'39 Buick project/restoration

A

Al_97GMC

Re: '39 Buick project/restoration

what is this halloween deal i dont how you can stop yourself when you just spent 1800 :D

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Al_97GMC said:
what is this halloween deal i dont how you can stop yourself when you just spent 1800 :D

because I'm a cheap bastard...I only buy what I can pay for

Every year we have a theme Halloween Party....this year's theme is Mobsters/Gangsters

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

what I got done this week:

switched to another stripping tool-much better-finished the areas around 2 windows on the pass side (buy these at Wal-Mart...They're half the price of AAP or O'Reillys)...and the primer is $3.77/can at Wal-Mart--but $7.99 at AAP:

Determined that the engine is not locked up :clap:...The battery doesn't appear to be that old, but it is shot (won't take a charge either), so I can't get the starter to really wind up, but I can move the flywheel...which in turn makes the fan turn-so that's a good sign. The starter solenoid engages, but I don't have anything with enough cranking amps to make the starter engage :teddy:.

The most interesting find of the day...I thought the interior was the only place I'd find mouse carcasses...but they managed to make their way up inside the flywheel!!!--->see the seat cushion bits and acorn shells in the cover, and up inside.

There were some acorn bits inside the starter too. I blew air through it and bits flew out.

Dec 22, 2006
Bowie, Maryland

Finally got around to checking out the pics man. Very cool! Nothing says gangster/mobster like factory suicide dors, lol. Looking good so far.

Did you say it weighed 3700 pounds?! :eek:

My Chevelle weighs less than that!

Last edited:

You can put a 12volt charge or battery on it to get it to start, just don't turn any lights on or anything or expect to be buying new bulbs.

When getting a new battery get an 8volt battery, it won't blow your bulbs but gives you more power for the starter.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Small update....nothing much to look at so no pics for now, but I did get the starter going....one of the brushes was upside down. Go figure. It fires right up now.

I have done more sanding and priming, and my electric drill became the first casualty, but I have an endless supply of free drills because of Dad's work. I expect to go through a few of them.

Ty---never heard of an 8-volt battery. I wonder if they make them in the shape of the original one :think: The original battery is shaped like this (hence the tray is shaped accordingly) and I want to keep it all as original as possible:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

update: got the steering wheel the seller promised me because the original was broken...put it on! Now I can steer it when I need to move it around :rocking: If Gregg is the master of 1990's GM steering wheel swaps, I'm the 1930's equivalent :charge:

old:

new (actually rougher for now, but not broken :read:):

(and a shoutout for Black Bear :D, and yes for some reason my painted front bumper is holding up great, but the rear is peeling off :teddy:)

sanded and primed some more panels:

That drill is dead now...I have moved on to drill #2.

--70 year old door and it's as solid as my truck :head:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Finished the doors on the pass side and more of the roof:

Here are some pics of the one tire I have that, from everything I can tell, is original to the car. The other 3 (it did not come with a spare when I got it) are the wrong size (16x6--should be 16x6.5 like this one). The pinstriping on this wheel is more evident that the others too, which leads me to believe that this was the spare, and kept out of the weather (aka in the trunk). The pinstriped wheels were a $4.95 option in 1939.

I also scraped the remaining rubber off the pass running board:

..and a better pic of the sofa-like back seat that currently still smells like mouse piss, or whatever else pissed on it over the past 70 years.