88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Re: 88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Rear door lock rods didn't show up yesterday as planned - instead UPS delivered to USPS for final delivery....

Did a few things last night. Gave it a good seafoaming, definitely smoothed the idle out. Also went to work wiring up a trailer connector. I used a Pollak 7 and 4 way combination and wired in a GMT800 style harness plug. This way if the plug ever breaks, I can simply install a new one.

Also hooked the airbags back up. Truck came with a set of firestones but I think there was a compressor or something in there at some point, the lines were dis-connected. Ignore the u-joint splatter :lol:

While I was under there I found the hack splice job where there at one point was slide in camper wiring in the bed. The plug and wiring is history. Instead of cleaning it up now I'll order a plug to put in the hole in the side of the bed and i'll be ready for a camper.

Also removed the add on circuit breaker and battery disconnect. The truck has a factory 2nd battery isolator, so even if the other battery is dead you can start the truck... Why they added a second is beyond me.

And just a random shot. Also a shot next to my friends BRZ. His car's overall length is the wheelbase of my truck.

Thanks everyone!

Looks great :aniteef::aniteef::aniteef::aniteef::aniteef::aniteef::aniteef::aniteef: How hard is it to replace the door handles with the Kodiak handles?
They are no different than swapping out an existing handle. The fronts are a PITA because of the lock rod, I've found it's almost easier to remove the window and door card than deal with fumbling around otherwise. Putting the Kodiak handles in however is easier because they are less compact and sit out of the door. Rears were stupidly easy though.

Subbed. You always do awesome things with your trucks.
I try :lol:

-----------------------------

A little update.

The other day after it rained the passenger carpet was a bit wet. Yesterday morning, I found this....

Damn. I hate chasing water leaks. It's like the trailer all over again. Play the "where did you actually come from" game. Poked around and determined the HVAC box was suspect. Pulled the blower...

Yup. Water. After looking around with a light and my phone (to see around corners :lol:) i determined that it must be coming from the cowl intake area. So, playing with a bucket of water now...

After my creative investigating, the cowl came off. Turns out one of the screws directly above the HVAC intake was tightened too tight and caused it to be ALMOST stripped, compounded on the fact that the two screws on that side of the cowl were missing any sort of gasket. Seems like a stupid oversight on GMs part to put two screws directly above the intake for the HVAC that need sealed. Gave them both some RTV and called it a day.

After that little fiasco.... I went about installing the Rear Kodiaks. :) Now she's looking like a real truck.

Also had a set of bosch injectors rebuilt for the 454 show up. No more hard warm starts in my near future.

Another thing I've been tracking down is a bit of driveline vibration. It was there when I bought the truck, initially I thought it was the carrier bearing. While the trans was out I did all 3 rear u-joints and the carrier. The driveline pieces are keyed so you can't put them out of phase. I did pull the slip yolk u-joint and flip the rear shaft 180 deg from the front shaft, it seemed to help but the vibration is still there. I also noticed I have 1 wheel that isn't very true at all. Since these are Toyo tires I'm thinking I'll have les-schwab re-balance them all, maybe swap the seemingly bent wheel for the spare. Also considering getting the driveshafts re-balanced. Who knows maybe one lost a weight?

A GMC grill would look nice and then you need to clean up those headlights and running lights. I cleared my headlights on the tahoe and it only took about 20-30 minutes and for the running lights I paid like $24 on amazon for both brand new from TYC. Here's a before and after:

Or go with something aftermarket of course :cool:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2011
Wilmington, NC

He said he's going with smoked lights but I still think the black housings would look better while also putting out a bit more light.

I really need to get a better picture of them.
I also replaced my cab light lenses. The junkyard gaskets and lenses I put on to start with were cracked and faded all to hell.

Looking good as always. Are you going with the 88 style grill or the 94+?
I will be keeping the 94+ style grille on this truck.

A GMC grill would look nice and then you need to clean up those headlights and running lights. I cleared my headlights on the tahoe and it only took about 20-30 minutes and for the running lights I paid like $24 on amazon for both brand new from TYC. Here's a before and after:

Or go with something aftermarket of course :cool:
He said he's going with smoked lights but I still think the black housings would look better while also putting out a bit more light.
I really need to get a better picture of them.
I also replaced my cab light lenses. The junkyard gaskets and lenses I put on to start with were cracked and faded all to hell.
Yeah i'm going to do something. I might polish up the headlights for the time being so I don't have to rush to get new lights. I'll get what I can pre-smoked since I think i'm going that route, although I have a few other ideas up my sleeve. Only time will tell.

I really like my Anzo USA smoked headlights and parking likes, have been great for a few years now, just run some silicone around the outside

I really like my Anzo USA smoked headlights and parking likes, have been great for a few years now, just run some silicone around the outside
I'll have to see what options they have, i like the look of yours.

I did drive it to work in downtown Seattle yesterday. She's a big beast.