1990 SB Bag and Build thread

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Re: 1990 SB Bag and Build thread

after that you will have no time. might as well sell the truck, with your balls in the glovebox.

dont give us none of that "she's a great woman who loves my hobby" B.S. either.
:LOL:...Jimmy im guessing your either single...or divorced:LOL:..

Although i'd be lying if i said she likes me spending hours and hours out in the garage...And honestly i prob would have this thing done if i didnt have her...but relationships are all about sacrifices...you got to sacrifice some to get some...:naughty: (slight pun intended) lol..all in all shes a great girl and shes supports anything i do...

And thanks all for the good words...Got to clean up that disaster of a garage then ill be able to make some good progress.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Texas

nope, not single or divorced.....or married.

"we" have an understanding. i cannot complain though, she lets me hemmorage money on this stuff.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

ok got a little done...so i figured id post up some pics. Not really in any particular order since ive been taking these over the last month or 2..

welded some plates between the link brackets

Then cleaned up the rearend and put my new diff cover on...Not really into chrome but i couldnt find an aluminum one for the 9.5 14 bolt...so this one it was

pics of the rear back the truck along with freshly powdercoated 4 link bars and wishbone.. Doesnt exactly match the front Tube arms at all but oh well...It didnt cost me much and it breaks up the black a little

Built part of the exhaust...drivers crossover pipe and pass side with 2 flowmaster single chambers...Im going to just run the tailpipes pointed towards the pass side rear wheel..Also finally bolted the headers on, slapped an eldlebrock air cleaner i had laying around on, cleaned the engine up, replaced all the dry rotted wire loom, changed the plugs...I also painted or replaced all hardware, brackets, body mount plates or anything else that was rusty

Ill be off from dec 23 to jan 3 so i hope to get some stuff done in that time...
I think next on the agenda needs to be cleaning this.....

my garage is a disaster!!!^^^^...

After that im going to

Finish the exhaust
Touch up paint on frame...that i noticed in the pics above..lol
Fix the broken bolt and 2 stripped bolt holes in the 14 bolt
Then Ill bolt the cab back on and start reassembling..

I also still have to paint the front frame horns and finish weld and gusset them...but i want to check the gaps again to make sure i dont have to move anything.

But im pretty sure thats all for now ...Take it easy all and if i dont post before then.. have a Merry Christmas..

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2007
Texas

Nice work on the link bars.
That exhaust is going to be LOUD.
Now would be the time to weld in a balance tube or x-pipe,while its easily accessable.
Going to be a fun hot rod.:burn:

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

alright its warmed up a little and i quit being lazy so ive been working on it a bit lately.
If anyone ever wondered mid lengths will not work with a 2.5" body drop...at least not without a little firewall modification. lol.. But the cab is back on and i got the blower box back in with a little trimming but the heater core hoses are gonna be super close to the pass side header. Can i just bend it a little more?? Am i going to have to worry about the hose melting or even catching fire?? What is my other option other than deleting the heat all together??
couple pics:
cabs back on now...

here is the notches

here is the firewall side and you can see the clearence issues im having

let me know if anyone has any ideas...im gonna weld some filler panels in as soon as i figure this out...

defiantly header wrap it... maybe wrap both header and hoses right there.

if you try to bend them over more be sure to heat them up before trying to bend them over alittle more to clear. i would try to bend them up and over alittle, just try not to bend them to much or crush the lines at the bend! to tell you the truth what i MIGHT do is take out the heater core and cut those lines off and plumb up some new lines on it with some solder in 45degree turns to turn it over and have it angled upwards more to clear most of the header.... tho id probably still wrap them both just to be sure heat isnt a problem on those hoses or your new solder joints! maybe even notch the firewall alittle more so you can get them further away... then just solder the stock tips back on.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

defiantly header wrap it... maybe wrap both header and hoses right there.

if you try to bend them over more be sure to heat them up before trying to bend them over alittle more to clear. i would try to bend them up and over alittle, just try not to bend them to much or crush the lines at the bend! to tell you the truth what i MIGHT do is take out the heater core and cut those lines off and plumb up some new lines on it with some solder in 45degree turns to turn it over and have it angled upwards more to clear most of the header.... tho id probably still wrap them both just to be sure heat isnt a problem on those hoses or your new solder joints! maybe even notch the firewall alittle more so you can get them further away... then just solder the stock tips back on.

Ya i was thinking about wrapping them...I think i could prob just get away with bending the lines some more then wrapping them. Honesty this truck will prob not see very much cold weather and will never see snow again so heat isnt a great concern but its always nice to have it JIC.

One more question tho...I plan on putting some sound deadener in this cab and was worried about it getting hot/ catching on fire:fire:... around the places that i notched....as the headers are gonna be still pretty close.

Im thinking of putting something down in those areas that have a little heat protection as well. Any suggestions?

for the areas around the headers.... id use that aluminum backed insulation padding BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT HEAT RATINGS THEY ARE!!!!!!!!! so you might want to look into that for sure! and still wrap that header as well. ive heard that wrapping the pipes really cuts down on the heat around them BUT i dont know by how much. ive never used it myself! my dad bought some for his motor home generator but i dont know how well it worked if any.
i just googled some heat insulating mat
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5081227-dei...or-tunnel-heat-shield-24-x-21-3-16-thick.html
not the typical heat shield mat you can get from autoparts stores tho.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

ya man ill deff have to check into getting something like that. Dont want anything catching fire in the cab. And i know it would cut down on heat but i really dont want to wrap the headers if i can get away without. Its more of a cosmetic issue there. I just think it looks crappy. But we'll see i guess.

Feb 5, 2007
Texas

I jus PM'd you back and mentioned something but I hadnt seen these last few posts,so disregard.
I say ditch the heater core and make L&R cutouts behind the header down tubes.Screw some plates over the cutouts and when it gets cold,,just remove the plates. :rocking:

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Did you decide what you are going to do about the header clearance?
ehh...not really lol. I've had people give me some pretty good ideas, but just not sure which one. The first and The easiest (and worst looking) would be just to wrap the header and maybe even wrap the lines to be safe. Second and The cleanest looking would be to cut the ends off from the inside of the firewall and re-solder the connections and re-route them out of the way. Third would be not run a heat box at all. This is kinda the cheater way out and i have given it a thought considering this truck will prob never see bad weather ..let alone snow when its done.

Oh ya... its kinda funny you posted because i was gonna just post up a pic for the hell of it since i was out cleaning the garage today. Im getting married on the 18th of june so after that...i promise ill get crackin!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SC

Well congratulations.

I like the idea of reworking the lines, maybe put some elbows on whats already there. ? You will like some heat on those early spring mornings at the start of a show season.

IMO do the extra work and have heat! just because it wont see much winter doesnt mean it WILL NEVER SEE IT. who knows if your daily breaks down and you need to drive ur nice truck for a few days or so. just best to spend the time and keep your heat. AC is alot easier to live without over heat any day!

Sep 13, 2010
South GA

I agree.. no defroster is no vision.. id keep the heater, soldering it different shouldn't be to hard. Itd suck to wanna take a morning cruise in the fall and driven a sweet truck, yet wipen the windows with a rag to see :( Glad to here you'll be back on it again bro! And congrats with the wedding! Hope the day goes perfect for you man!

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

UPDATE!!...well not really i lied...lol.. been busy just chilling out this past summer. decided to take a break from the 90 for a bit. Went off and got hitched, went on our honeymoon to the dominican, dropped the 04 silvy and bought another bike.

I did do one thing....decided the 90 needed a lift....

Prob gonna be the best decision i ever made.. oh ..uhh..besides getting married that is...:rolleyes:

Bunk Beds! ...Now i have so much more room for activities!!!

The new toy is in this pic as well

As far as real updates...i really have nothing to show. Ive worked on it a little here and there. I test fitted the spare blower box i have and figured out what needs to be trimmed. Also bought some sound deadener and some header wrap. Found this heat mat to put on the floor board under the sound deadening (where the header notches are). Also for some added protection near the fire wall im going to just wrap the header primary closet to the fire wall. Will prob also wrap the heater core hoses as well.

Garage is clean..... I know have a furnace....Weather is getting $hitty...Updates will follow.. Take care all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!