Canon XSI people, look here

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA
Im seriously looking into buying one in the next few months, I should have two jobs lined up here and another one if I want it but whatever lol

Anyway, Im going with Canon. Most likely the XSI to be exact. Reason im going with it is 1. My dad is familiar with Canons and he has a 87-89 EOS 650 with some accessories that im pretty sure would be interchangeable with the XSI. 2, the Canon seems way better than the Nikon :lol

I've been interested in photography for quite awhile and I want to see if I can make a dollar or two somewhere to help pay off equipment.

Guys that have them, do you like it? What lenses do you use? Any suggestions welcome!

btw I would mostly be using it at Motocross/quad races and taking pictures of trucks. I also want to get into some "macro" shooting and studio type stuff :D

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
Re: Canon XSI people, look here

Well, for the outdoors type stuff I'd go with the 75-300...its a good entry level long telephoto. I kind of regret buying the 55-250 when I got mine, but that's just me. I'd recommend picking up a "nifty 50" (50mm 1.8 II) fairly quickly for macro type stuff. Also that lens is generally only about $100. I'm using a Tamron 28-75 2.8 as my primary lens now, but really haven't shot enough to say great or bad things about it. Next purchase will be a 10-22 ultra wide angle for shows/museums and those types of crowded places.

fuel583

Sep 12, 2003
New Jersey

I'm lookin at getting the same model.... On sale on amazon.com for $550.00 now with the 18-55 lens..... Seems like a good deal. I hear that model is discontinued now?

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA

Well, for the outdoors type stuff I'd go with the 75-300...its a good entry level long telephoto. I kind of regret buying the 55-250 when I got mine, but that's just me. I'd recommend picking up a "nifty 50" (50mm 1.8 II) fairly quickly for macro type stuff. Also that lens is generally only about $100. I'm using a Tamron 28-75 2.8 as my primary lens now, but really haven't shot enough to say great or bad things about it. Next purchase will be a 10-22 ultra wide angle for shows/museums and those types of crowded places.
Sweet, my dad has a 50mm :D he also has a 100-200mm zoom lens, he said that one was about 200 bucks back in the day.

I was too looking at the wide angles..they seem fairly inexpensive too.

fuel583

Sep 12, 2003
New Jersey

Yea i went to go check it out at best buy and the girl said it was out of stock and discontinued..... not sure if that matters or not

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA

Well sh!t

by the time I could buy it there wont be no mo' :(

Guess I will just have to shell out some more $$$ for a T1i lol

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

Sweet, my dad has a 50mm :D he also has a 100-200mm zoom lens, he said that one was about 200 bucks back in the day.

I was too looking at the wide angles..they seem fairly inexpensive too.
A 10-22 is about $650. Inexpensive compared to a 70-200 2.8IS, or a 300mm prime...yes. Do I sense Trey money coming around?

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA

im just gonna see how this DSLR thing works for me with my dads lenses and everything then I will go from there..i've never had a steady job so I will be able to throw a little money here and there.

If I turn out to be good at it, i'll get into it further.

Last edited:

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA

with a body i would really rather it be new lol

lenses, i would buy used, but i would not buy them over the internets imo

if you buy a used lens and keep it in good condition, you could sell it for as much as you paid for it iirc?

Sep 23, 2009
Manassas, Va

Ive got the 18-55 and 55-250 is lenses on my xsi, totally hate both.......wish lenses wernt so expensive.
Im in the same situation, canon lenses arent worth buying until you get way up in the price. I also have a sigma 70-300 and it beats the hell out of my 55-250 canon for almost $100 less. I'm buying sigmas from now on.

Jan 29, 2005
Indianapolis, IN

I wouldn't necessarily say that Canon's are overpriced...and I especially wouldn't write them off and say you're only buying Sigma. Check the forums and see what people have to say about particular lenses. Since I can't justify or afford Canon L glass right now, I went 3rd party for my 28-75. General consensus is the Tamron is much better than the Sigma for the price, for that particular relative focal range.

As with anything else, do your research.

Jul 28, 2008
Norman, Oklahoma

Where did you see that the XSi was discontinued?

Trey... I've been using a XS that I got new... and I really wish I would have took the jump for a better used camera like a 50d. I love my XS but I would have been happier with a used 50d.