how to choose the right coilover spring rate??

Beaner 88

Apr 23, 2006
Las Vegas
I was tryin to figure it out but couldnt come up with an answer..i saw some QA1 precision products coil over spring kits on summitracing.com and they are rated in lbs. but is that for the rear of the vehicle or the whole car....I might install coilovers on my truck which is a 92 C1500 RCLB so any input will be appreciated..thanx

Beaner 88

Apr 23, 2006
Las Vegas
Re: how to choose the right coilover spring rate??

thats what im tryin to figure out...because i dont know whats a good rate for the rear...since my truck is a long bed and i dont know if a 500lbs rated springs will be good or maybe a lower ratting would be better

dalaigh

Jun 1, 2009
sarnia, ontario, canada

I'm going to say that the 500lbs c/o's may be a little stiff, I could be wrong. You wouldn't be able to haul what it used to haul in the bed, but if your going for performance minded suspension, it doesn't matter anyway. Your best bet if find the nearest weigh station that can weigh all four corners of your truck, then contact QA1 or a suspension shop that knows how to correctly calculate which spring rate would work best for your application.

Oct 5, 2001
In
ridetech.com

The only way to directly figure it out would be to scale all four corners. Once you have that information along with the installed heights ( eyelet to eyelet ), give a call to whomeever you are wanting to purchase the coil over through and they can certainly pick it out for you......

Beaner 88

Apr 23, 2006
Las Vegas

so how would i weight all four corners...would i be able to do that at a weigh station for trucks or do i have to weigh the corners separately??

Aug 21, 2006
Hell, Frozen Over.

The only way to directly figure it out would be to scale all four corners. Once you have that information along with the installed heights ( eyelet to eyelet ), give a call to whomeever you are wanting to purchase the coil over through and they can certainly pick it out for you......
:word: exactly what i came in here to say :aniteef:

Also, your needs for the vehicle will have a big effect on what spring rate you chose. If you were to ever use the bed of your truck for hauling or mild towing, then you'd want to keep a slightly stiff spring rate. If you are using this as a show/cruiser truck, then a softer spring could be chosen. If you're gonna get into all of that work, then you're gonna need to start doing some reading. If you're gonna run custom spring rates, then you have to factor in the amount of spring dampening you're gonna need. Gonna have to figure out you're rebound/compression rates and tune that (along with the shock travel as well) to get exactly the ride you want out of it.

That's about as basic as it gets, it depends on how serious you are. The reason these kind of coilovers are cheap is that they are generally universal (to a degree) which the customer then custom tailors it to his needs/driving style.

Beaner 88

Apr 23, 2006
Las Vegas

yea i just want the truck as a daily driver or cruiser....so i guess i will start doing some reading now ..thanx

Aug 21, 2006
Hell, Frozen Over.

No problem :D Not sure where to start you on the reading path, but i know the stuff is out there.
Other than my Civic, i had no other experience with street buildups. I'm mostly a 4x4 lifted truck guy LOL.

dalaigh

Jun 1, 2009
sarnia, ontario, canada

so how would i weight all four corners...would i be able to do that at a weigh station for trucks or do i have to weigh the corners separately??
some weigh stations can weigh axle by axle, so you could just devide those numbers for a rough estimate of what your four corners weigh, which in your case would probably be ok, or some suspension shops, the ones that do custom work, should have scales to weigh all four corners for a more accurate number.

don't for get you may have to ask the weigh station for permission to weigh your truck, because its not something they have to do.

Oct 5, 2001
In
ridetech.com

weigh stations are not going to be near accurate enough or do the job right. If you have some local dirt track racers near you or a race shop they can accurately scale it for you on a set of vehicle scales. The whole truck needs to be done at the same time at ride height on a flat floor. Something like this http://www.intercomp-racing.com/

Jun 16, 2016
Utah
I just added a sway bar from a C1500 Suburban...LOVE IT! (I got the links from a '90s F-expedition, [but recently discovered that pretty much the whole rear sway system from the Avalanche will fit the C1500 as well]).

I currently have some AC Delco professional monotubes, but I ordered some Gabriel spring assist shocks (coilovers) to help keep the rear axle triangulated, and I'll be ordering some Aldan American 700# coilovers for the front soon. I'll let you know how it goes.