Photo tips - Good photo angles

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Ive been snapping pictures here and there of my truck, trying to find good pictures..

out of all of them this one:

is the best i came up with.

can some of you post photos with how you snapped the pic or just explain the best way to get some awsome angles.

something other then this kinda shot all the time:

thanks!

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Re: Good photo angles

OKLAGMCRUISER said:
ya gotta lay down and get dirty...sometimes some of the best pics is when the camera is almost on the ground...imo
you have some good shots of your truck so i can get a feel?

Dallas_Longhorn said:
oh, your tires are thirsty.......
uh?

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

i did a high up angle, top of the ladder, that **** was scary...

but im thinking maybe i should go at a angle next time? this shot doesnt look right without seeing the bed

Apr 14, 2002
Dallas, Tx

It's not necessarily the angle of the truck that makes a picture, IMO the rest of the picture has to be interesting as well. Here is the only picture of my truck after the first paint job that I liked, sure its the same 'ol angle but the sky and apt building background add some different subtle touches that make it good IMO.

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

to codys point

i agree, i tryed to add some scenery to it with shots such as this

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/393000-393999/393631_150_full.jpg

just hard to find decent spots here, i need to go drive around and see what i can find.

Pat, i like that shot, looks good with some ground, check out wkdspd's avatar, thats a good shot, just gotta find that kinda open ground somewhere..

Nov 8, 2001
Garland, TX

not close to the ground, but ON the ground... :read: I get the best shots with the camera on the ground and tilted up about 15*. 3/4 shots are best, but make sure to get WAY away from the subject and zoom in, this helps reduce funky edges and curves that are caused by the 10-15 ft of depth of a vehicle and the camera trying to focus around it. try to take more picture than you need (bigger than just the subject), then adjust it with an editor. background is huge, try not to have anything sticking up out of the middle of the subject or that is overbearing, and make sure the background colors are either complimentary or neutral to the subject. glass buildings or tree lines make good backdrops because they are neutral, several buildings or any other broken background tends to draw the eye away, so avoid them unless they are a part of the subject, like Oklagmc's... hth!

May 4, 2002
Peck Ks

like cody said its all about the backround that makes the pic. i like to use old buildings in my pics. they just add more to the pic if you ask me . you need to take a drive around town sometime look for old warehouses/ gas stations are even new building that have a cool look to them .

btw could the thristy comment mean you need some tire dressing :dunno:

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

wkdspd said:
not close to the ground, but ON the ground... :read: I get the best shots with the camera on the ground and tilted up about 15*. 3/4 shots are best, but make sure to get WAY away from the subject and zoom in, this helps reduce funky edges and curves that are caused by the 10-15 ft of depth of a vehicle and the camera trying to focus around it. try to take more picture than you need (bigger than just the subject), then adjust it with an editor. background is huge, try not to have anything sticking up out of the middle of the subject or that is overbearing, and make sure the background colors are either complimentary or neutral to the subject. glass buildings or tree lines make good backdrops because they are neutral, several buildings or any other broken background tends to draw the eye away, so avoid them unless they are a part of the subject, like Oklagmc's... hth!

damn, nice chunk of info there...thanks!

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

IronMan2003 said:
ugh.... Scenery should remain behind the vehicle IMO..

usually i agree, but i was going for a peering through kinda look when i took that one, didnt work out therefor i never used it..LOL

mrflames said:
and turn the lights off
i dig the pic in my sig, i have yet to see a picture of somebodys truck taken angle with lights on, looked kinda cool to me.

and as for the thirsty comment, maybe so, only issue is i cant wash the truck yet and didnt want to do anything to the tires for the chance of getting anything on the paint

Along the lines of getting down and dirty, one of my favorite angles is with the vehicle on top of a hill, and taking the picture from down below; kind of a "King of the Hill" or "standing tall" look.

Before I traded in an old car, I realized I had no pictures of it, and decided to snap a few. It was already spotless for the trade-in appraisal. The particular parking lot where I took the pictures was somewhat tiered, where the car was in one lot, and to take pictures of the front, I had to stand in the lot just down a 4-5 foot drop below the car. Those turned out to be my favorites. I thought they made a rather mediocre car look pretty dang cool.

I don't have the best eye for framing shots, but do fairly well. I still take as many shots as possible, from various different angles.

Last edited:

LS6TT

Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

cool idea, i can try that as well, keep em coming guys these are great

once this is said and done maybe a mod wants to sticky this in the snapshots forum?