1991 Chevy C1500 Project

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia
Re: 1991 Chevy C1500 Project

my transgo kit says to discard cushion spring for my corvette servo and install washers but I think it may shift too hard so Ill probably try the spring first and can always change if wanted. what do yall think?

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

went with the shims instead of spring. I had to get another pump rotor mine had chipped teeth I guess it happened when I cracked my flexplate. I thought my kit came with a new pump rotor guide if it did I cant find so I guess Ill try to pick one up tomorrow. Did all the valve and spring changes to my valve body just need to drill and plug some holes. I sure hope it works good when I get it back in the truck lol. Also torqued my other head down today.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

believe this or not but the machine shop that I took my heads to the owner asked me if I wanted a job and this was last thursday when I went to pick up my other head and he said if I wanted to I could give it a try and to show up monday at 8 well I did and Ive been tearing down heads and cleaning parts. Its just him and another guy. tuesday I torn his 454 that he bought with a truck that put a whole in the oil pan and bent the rod. today i asked him about some used vortec he had he said for 100 i could get them and do whats needed shaving, valve job, and whatever else I would just have to do it on lunch or after work. bad thing is I already painted both my heads and torqued them down. what should I do?

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
believe this or not but the machine shop that I took my heads to the owner asked me if I wanted a job and this was last thursday when I went to pick up my other head and he said if I wanted to I could give it a try and to show up monday at 8 well I did and Ive been tearing down heads and cleaning parts. Its just him and another guy. tuesday I torn his 454 that he bought with a truck that put a whole in the oil pan and bent the rod. today i asked him about some used vortec he had he said for 100 i could get them and do whats needed shaving, valve job, and whatever else I would just have to do it on lunch or after work. bad thing is I already painted both my heads and torqued them down. what should I do?
Get those vortecs and shave them and paint them. Someone will buy yours, the vortecs are well worth it for the extra flow.
That's cool that u got a job there. I need a better paying job lol

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

well i got my trans back together FINALLY. Thinking about picking up a new tv cable because mine has been broke for a while where it hooks to the throttle but still stays hooked. I dont really have any pics of it going back together but here are some I took today.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG] some of the paint came off when I removed the logo but kinda gives it a rugged look lol
[/IMG]
[/IMG] I decided to paint the pan red.
[/IMG]
[/IMG] sure wish i could get a stall lol but may wait to see how the trans is gonna act.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

still sittin on the table lol but theres a guy nearby maybe 30 mins but he was selling a 700r4 with new cable and dipstick and it had a 2200-2400 stall but the trans wouldnt take off in 1st and he only wanted 300 for all. I emailed him to see if he would sell the cable and stall. but yeah I like the way trans turned out better than expected lol. I just need to clean the other header and once I get the cable Ill start putting everthing back together Ill run these heads for awhile till I can get the vortecs done he wanted me to learn how to do everything first because Ill be doing the work by myself and you cant beat a 100 bucks maybe it wont be too long lol and still need to find an intake for them. And maybe it will be running this weekend.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

we'll see lol but i will try to get a vid may or may not be able to drive down the road till i get insurance. the guy with the stall hasnt responded yet i tried calling him but was after the hours he had listed lol may try again tomorrow. If nothing else Ill use mine till i find one but the chevrolet dealer would have to special order the detent cable and it would be $35. should I try to pick up the s10 torque converter or not worry about? Im gonna work at it each day after work to try to get it done

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Got the motor and trans set back in the truck today despite the raining off and on lol but it was a little aggervating. Tomorrow Ill just have to set the trans mount bolt into the hole of the cross member because it got dark on me. Also put the intake on when I had the motor out and I borrowed a lift plate from work so I wouldnt have to use the chain and so it wouldnt scratch my paint lol. got a pic just before I bolted the trans up but Ill post it tomorrow just to tired. Today I to clean a crank that was for a 648ci I belive lol it was big.

Oct 8, 2009
Northern New Jersey

i think 062 is better but the 906 just has bigger seats or something that people say restrict flow dont know exactly
Incorrect. If you want to believe what some idiot online said and a bunch of idiots repeated, go ahead. Truth be told not every 906 head had hardened seats nor where they only put in 3/4 ton or heavier trucks. Even with the 906 internet bashing, realistically deburring the heads or back cutting the valves would make them outflow 062 heads.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

thanks for clearing that up. the ones ive seen at work are 906s so ill probably be doing those just trying to get use to everything. I got to pressure check and shave and magnaflux a set of 062 for a customer he had 2.02 and 1.6s so I had to remove the intake valves because they were sticking past the head a little before I shaved them. Still pretty cool though. today after work I got the trans mount tighten down and in place. also got the driveshaft in place and got the headers bolted on and got some wiring ran back in place. Ill try to finish tomorrow lol but ill do as much as I can.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Not finished yet but real close. I believe all I got left is the power steering pully which is being a b because I think I may have ruined my threads to press it back on so I just walked off plus it was getting late also I have to set the core support back up and hook all the lines and hoses to the radiator and I need to pick up another relay for one of my fans and some power steering fluid and put my belt on. Once I get that done ill try to fire it up and Ill try to get a vid. also may do a road test lol.

91chevyss

Feb 1, 2013
georgia

Didnt get a vid but finally got it start and man it didnt want to I adjusted the valves both ways loose and tight changed the spark plugs with some older ones moved the dist. a tooth or so forward and back and then I pulled the plug to #1 and turned the engine till it blew my finger back of course with the help of my father inlaw and moved the dist. till it pointed toward #1 right before that we moved it 180 degrees and I hit key and it fired up but was blowing air out the head because I left the plug out lol but it sat there and ran possible still out of timing a little but everytime I hit the key it didnt hesistate and it sounded good. Ill do my best to get a vid tomorrow because it was around 11 when I finally got it to crank. Getting it to start made me feel alot better and I didnt give up lol and I have headache from all the gas and back firing. And I can tell you it runs much smoother and can hear the cam more just from tonight.