88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Re: 88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

I wish you were closer, I would try and buy the split bench from you. Would work nicely in the suburban...

Very nice truck
Thanks! I'm planning to set the seat aside and put it in my 88, as I'm going to convert it to grey interior.

-------------

Finished up my speaker upgrade last night. Not sure why it took this long to accomplish, but the GM issue speakers were shot. They never sounded good to begin with... So out they came and were swapped for a set of Infinity component speakers.

Front doors were easy... Now in the rear I went a different direction. The Crewcab trucks have the same door panels as a suburban, without speakers installed. They use the same rear pillar trim as a regular cab pickup, and have 4x6 speakers in the pillar. 4x6 speakers very rarely sound good, particularly compared to components. I started out investigating and low and behold, the rear doors are already wired for speakers, in the door itself. It ends at the center pillar plug. Still made my life WAY easier.

Did a little fitting and cut the holes for the rear door speakers

Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

I'm probably going to steal the subwoofer from the 88 and toss it in there, hopefully I will be able to get a headunit sometime in the near future.

I wish you were closer, I would try and buy the split bench from you. Would work nicely in the suburban...

Very nice truck
Thanks! I'm planning to set the seat aside and put it in my 88, as I'm going to convert it to grey interior.

-------------

Finished up my speaker upgrade last night. Not sure why it took this long to accomplish, but the GM issue speakers were shot. They never sounded good to begin with... So out they came and were swapped for a set of Infinity component speakers.

Front doors were easy... Now in the rear I went a different direction. The Crewcab trucks have the same door panels as a suburban, without speakers installed. They use the same rear pillar trim as a regular cab pickup, and have 4x6 speakers in the pillar. 4x6 speakers very rarely sound good, particularly compared to components. I started out investigating and low and behold, the rear doors are already wired for speakers, in the door itself. It ends at the center pillar plug. Still made my life WAY easier.

Did a little fitting and cut the holes for the rear door speakers

Best question is where am I putting a tweeter, and better yet how am I going to do it so it looks factory..... Remember those 4x6 rear speakers..... Since the space was no longer useful, and the stock speakers are crap anyway, I "took them apart" and used the frame as a mount for the tweeters, in the rear pillar.

I'm probably going to steal the subwoofer from the 88 and toss it in there, hopefully I will be able to get a headunit sometime in the near future.

May 8, 2014
"The triad", NC

You don't have tweeter pods in the front doors under mesh? That's where I put my new tweeters. Just had to modify the housing with a dremel.

Tweeters front and rear would be a nice upgrade. Some times I wish I had a CC... round speakers are so much better. But the 4x6s I had in my Porsche were great, even with blown rears. I had the fader all the way forward and it sounded great. Wish I could remember the brand. I may have the part number somewhere.

Also, any idea why your double posting? I think on both forums you have been?

Last edited:

Been super busy at work lately and at home, trying to get some of the project stuff off my plate lately.

Last weekend I finally got around to a good wash for the truck, and pulled the trailer out to help a friend move.

While I had the trailer and campers out of the way the other weekend, I pulled this ol' girl out. It got a quick bath this weekend and I ran around in it some.

Sunday I performed my 0411 swap on the truck, wire by wire. I used a combination of Lextech's wiring chart and one I made myself, which was very useful in the end having both. I don't know how many differences there are in wiring between 1/2 VS 3/4 VS 1 Ton trucks, or between Small Block VS Big Block trucks, or Auto VS Manuals, but there were a few things I had to figure out and hopefully can pass on to others for future use. I wanted to get everything tidied up first, but I will get the wiring cleaned up later.

With the new 0411 came a Blackbear tune. Got that sorted out and JFC it was a night and day difference. The truck feels like it picked up 50HP. Acceleration is harder and smoother, truck revs quicker and the best part, on my initial test run, while doing a ton of screwing around and fast highway driving, got better mileage. This past weekend I ended up at 10.8 MPG which includes going over 2 mountain passes... I am willing to bet I would up that 2 MPG if I wasn't playing around while driving. Can't wait to test it out with the camper. Of course I snapped a couple picts of the truck from the outing.

Stay tuned, there are more mods in the works as well.

Been super busy at work lately and at home, trying to get some of the project stuff off my plate lately.

Last weekend I finally got around to a good wash for the truck, and pulled the trailer out to help a friend move.

While I had the trailer and campers out of the way the other weekend, I pulled this ol' girl out. It got a quick bath this weekend and I ran around in it some.

Sunday I performed my 0411 swap on the truck, wire by wire. I used a combination of Lextech's wiring chart and one I made myself, which was very useful in the end having both. I don't know how many differences there are in wiring between 1/2 VS 3/4 VS 1 Ton trucks, or between Small Block VS Big Block trucks, or Auto VS Manuals, but there were a few things I had to figure out and hopefully can pass on to others for future use. I wanted to get everything tidied up first, but I will get the wiring cleaned up later.

With the new 0411 came a Blackbear tune. Got that sorted out and JFC it was a night and day difference. The truck feels like it picked up 50HP. Acceleration is harder and smoother, truck revs quicker and the best part, on my initial test run, while doing a ton of screwing around and fast highway driving, got better mileage. This past weekend I ended up at 10.8 MPG which includes going over 2 mountain passes... I am willing to bet I would up that 2 MPG if I wasn't playing around while driving. Can't wait to test it out with the camper. Of course I snapped a couple picts of the truck from the outing.

Stay tuned, there are more mods in the works as well.

Frozen350

Nov 6, 2014
arkansas

I cant wait to see what's next! One of the best builds if not the best build that i have ever followed. Keep up the sweet work on a truly beautiful truck!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------

Been getting the tunes worked out with BlackBear, this has been a common sight lately.....

My gauges finally showed up though, here is what they look like out of the box. Speedhut did an awesome job, the quality is excellent, well worth the wait.

Since they were in I had to connect everything, which I pre-wired awhile back in anticipation of this.

The boost gauge uses a electronic sender, which conveniently there was a 3/8" NPT plug in the manifold already (is something for the A.I.R. equipped trucks) so I installed a bushing and adapted it to fit the sender.

Here they are installed in a autometer dual pillar pod, painted to match with SEM.

Oh, and of course, a shot at boost........

If you are still interested in it when I pull it out sure! The driver's side is worn pretty good though.
Haha. I don't know if I will still have it. I purchased an 07 Silverado Classic CCSB Dmax last weekend with 83k on the clock. My father has been pursuing me about the OBS since it only has 38K on the engine.

May 2, 2016
Oregon
First of all I love this truck and I love this build. I was wondering with how much you paid for the truck and how much you have invested, would you do it again . Ok say your into this truck 15k would you take the 15k and buy something newer or is the older truck with 15k invested better to you? I only ask because I'm in the market for a truck. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all I love this truck and I love this build. I was wondering with how much you paid for the truck and how much you have invested, would you do it again . Ok say your into this truck 15k would you take the 15k and buy something newer or is the older truck with 15k invested better to you? I only ask because I'm in the market for a truck. Thanks
That is really tough to answer, and every person is different. I think most people would have thrown in the towel or left the truck stock long before I would have, but for me I'm ok with how it is at this point. There were multiple times I was frustrated with it and wanted to just go buy something new.

For the money I have a truck that I like better than just about anything I could go out and buy. Fact is I would probably still end up spending quite a bit to get a newer different truck where I wanted it anyway..........

------------------

The combination of the tune and the 0411 has really helped the truck out. With the camper I was getting 6.5-7.5 MPG..... This past weekend I ended up getting 9.3 MPG. I about fell over. Mind you this is up a summit and two passes, then back. All at 60-70 MPH.

Did I mention that I can do all 3 of those in overdrive now?!

I was grinning from ear to ear this weekend because of it.