1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Re: 1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Update time!

Been working on the 90 again here and there. Whenever i can get time off work that is. Started reassembling things. Cab is back on (hopefully for good), dash and steering column in, most everything wired back up, finished the firewall notches for headers, sound deadened and seam sealed the freshly welded stuff, also decided to go ahead and scrap the stock heater box and just welded all the unnecessary holes up, smoothed and sprayed some undercoating on the firewall. I think it came out pretty nice. This truck is going to be my summer spring vehicle anyways so i probably wont even miss the heat. If i do...ill probably just buy the heater box summit racing has and just run defrost. On with the pics....

Pics of firewall smoothing and final result

Interior

couple random ones

I need a little help though. While plugging all of the wires back in i noticed that i had an extra plug that plugged into the non tilt column but doesnt have a spot on the tilt column. Can anybody tell me what its for i took some pics to help.

This is the plug.

It plugged in right here on the non tilt column

here is the tilt column...you can see that there are no prongs like the non tilt column for it to plug in to

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

hell yea man and she sounds real good. What kind of exhaust setup is that?
Thanks man! I really wanted to hear it run again since its been about 2yrs since it last fired.
I built the exhaust my self. Its got some cheap stainless ebay headers, to 2 1/2 true duals with flowmaster single chambers, and it turns out towards the pass side rear wheel. I actually just bought some mandrel bent pieces off summit and just cut and welded. Only time will tell how it holds up. I only have like 200 total including the mufflers and headers so i was able to do it super cheap. Heres a pic from a page back.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2009
London ON

I need a little help though. While plugging all of the wires back in i noticed that i had an extra plug that plugged into the non tilt column but doesnt have a spot on the tilt column. Can anybody tell me what its for i took some pics to help.

This is the plug.

I can't remember for sue, it's either the neutral safety switch or it's for the reverse lights. I'm pretty sure it's for the reverse lights. Is the tilt column from a manual transmission? (srry if you answered, I was just skimming)

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

I can't remember for sue, it's either the neutral safety switch or it's for the reverse lights. I'm pretty sure it's for the reverse lights. Is the tilt column from a manual transmission? (srry if you answered, I was just skimming)
Both plugs actually plugged into the neutral safety switch. The other plug that had the green and blue wire was for the reverse lights. I actually just swapped the NSS from the old column to the tilt one. Seemed to do the trick. Also the tilt column came out of a 2500 with a 4l80e so im not really sure why it didnt any prongs for that plug.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SC

I lol'd at the step brothers comment. Glad to see work going on with the truck again. I just got back from south east minitruck nats yesterday, while I was there I thought, I gotta get crackin on my truck again. Then I wondered what had become of your truck today while I was mowing. weird.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

I lol'd at the step brothers comment. Glad to see work going on with the truck again. I just got back from south east minitruck nats yesterday, while I was there I thought, I gotta get crackin on my truck again. Then I wondered what had become of your truck today while I was mowing. weird.
Thanks man. Hows things been going btw? Any progress with your truck? Always like seeing updates to your thread because we both started our builds right around the same time. Mine has taken longer than expected but ive had some detours and plan changes along with some setbacks and redoes...lol. I've had a blast so far with this thing and learned way more than i ever could have imagined.

As far as any more updates...there are really none that are worth showing. The front suspension/brakes are apart. Everything is new and freshly painted. Just sitting in a row nicely stacked on the lift for lazy old me to put it back together. Actually its probably going to happen soon as i need to clear off the lift to test fit some long tubes for my 04 :rolleyes:. Also going to be putting a cat back on a 02 TA soon.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Not a whole lot of progress to show but i have been finding a few hours here and there to work on it. Got the front suspension all back together. New calipers, pads, hoses, inner and outer tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints (came with the control arms). All are steering components MOOG except the ball joints. Actually everything is new this time around besides the rotors and bearings..which were replaced about 25xxx mi ago..and the DJM spindles i have. Going to finish up the rear next. Still need to finish my disc brake swap, bend a new brake line for the rear end and fill it up with fluid. Then I'll be able to bleed the brakes and hopefully take it for a spin after that.

Bought a GMC grill from the scrap yard for $20. Then traded my chrome smoothie and the chrome chevy grill for a straight painted smoothie and $100 cash.

And this is my shop buddy. Not really much of a helper..but he does drool on all my tools and tries to steal anything i drop..lol

Aug 16, 2009
SC

I haven't done anything to mine. Though I did notice a puddle of brake fluid under my right rear tire. I'll be changing the wheel cylinders soon. I've been thinking about my truck a lot more lately. LOL. That's a start I guess.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Pretty much finished the rear brakes tonight. Still have to run a new hardline on the rear end. Ran into a couple snags with the caliper not lining up but was able to solve it by welding a nut to the bracket to act as a spacer. Now the caliper is perfectly centered. I will probably end up welding the bracket to the rear end once i know everything works for sure.

beveled the edge first

This is how much i had to space the caliper on the bracket

This is pic shows why i had to to weld a nut to the bracket...it only had a few threads grabbing when i used the washers

Problem solved

If work isnt too crazy this week I'll bend up a hardline and hopefully have the brakes bleed soon. After that I will start bolting all of the body panels back on then take her for a test spin.

To do list:
Bleed brakes
Bolt body panels back on
Re install the rest of interior
install shocks
install e fan
body drop bed :bash:
body work/paint

Also I just passed the 3 year mark from when i started working on it. Time has flew by. Maybe another 3 more and it might be finished...lol

Last edited: