88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

One has a large crack in the wheelwell, and both are de-laminating in places. Seemed easier to just replace with a clean set than try to repair.

Sent from TBI 454 HTC Droid DNA
Oh okay. Yea I did the same with my hood. Was peeling. Figured $75 for a hood from a wrecked 96 was cheaper than to repaint mine

And BTW your truck would look good black if you decided to paint it that color

Last edited:
Re: 88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Ok, I finally got off my lazy bum and cleaned, painted and installed the XJ shaft. While I had the original shaft out I also re-set (tightened) the steering box pre-load, and adjusted the over center.

Truck has much better steering once again. Much more responsive. It still feels like it's on balloons (35s) but there is no way around that.....

Installed a new Delco fuel cap with tether. I had my original cap from 88 still. About a month ago I was helping a friend move, ended up loosing the cap at the gas station (was more concerned with the snow on the pass and a clean windshield). So, I replaced it with another OEM cap from the boneyard, ended up loosing it on my last camping trip...... So ended up getting this year correct cap with tether.

Oct 13, 2002
Notre Dame, IN

Does your gas door not have a hook built into it? I always hang my cap right there inside the door, I don't even think you could close the door while it's there?

Apr 22, 2013
Albertville al

I dont mean to interfere with this build thread but i couldn't help but notice you converted your over to a straight shift i was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on the conversion I'm doing the same i have all the parts just haven't pulled them off the parts truck just yet waiting for some advice and pointers lol

Does your gas door not have a hook built into it? I always hang my cap right there inside the door, I don't even think you could close the door while it's there?
It does not. This is an early truck.

I dont mean to interfere with this build thread but i couldn't help but notice you converted your over to a straight shift i was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on the conversion I'm doing the same i have all the parts just haven't pulled them off the parts truck just yet waiting for some advice and pointers lol
I have a swap thread posted around here somewhere....

Sent from my TBI 454 powered android device.