'39 Buick project/restoration

Aug 4, 2010
Kansas City, Mo
Re: '39 Buick project/restoration

nice find man!!! too bad that black '39 got rear ended but I'm glad that the parts are going to be put to good use on your '39! :) That should be a good boost for your project!

Shippers don't like cars that don't roll. Business must be good because most just wouldn't even quote me when I described it to them. They are all brokers too, so they just list it and hope someone takes the job. I just happened across these guys after many calls, and they just happened to have a yard in San Jose, so they had a forklift available to put it on the truck. One company actually sent a guy with a car hauler to get it, under the impression that it rolled. I paid as much for shipping as I did for the car, but it was worth it.
Wow, I guess no one is hurting for some business. I am sure that if you bough the first car from MA and that one from CA , others will be needing parts from all over too, I bet in due time you can recoup your money.

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

My original car was bought by a local guy from Maine. No way was it worth it for him to do that, but I got it 15 miles away after it just sat fior 5 years here in Lexington, KY.

The interior alone would have cost twice what I have in this whole car. Not to mention the $1000 bumpers, $500 door handles, $500 glass, $500 door sills, $400 heater, $1200 wheels/tires, $500 working guages, $500 working wipers, $400 OEM headlights, I could go on and on. I can sell the good drivetrain, my old seats and dash, the extra doors and fenders, dash, wheels, guages, etc and probably pay for the car, which means it was essentially free.

This is a one year only body style, so virtually no body or interior parts are not reproed at all.

My original car was bought by a local guy from Maine. No way was it worth it for him to do that, but I got it 15 miles away after it just sat fior 5 years here in Lexington, KY.

The interior alone would have cost twice what I have in this whole car. Not to mention the $1000 bumpers, $500 door handles, $500 glass, $500 door sills, $400 heater, $1200 wheels/tires, $500 working guages, $500 working wipers, $400 OEM headlights, I could go on and on. I can sell the good drivetrain, my old seats and dash, the extra doors and fenders, dash, wheels, guages, etc and probably pay for the car, which means it was essentially free.

This is a one year only body style, so virtually no body or interior parts are not reproed at all.
Wow one yearm that is interesting. You can definitely get even on that and you didn't let that poor wrecked car go to waste.

Off topic, I visit my cousins every year in Georgetown for our family reunion. We are coming Thursday before 4th of July this year, maybe if I have time I could come meet you and see the car!

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

some updates for the past couple of months:

We have been continuing to fit panels and doors, making sure our repairs are good. Painted the interior. Everything fits pretty darn well so far. I have been able to sell a few extra parts so far since I have duplicates of almost everything, so that is helping recoup the cost of the parts car.

The next projects are massaging the rear so the truck lid fits better, and taking out the headliner on the parts car so we can cut out the metal above the visors and patch that. That should finish the welding as far as we can tell.

Aug 4, 2010
Kansas City, Mo

:drool: she is really taking shape nicely!!! I'm assuming that "wine" color on the dash is the color that the exterior will be when you get to that point or will it be black like the floor? I'm almost able to envision being driven on the road!

Oct 31, 2007
Kentucky

Actually the exterior will be a color called "sequoia cream" in 1939, with red wheels, like this car:

Current model Chevrolet Sparks can be had in what is now called "lemonade" that is almost identical. I'll probably use that formula since any shop can easily mix that. Old paint chips for this car are faded anyway. There are many shades of what is considered "correct" sequioa cream.

The black paint will all be covered by interior trim.

The dash is actually supposed to be a painted wood grain, and that wine color is the base color for it. Like the exterior, there are many shades of the "correct" dash color. We're not going to tackle that anytime soon, plus I have an extra dash, so at some point I might mess with that to see what kind of results I can get. The window trim is also supposed to be that fake wood grain paint design, like this:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2010
Kansas City, Mo

ah yes...I remember you mentioning the "creme" exterior from earlier in the thread :smile: I've seen that painted "woodgrain" before and it looks good when done right. Very nice progress. May be slow but looks top notch and will look outstanding when done!