Its time for a new camera

Mar 12, 2008
Champaign-Urbana
What ive got now is terrible for what i do.
I dont need a DSLR, i dont want a DSLR.

Im looking at cameras similar to this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...ci_sku=9327105&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218085897854

My price is range is up to about $420

I'll be using this camera to take a random family picture or two, pictures of stuff i work on, nature pictures every once in awhile but not too often.
Everyday stuff.

Anything to say about what i have got picked out above?
Know of something else that will be good to me and not let me down?
Know of another make or model of camera that compares to this one?
Let me know, i need some help with this decision.
I dont know the important stuff when it comes to buying a camera.

Thanks!
-Sean

Mar 12, 2008
Champaign-Urbana
Re: Its time for a new camera

Yeah im wanting to steer away from those little pocket point and shoot jokes.
The one i have now i paid close to $200 for it 2 years ago and its just not...
Its not what it use to be! lol this thing is terrible

Its a Sony PowerShot SD780IS

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

I love my Canon SX whatever it is (a couple of years old 8.0mp), kinda bulky in the pocket, but has survived several drops and some rain, and the quality seems fine to me.

Sep 19, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL

IMO, 420 bucks is an odd amount to spend for a camera. 60-70 more would get you an entry level dslr and you could get a nice point and shoot for a whole lot less than that. :dunno:

Chevytodd

Jun 28, 2006
Edmonton, A.B.

IMO, 420 bucks is an odd amount to spend for a camera. 60-70 more would get you an entry level dslr and you could get a nice point and shoot for a whole lot less than that. :dunno:
:word: If you want a nice little p & s, I'm pretty happy with my Nikon P5100. It has a lot of features that DSLR's off but at a more affordable entry price. When I can use this camera to it's full potential, I'll look into DSLR's. But for now, all that gizmos a DSLR offers would be lost on me.... Here is a quick write up on them :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp5100/

Bought the Canon about an hour ago
Coming from a DSLR guy, you should be happy with that camera. That is very much a pro-sumer camera and entirely different than your standard pocket camera. It is as good as it gets without jumping into an SLR and you don't have to carry/change lenses. With the 35mm equivalent zoom range of 28-560mm, you would have to spend a couple hundred on a couple SLR lenses to cover that half that range in just consumer grade glass. And you'd be pretty hard pressed to get out to 560mm with a DSLR for less than $1000. I LOVE my DSLR, but I have a lot of money tied up in it, my bag probably weighs 10lbs and I can only reach out to 200mm (although very much optically superior. :p )