88 Chevy EFI Offenhauser CrossRam, The evolution of a street fighter.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA
This all started as a average Stepside Chevy. Over the years it has evolved into a hot rod street fighter.​
I have this on another thread called Low Fast and Loud on 24's but since I no longer have 24's and I can't change the name of the thread I thought why not start a new one.
I swaped and old Sonoma for it back in 2004. It needed a lot of mechanical work.
A drug addict owned it so the mechanical side was all patchwork and the owner's unkle owned a salvage yard so there ya go.
The old Chevy back in 2004

and as of Jan 2013

the engine bay

and the progression

So hear the story continues

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Lanark, Ontario
Re: 88 Chevy EFI Offenhauser CrossRam, The evolution of a street fighter.

Should link this thread in the old thread, so those of us following don't get lost.

Sick build man! :cheer:

May 21, 2011
Loretto, TN

Ah, I saw the one pic in the other thread and just saw the corners. Thought it would be hard to see, but that looks good wrapped around like that. Keep it up!

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

I'm usinf 1 wat high power LED's they are crazy bright at full power. I have them dimmed down for running lights.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

yeah been a while... I never stopped working on the truck. It's just taking a long damn time.
My spot where i keep my truck is just big enough for the truck. It has no walls to wind and blowing rain is a problem.
Last year we had hard rain almost every day during the summer.

It's been raining for three weeks straight down here. My yard is saturated.
Until the weather warms up and drys out I can't finish the body work.
So for now I'm working on the tail lights and constructing a new battery mount where the spare use to go.
I'll also install a Hide-a-hitch just in case. I'm still on fence about installing an air ride suspension.
It's cool to be able to change the ride height at the flip of a switch but it adds complexity and extra weight.
Another down side is the constant maintenance to keep it working.
If you set it up to drop frame and you break a line on the road you are in a major bind.

I love hot rods and this truck is the closest thing I have to one. It's how I drive, I love to fry tires and speed around corners.
So that's why I lowered the suspension, dropped to a 3.73 ratio with a posi, and installed a rear sway bar.

The truck came stock with a quick ratio steering box and heavy front sway bar and pretty stiff suspension.
Next on the hot rod list was power, I pulled the engine out of my race car and adapted it for EFI, then I beefed up the transmission and changed the shift limit.

I installed new gauges and built a new instrument cluster to keep an eye on everything.

Now all this doesn't mean much if you don't do it with style, and that is the hard part.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2012
raleigh nc

awesome truck man!! I love the front end especially. with just the chrome outline and everything else blacked out looks pretty sweet. read the old thread also and the fender well tubs are a great idea.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

Yeah I fought with what to do about the wheel tubs for a while until looking at some spare ford finders hit me with an idea.
Unfortunately I'll have to rebuild the grill again. I built this grill just a couple years ago and already the chrome is pitting and peeling off. I'm the victom of cheap Chinese chrome. I just don't know where to get a high quality grill from. The last one came from Certafit out of houston. I'm tempted to remove the rest of the chrome and paint it for now. However as soom as my budget will let me I'll buy another chrome grill and maybe clear coat it.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

just finished one, now to do the left side.

I had problems with the camera when I turned on the brake light the camera darkened up the image.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

Thanks, I can't wait to finish so I can light it up. The next big challenge is adding the light strip inside the tailgate without making it look like a hack job.
I'm mounting this into the bodyline of the tailgate.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2010
starkville, ms

Dude this is one sick ride. Listen a couple of things....First how did you do what you did to the rear of your steps. Like behind the fenders GM decided to put ugly steps. You eliminated them...HOW? And 2 what gauges did you use for your new instrument panel. This is one sexy machine brother! Keep up the good work!