88 Chevy EFI Offenhauser CrossRam, The evolution of a street fighter.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA
Re: 88 Chevy EFI Offenhauser CrossRam, The evolution of a street fighter.

Finally went to my first truck show

Thought I'd post my finished tail lights too

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

Thanks y'all. I've been working to build a good overall performance truck. Something that can compete with some the best sports cars and still perform as a truck. Quite the challenge that's for sure.
I've got some nice Corvette seats I plan to install after I build a new interior. Up next is a new custom built transmission with a manual valve body and close ratio gear set. PATC should have everything I need to build this. I still have a lot of suspension mods left to do. I want to use a gen five Camaro rear independent suspension with a Corvette front suspension. This truck is continuously evolving so it will look a little different in a few years I'm sure. It looks far from what it did a few years ago.

Doober

Sep 28, 2003
Catalina, AZ/Swartz Creek, MI

Tapatalk updated and kicked me out of the app this morning in the midst of a long reply, pretty preturbed...

anyway...

My biggest draw was the fact of running Rochester EFI with such a modified engine... so many people just put a carb on when they build up an older SBC. I have my 700r4 out right now, replacing/upgrading the 2-4 band (toasted it with the 383) and the 3-4 clutches (started getting toasty, but were still holding up well enough for normal driving)...
2-4 band: #11CF, keeping the stock drum for now
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/700r4_Parts_List.htm#Bands

3-4 clutches
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=166&cat=52&page=1

These, along with some valvebody upgrades from TransGo (no full fledged shift kit yet), a .495" boost valve and Corvette servo should hopefully give me a good few more miles until I can afford a full fledged rebuild kit with all the bells & whistles (beast sun shell, possible input drum from PATC, dual cage sprag, etc.). I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money for that taller 1st gear set though... but we'll see :lol:

For the suspension/IRS... it would probably be a good idea to come up with some type of bracing since the bed isn't attached to the cab at all, so it's allowed to move independently. Take care of that and I bet it will handle a good deal better, even some type of bolt-in reinforcements to the bed will probably help.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

Sometimes replying with the phone can be tricky with this site. The guy that rebuilt my transmission in late 2004 said he installed a Corvette servo and made adjustments to make it shift hard.
When I installed it, it shifted perfect only once. It seems the builder didn't clean it properly and some trash got stuck in the valve body. He charged me an extra $250 to pull and reinstall the transmission. Of course he blamed me for not flushing the cooler. However I flushed the cooler then blew it out with the compressor. I took it for a drive from the shop a few days later and it still wouldn't shift right. The mechanic took it apart again and finally admitted there must have been some metal somewhere he missed when he cleaned the case. This was not my original transmission. The one he sold me was from a Camaro and he needed to change the plastic gear for a reluctor. He told me this transmission tore the gears up because of a bad O-ring.

A few days later I took it out for another drive. It shifted this time but had a funny 1-2 bump shift and it wouldn't go into overdrive. He said there may be a little bur in the valve body and it will smooth out. After a few days of driving it didn't until I shifted the lever from 3 to 4 multiple times and floored it and let off at 70 mph. There still was an annoying occasional bump shift. Other than that it would shift pretty hard on hard acceleration. A couple of years later the worn out 350 blew a head gasket.

I installed the overbored 350 from my busted Fiero project. I gave up on the Fiero after smashing every transmission and clutch I put in it. That's why I kept the stock tires on the car to help save stress on the transmission. Even with frying tires it still ran 12 flat at 118 mph. My truck now weighs exactly 1000lbs more than the Fiero did with the V8.

After a long road of trial and error I finally got my truck running 80% right. I was getting the tune pretty close when the 3rd gear clutch burned up. I knew from the first time I got on the gas with this new engine that transmission wasn't going to hold up long. The 1-2 and 2-3 slipped a lot more that it should. The shift never did go when I wanted to no-mater how I adjusted the governor or T/V cable. It would shift early before the governor kit and sometimes not at all until I let off the gas. It was very unpredictable.

I want to race this truck on the road course and exact shifting is what I need. I thought about just converting over to a 5 speed but all the truck transmissions gears sets suck as bad as the 700R4. They are all towing transmissions. The T-56 would be an excellent choice but they are expensive.

There is one major hangup of a manual transmission... the clutch. I have a bad knee and a heavy clutch would be painful especially when I'm in extreme traffic during Scraping The Coast and Cruising The Coast events in Mississippi. So for me the best trade-off is a manual automatic with the PATC close ratio gear set. With the right shifter it should be a lot of fun.

A lot of people have asked why I haven't considered the 6L80E. I tell them the gear ratios are awful and it is a VERY heavy. They are worse than the 700R4 and 4L60E. It just has more overdrive gears. My engine rpm sounds great with a 3.73 gear. With the cam I have it doesn't like cruising at 1200 rpm. This truck was lugging bad when it had the stock 2.73 gear set.

With all that said I have a lot to learn to build my own transmission. I need to know what affordable tools to buy and specifically what are the best parts to use.

Tapatalk updated and kicked me out of the app this morning in the midst of a long reply, pretty preturbed...

anyway...

My biggest draw was the fact of running Rochester EFI with such a modified engine... so many people just put a carb on when they build up an older SBC. I have my 700r4 out right now, replacing/upgrading the 2-4 band (toasted it with the 383) and the 3-4 clutches (started getting toasty, but were still holding up well enough for normal driving)...
2-4 band: #11CF, keeping the stock drum for now
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/700r4_Parts_List.htm#Bands

3-4 clutches
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=166&cat=52&page=1

These, along with some valvebody upgrades from TransGo (no full fledged shift kit yet), a .495" boost valve and Corvette servo should hopefully give me a good few more miles until I can afford a full fledged rebuild kit with all the bells & whistles (beast sun shell, possible input drum from PATC, dual cage sprag, etc.). I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money for that taller 1st gear set though... but we'll see :lol:

For the suspension/IRS... it would probably be a good idea to come up with some type of bracing since the bed isn't attached to the cab at all, so it's allowed to move independently. Take care of that and I bet it will handle a good deal better, even some type of bolt-in reinforcements to the bed will probably help.

Last edited:

Doober

Sep 28, 2003
Buying the tools will come to a few hundred bucks, but I've seen several say some things you don't really have to have the specific parts for... One that you probably will need is the seal shaper tools for the stator shaft, one slides the seals over the shaft, and the other helps compress them ibto their grooves ... pretty sensitive area, and even the smallest mark could mean no pressure.

via Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

I wish I could go to mechanic school just to learn transmissions. As meticulous as I am I'm sure I'd be good at it.

Doober

Sep 28, 2003

Honestly, it's not as bad as it seems. Granted there is the theory, and identifying intricate details of a specific trans, but for the most part, if you do your research & read, it's totally possible. For the most part it's a lot of snap rings and o-rings, and making sure clearances are correct... that's one of the biggest things, because too much one way or the other, and you're burning up the trans.

I believe the ATSG book is the one to really study. I have a download of an ATRA (not sure of the difference?) rebuild manual in PDF I could email, it outlines the bits & pieces and has actual cutaway photos.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

If you could help me in that aspect I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry I've been away for as while. It's been some crazy busy months. Long hours at work and too many big projects at home

Honestly, it's not as bad as it seems. Granted there is the theory, and identifying intricate details of a specific trans, but for the most part, if you do your research & read, it's totally possible. For the most part it's a lot of snap rings and o-rings, and making sure clearances are correct... that's one of the biggest things, because too much one way or the other, and you're burning up the trans.

I believe the ATSG book is the one to really study. I have a download of an ATRA (not sure of the difference?) rebuild manual in PDF I could email, it outlines the bits & pieces and has actual cutaway photos.

Doober

Sep 28, 2003
I used feeler gauges for the 3-4 clutches, there a couple other things I think you need a dial indicator for (for endplay-type checks), I don't know all the tools needed, but from what I've read there are certain areas that clearances need to be in a certain range or you risk either cooking the part, or the trans itself.

I finally got mine together and in my truck (changed the 2-4 band, 3-4 clutches, servo and some misc. valve body parts), it shifts quite well (quick & firm, not harsh at all), but it shifts early at wot, and lately it shifts extremely late/hard part throttle, but I believe that's due to me messing with the governor. If I get the shifts points where they're supposed to be, I will be very satisfied with my half-built trans... Beforehand 2nd gear wouldn't hold hardly at all, 3rd was semi-acceptable and 4th was iffy. Now every gear holds at any throttle position.

via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

I played with the governor a bit too. I got it shifting at 6000 and WOT. The problem I had was third gear started slipping after a few high speed runs. All I could get out of my truck was 131 mph at 55% throttle. Anymore that that it would downshift to third at 6200 RPM from 4500 RPM

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

Yeah, unless you have something installed related to the throttle valve it will kick down past a certain amount of throttle... I don't remember what it's called though.

via Tapatalk
I think it's the throttle valve spool. That's why I'm thinking of installing a ratchet shifter and manual valve body. I just hope the close ratio gear set PATC sells is a good one.

Oct 3, 2006
Patterson,LA

It's been a while since I last updated my post and a lot was done. For some damn reason I can't upload any pics, only videos from Youtube. It keeps saying invalid file.
My biggest change was what I call the Bodyline-of-fire LED taillight system. This was the plan from the beginning when I developed my corner lights.
In this video I installed the lenses, access opening, and mounts for the lights in the tailgate. It was one hell of a process.
The lights themselves are temporary and are made of strips purchased from Superbright leds They aren't very visible during the day.
The tailgate was a lengthy and labor intensive build in order to keep it a fully functioning tailgate with an integrated sequential led light system.