FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: my 98 gmc nightmare project

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

my 98 gmc nightmare project

I'm just getting started on my truck. Its a 98 GMC stepside with a 4.3L.. Haven't had much time to do anything really.. I started with the stake pockets, welded them up. then shaved the tailgate handle, and the door handles.. Put a remote kit for the doors to pop open..I primer sealed it all white and wanted a feel for what green would look like, so i sanded off the white and made a green up. It came out a mint green lol.. Since then i frenched in a tag box i made. And then this past Labor day i had two days off in a row so i suicided the doors (was pretty fun).Just have to get all the old hinge pieces off still.. Im proud of what ive done myself so far. As for the suspension its all DJM-spindle an springs up front.. and flip-notch-hangers out back.. I want to do my first bag and body drop in the upcomen spring.. Cant decide on a front set-up cause its all new to me, I just want to lay frame on some 20s with like a 35-40 profile.. I dont know what ill need. But out back im pretty stuck on doing a parallel four link, an 8 piece frame notch kit with a custom bridge cause the bags will be via a suicide doors Cantilever Rear Lift System( im hopen).. And im guessing RE7 bags? if i got that rite..But ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 98nightmare; 09-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: my 98 gmc nightmare project

yep make a photobucket account and just copy and paste the [IMG] code into the comment thing. sounds like its gonna be a nice truck too
    Thanks botman
    1992 GMC 2wd RCLB - STOCK 350/4l60
    1982 Chevy 2wd RCLB - Hot rod project awaiting mild 355
    1978 GMC 4x4 RCLB - Fresh stock 350/TH350

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The only pics ive really got so far for whats been done... few with wifes camera (huge pics).. few from my phone (suck) lol...

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Looks very nice...idk something about the color I really like, but idk what it is lol.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Diggin' the suicide doors and the smoothie bumper. Nice work and not something you see everyday on the doors.

Wasn't really trying to rag you on the static drop thread, but it really surprised me to hear the issues you're having with it. Ya didn't have to delete your post.

Richard

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Diggin the color. Nothing like Studebaker Blue. When you bag it, you need to upgrade to a V8. You'd be surprised on how having more power makes you love your truck that much more.
    I carry because I'm too young to die, too old for a beating, and cops are too heavy.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

its looking good man
    keep us updated
    stock 97 GMC.....for now

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

its looking good man
    keep us updated
    stock 97 GMC.....for now

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Richard -its ok man.. seems every time say something here someone rags on me about it.lol. probably since im new here, ive had allot of problems with my drop. thats why i call it my 98 nightmare.lol.. the majority of my problems are the roads here man, there bad. real bad...
    Last edited by 98nightmare; 09-23-2010 at 04:45 PM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywolf8588 View Post
    Diggin the color. Nothing like Studebaker Blue. When you bag it, you need to upgrade to a V8. You'd be surprised on how having more power makes you love your truck that much more.
    I actually love the way the little 6 sounds.. I had a 350 in my last truck, but i do miss being able to boil the life out the tires and sending the speedo back around..lol
    Last edited by 98nightmare; 09-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by 956moe View Post
    its looking good man
    keep us updated
    Thank you! I sure will man.. It may be a slow going build but i plan to do as much as possible every chance i can :)

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Chago View Post
    Looks very nice...idk something about the color I really like, but idk what it is lol.
    Its actually a mistake on my part.. I wanted a lime green primer but most of the paint shops here have gone.. The few new ones there are now only sell weird brands of paint.. couldn't get a lime green primer sealer mixed They told me to get their hunter green primer and gave me a few shots of white in a can an told me to play around with it till i liked it.. After dumpen all the white in the green this is what i got.. Figured what the heck.. It'll be easy to spot in public! lol

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

to help you out with the front your going to need bag cups...bags...and some cutter wheels to cut out your pocket....if your going to use arms...you will only need the upper cups...

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

oh and as far as getting ragged on dnt get mad it happens to all of us...we all say stupid sh!* some times

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I really appreciate that man, seriously. Yea, ive seen everyone do it so many different ways.. I was wondering about "spring pocket eliminators" there prefab from airbagit. Id rather get them elsewhere but cant find them.. And i noticed a build on here where the guy used arms but when he finished, it didn't give him the drop he needed to achieve.. said he wished he would of just "dehumped?" the factory arms. It made me really think about it. He did allot of really nice work just to end up sayen that. Do you just cut out the majority of the center of the arms and weld back some 1/4" in its place? Id really like to see someone who's done that.. And not to sound stupid, but whats the hype with the RE7 bags?(never had bags) Everyone's maken me want em lol...

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i have d hump arms...but i really love the chopping block arms i use this arm on a few truck and they work fine i also have these on my tahoe....there kinda of alot...(resale sale lincense baby) lol...as far as airbagit i never liked there stuff just looks cheap...you dont have to cut to much for the pocket just enough to clear the bag....cut little by little and check if the bag clears....as far as the re7 they are the best bags...slammes came out with the ss to replace the re's plus the ss hold more psi and work just as good

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Cool, id like to d hump mine for now, being its my first and my main transportation lol.. Are the chopping blocks the arms that come out straight half way then angle up steep?

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

kinda of ill post some pic of the arms when i get to the shop...if you d hump you will be able to lay out just fine.....and updates

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

chopping block arms dont make the job any easier they just look nice. trust me I still am a little pist with mine you have to trim SOOOOOOOO much of your frame to get them to lay a 24" like they advertise.