. This seems to be the most practical solution in my case because I'll be able to just get by with the cheap generic auto parts store fuel pump at a much lower cost. Heck, for the cost of 1 ac delco pump, I can afford to replace my pump with a generic and carry at least 2 spares.

Has anyone done this before? Any write ups or tips?

I also had a question about the hammer/mallet on the gas tank trick. Does this require 2 people? Or can you turn key to ON position, bang on the gas tank a few times, then try to crank the engine? Where exactly are you supposed to hit the gas tank anyways??

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: OBS 1999 Tahoe - anyone cut an access panel for fuel pump?

Not sure about the hammer trick, but in the burb, the pump is in the middle of the tank and I'd bet it's the same on the Tahoe. Are you sure you wouldn't be able to drop the tank and do it even in that small garage? On the burb you could since you can get to it from the back, but I know the Tahoe has the tank a little further up. Do you have to get to it from the side?

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Just leave the key on and tap on the center of the tank. If there is any life left in the pump you should hear it kick on.
    2002 :fsc: 2500HD with an 8.1L/Allison

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

You can see the top of the pump assembly and the connector from within the wheel well. I contemplated cutting an access panel at one time.

'96 Tahoe...5.7 Vortec...4wd...~205,000...Stock

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

well if you want to cut up your truck, thats your choice. now i would recomend getting the ac/delphi pump as your replacement. i went the cheap route and bought an airtex pump, it lasted under 12k miles and just over 1 year. also, make sure your getting power to the harness, check at relay, and check at pigtail. would suck to cut the truck up to find out it was a bad relay or blown fuse.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Check the fuel pump relay & more importantly, the female sockets that each of the relays male prongs insert into. They overheat and melt the plastic of the power center, due to excessive voltage resistance caused by the dreaded fuel pump pigtail harness's crappy connections on the fuel pump & mounting plate. You can't test the relays function by swapping in another relay from the power center, as the fuel pump relay is different from the others. I would go pick up a new relay at the auto parts store.
    Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 03-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have thought about cutting a door in my suburban floor a couple times. 42 gallon tanks are heavy and a bitch to drop especially when full.
    97 Suburban 4X4 Vortec 5.7L K1500 4L60-E 3.42 Ratio

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by madaaron
    I have thought about cutting a door in my suburban floor a couple times. 42 gallon tanks are heavy and a bitch to drop especially when full.

I've got a 98 burb and had a 89 burb... the tank is not heavy... it's heavy only with gas in it... I had to do the '89 pump with the tank 1/2 full since it went dead in a parking lot and I didn't siphon out the fuel. Dumb mistake. Big PIA.

The '98 burb fuel pump change was MUCH easier since I siphoned the fuel out first. And even with the 42 gal tank I was just able to drop it with my floor jack and no straps, etc...

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

To OP:

I'm not sure of the tank situation on a four door, but on my two door, it looks as though I could drop the tank in the truck's own footprint. The tank is right behind the rear axle and I could probably drop it reasonably quickly.

I would recommend sticking your head under the truck and taking a peak to see if it's straight forward, straight down drop. If it is, roll the truck ahead a few feet and go to town.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Well, I just spent 2 hours in the garage. About 30 mins checking all my fuses, cleaning connections, replacing the fuel pump relay with an Autozone one, pulling that big damn annoying door chime module, banging the sheeet out of the gas tank with a rubber mallet and the key on. I'm getting good power at the relay. I tried cranking anyways to build up oil pressure to bypass the FPR. Gauges showed the oil pressure building, but it didn't fire up. I cannot hear the pump at all. I know its not priming.

Then I spent 1.5 hrs tuning my mountain bike I've been riding it to work the past 2 weeks with only 4 working gears and a chain that falls off whenever I hit a bump. I finally adjusted everything so that I have 24 gears again.

I probably have 20 gallons still in the gas tank...so dropping that would be a major PITA. We're not really allowed to do anything in our garages at my apartment complex except park. They don't even let you keep a jack next to the car. They're such nazis I can't imagine what would happen if they saw me syphoning gas Plus, there are apartments right above the garages.

I'd have to lower the tank to check the wiring at the pump anyways right? I have no problem with cutting through the floorboard if I can manage to seal it back up ok. I was thinking of getting a reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade and putting something like a 10" x 10" right below the leftside rear seat. I'll have to find some sheetmetal to cover up the hole afterwards. I plan on using a gasket and dynamat to reduce any extra cabin noise.

My main concern is safety. How much space is there between the tank and the bottom of the body? Are the fuel or power lines attached to the body or the tank?

Anyone know how to remove the carpet? Do I gotta pull the seats front and rear, along with the door trim on the floor to get to that area under the rear seat?

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

This looks like the pump I'm going to need:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...al%20MFG%20OEM

Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - Actual MFG OEM
    w/o RFI Filter
    Delphi
    Item#: DFPFG0089
    Price: $219.00

I don't care if I currently have the RFI filter or not, but I'm buying the cheaper OEM pump. From what I understand, its just an additional wire on the harness. The stereo is stock and sounds like crap as it is

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Did one the other day for our detailer at the dealership I work at, hes's got a '92 Iroc, we just cut the panel/floorboard open and pulled it out, camaros are hardlined so we used tubing cutter and put in fuel hose about 2 inches long for each 4 lines, thats what he wanted to do cause he also had limited space in detail bay, much easier than pulling tank on a Iroc.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

make sure you have the quick disconnect tools, wire strippers and crimpers to do the pump and the size sockets needed if you drop the tank, or the above mentioned disconnect tools and wire strippers and crimper tool + all the related tools needed to gut your truck to do a hack job replacement and accociated sealers and what not. time wise to drop the tank and r&r should be less than 2 hours max. time to cut truck up and r&r pump(hoping not to cut through fuel lines) and then splicing new harness in through a little hole in the floor, then sealing the hole and reinstalling the interior carpet and seats.............. maybe a day. good luck, please take pics and do a how to...... just curious

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I"m leaning heavily towards cutting a hole I think I will go pick up a reciprocating saw tomorrow at Sears and try to do some cutting if I can figure out how to get the carpet out properly.

I wanna do something like this guy except I'll probably duct tape one of those tinfoil turkey pans with a rubber gasket to the hole until I have more time. That'll at least prevent any exhaust fumes or excessive noise in the cabin for now.
    http://stangler.com/motorsports/arti...cess/index.htm

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by trailwart
    make sure you have the quick disconnect tools, wire strippers and crimpers to do the pump and the size sockets needed if you drop the tank, or the above mentioned disconnect tools and wire strippers and crimper tool + all the related tools needed to gut your truck to do a hack job replacement and accociated sealers and what not. time wise to drop the tank and r&r should be less than 2 hours max. time to cut truck up and r&r pump(hoping not to cut through fuel lines) and then splicing new harness in through a little hole in the floor, then sealing the hole and reinstalling the interior carpet and seats.............. maybe a day. good luck, please take pics and do a how to...... just curious
    Thanks for the list, I almost forgot about the disconnect wrenches.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by ElementX
    I wanna do something like this guy except I'll probably duct tape one of those tinfoil turkey pans with a rubber gasket to the hole until I have more time. That'll at least prevent any exhaust fumes or excessive noise in the cabin for now.
    http://stangler.com/motorsports/arti...cess/index.htm
    yes, I actually said that...

No room for my brilliance Honey Bear's Avatar
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

A recip saw would be the exact wrong way to go. With teh lenght of the blade it would be far too easy to saw through your tank, fuel lines, and wiring. If you deside to undertake this insanity use a cut off tool or a nibbler to make the hole. Save the piece you cut out and ad some tabs to it and put it back in place and silicone it in.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    you're a big paul bunyan lookin mutha fvcka.. i'd be scared to tell you not to pee in the middle of the back yard and not to leave your beer cans in the shower

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

element:

I have not done it, but its a great idea.

my father in laws buick has a bolt in panel in the trunk, just unbolt it and there is the fuel pump access.

why could gm have not done that in the bed for x million chevy pickup and suv's

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell1
    element:

I have not done it, but its a great idea.

my father in laws buick has a bolt in panel in the trunk, just unbolt it and there is the fuel pump access.

why could gm have not done that in the bed for x million chevy pickup and suv's
    Because they would be admitting a fault. And of course, it would cost more.