FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

Thread: Larger PF48 - PF63, Finally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Larger PF48 - PF63, Finally.

Was on BITOG today...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2031982

Looks like there is finally a larger filter than the PF48 for us 07+ owners, the PF63. Appears to be a real Delco core, not the crappy e-core ones.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Larger PF48 - PF63, Finally.

Mods, please edit title to "Will tars fit wit crank???//" or "4x4 doesn't work"...

EFI Live
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

-Alex

Thanks to:
    Dustin @ Diesel Addiction
    Rick @ Pro Fab Performance
    John @ Kennedy Diesel

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Anybody spun one of these on yet? Or will I be the guinea pig next oil change?

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

definitely a lot longer then what i use.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by NEUMANNZZ View Post
    definitely a lot longer then what i use.
    Lots of room for it, and filter specs seems to the same other than length. Larger media would reduce use of the bypass under high demand.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

my car takes a 61, but whats the difference in regular, e and f they list too
    04 Avalanche Z71
    87 Firebird, 07 Monte Carlo lt, 08 lucerne cxl
    some previous; 99 GMC Yukon SLE, 89 350/5spd, 04 550 cclwb, 03 2500hd ccsb, 06 2500hd eclb, 03 sclb 2500hd

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Couldn't get a PF63, had to get a NAPA gold 7060, which is thier version of a PF48. Didn't have the NAPA gold version of the PF63 either. Doesn't appear to be a common PN, so might be harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyHauler View Post
    my car takes a 61, but whats the difference in regular, e and f they list too
    E=crap. AcDelco changed cores, no longer made by Champ Labs. Anything with an E suffix is an "e-core", and not well recieved by the oil nerds.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

ahh sneaky
    04 Avalanche Z71
    some previous; 99 GMC Yukon SLE, 89 350/5spd, 04 550 cclwb, 03 2500hd ccsb, 06 2500hd eclb, 03 sclb 2500hd

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

ahh sneaky
    Very. From what I have read, AcDelco threw these "e-cores" on the market without the E suffix at first.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    E=crap. AcDelco changed cores, no longer made by Champ Labs. Anything with an E suffix is an "e-core", and not well recieved by the oil nerds.
    Are you sure about that? It disagrees with what I've heard...... basically that Champion Labs got GM's business for filters when GM shut their own down. They built them to similar/same design as GM until the E-core was developed and GM accepted it for their use. Many of the other Champion Labs filters use the E-core design, too.

GM has brought back the original (or close to it) design in some models...... presumably made by Champion Labs. I gave up on AC Delco filters for my truck. The only way I can get regular PF1218 is if I buy a case. I'll probably go with Purolator or Wix........ so far it's been Purolator.

I think the re-introduced non-E-core filters have a suffix on the end to, but I can't remember what it is.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
    Are you sure about that? It disagrees with what I've heard...... basically that Champion Labs got GM's business for filters when GM shut their own down. They built them to similar/same design as GM until the E-core was developed and GM accepted it for their use. Many of the other Champion Labs filters use the E-core design, too.

GM has brought back the original (or close to it) design in some models...... presumably made by Champion Labs. I gave up on AC Delco filters for my truck. The only way I can get regular PF1218 is if I buy a case. I'll probably go with Purolator or Wix........ so far it's been Purolator.

I think the re-introduced non-E-core filters have a suffix on the end to, but I can't remember what it is.
    Maybe champ labs is making the e-cores, , but the general consensus on BITOG is they are total crap.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I guess I will stick with the supertech st3506 for now.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

thats why i asked about the e, its what came on my monte when i got it from a caddy dealer, it must be what they use. they had changed the oil. i have been getting them from walmart which is always suspect for having lower quality for something you think is the same. i havent really looked around to see if the regular one is available for reasonable money
    04 Avalanche Z71

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

thats why i asked about the e, its what came on my monte when i got it from a caddy dealer, it must be what they use. they had changed the oil. i have been getting them from walmart which is always suspect for having lower quality for something you think is the same. i havent really looked around to see if the regular one is available for reasonable money
    Just open the box and look into the filter. The e-cores look totally different, here's a good cutaway shot from BITOG. 2nd and 3rd filters cut open.... 3rd one (e-core) failed, LOL.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...06202&page=all
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 11-04-2011 at 08:39 AM.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

WIX is making an equivalent now too... PN 57045.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Picked up the WIX last night, a solid 2" taller than the PF48. Will be another 3K mi before I need to spin the sucker on though.

Doesn't seem like many are doing this swap, suprising given the long OICs the OLM shoots for.

It's What Lurks Within...
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I read as much of that bob's site I could stand and yes the E core looks cheap inside..... just like the AC Delco filters I had cut open 6 or 7 years ago. They did the same thing where the media was flattening out on one side of the can and all bunched together around about 3/4's of the can. Nothing tore however in my instance.

I don't see the need really for a larger filter and just run the short version on my 05. I went around 14000 miles on my last oil change, dumped the filter once at around 7000 miles and topped it up. I just let my OLM run out twice. That was using Mobil 1. This time I am using an EA15K32 filter and then 5W30 Amsoil full synthetic. I plan to run it to the advertised 15000 mile drain interval and take a sample to see what I have at the end. I don't like changing oil, lol.
    JUST FOR CLARIFICATION

I hate GMT900 trucks period.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Badass69 View Post
    I read as much of that bob's site I could stand and yes the E core looks cheap inside..... just like the AC Delco filters I had cut open 6 or 7 years ago. They did the same thing where the media was flattening out on one side of the can and all bunched together around about 3/4's of the can. Nothing tore however in my instance.

I don't see the need really for a larger filter and just run the short version on my 05. I went around 14000 miles on my last oil change, dumped the filter once at around 7000 miles and topped it up. I just let my OLM run out twice. That was using Mobil 1. This time I am using an EA15K32 filter and then 5W30 Amsoil full synthetic. I plan to run it to the advertised 15000 mile drain interval and take a sample to see what I have at the end. I don't like changing oil, lol.
    I would be interested in the UOA results from that long service.

I stopped using mobil 1, and switched to pennzoil platinum, as it goes on sale for $25 for 5qt jugs very frequently here. From everything I have read, UOA's have been same/better with PP over mobil 1.

I just think that the OE filter is so small that after half an oil service life, the bulk of the oil is going through the bypass under load due to limited media availability. Just my OCD on oil service talking though.

It's What Lurks Within...
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Realistically like a K and N filter an oil filter works better once it starts to get dirty. I doubt that the bypass is a factor because as cheap as GM is, they wouldn't want guys doing the 6000 mile services on conventional oil following the OLM and chewing up bearings. I mean they "say" they warranty to 100000 miles... Hard to say though. When the oil comes back with a lack of contaminents and is still in serviceable shape I wouldn't worry much. I suppose if you do nothing but ingest dirt all day everyday like in a desert it might be a better idea to run a larger filter or go shorter intervals.

I went 10000 miles.... or maybe more actually on my old 09 GM work truck I used to have. It had mobil 1 in it like always, and still came back serviceable and clean according to analysis with the short stock filter on it. I used to always be such a stickler on short intervals until I started analyzing oils.

That 09's engine actually grenaded under warranty, losing a lifter ( LY6 6 liter so not an AFM engine) a little while ago. They noted the engine looked good and clean inside.... minus the lifters were all in poor shape and one had fallen apart and ate a lobe off the cam. Only had just over 60000 miles. Ticked louder than any LS I have had right from day one which of course was "normal".....But it was an epic fail as a vehicle in general, and it along with a fleet like it led to my signature......
    Last edited by Badass69; 02-03-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    JUST FOR CLARIFICATION

I hate GMT900 trucks period.