96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire
Re: 96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

yea the brake shoes are brand new according to the PO, but i will look at them to make sure. i would love to go disks though at some point, add it to the list lol. i used percys multilayer gaskets from summit, and so far so good although they have only been on there fro a month or two.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

havent been able to work on my truck much since most of my free time has been going towards getting my camaro on the road, but i have a small update, i finished the de-molding on the truck, i got new front and rear bumpers from LMC Truck and put them on this weekend. the front is a smoothie bumper with combination fog/driving lights, and the rear is a de-molded step bumper.
here are some pics:

old bumper off, took 5 hours because everything was so rusty:

old rusty POS:

new:

cleaned up and painted the draw bar:

all finished:

font bumper off:

new one installed, didnt get a good pic because it was dark by the time i finished:

better pic i took today:

i also took the bull bar with lights off because i didnt really like it anymore, so i will sell it along with the front bumper which is pretty clean.
i have been slowly rebuilding the front end with new Moog tie rods, ball joints and upper a-arm bushings and i also need a new steering box since there is a ton of slop in mine
i have a new spintech 6000 muffler with x pipe to go on this week, then i can start gathering the parts for the 14 bolt swap.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

i will, i am planning on just dumping it before the rear axle. i have a spintech 5000 on it now, but it is really rusty, so time for a replacement. i think i posted a clip somewhere in this thread of the spintech that is on there now before the LTs and high flow cats.

-edit-here is a clip of the spintech before the LTs and high flow cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FRNfslc1g

Last edited:

the welds attaching the tailpipes to the back of the muffler were rusted and broke off on the same day. the body of the muffler is still good and it has been on for 2 years and through 2 new england winters
Alright cool. I am redoing my exhaust when I put the motor I am rebuilding in. And I am really liking the way these sound. They probably are what I'll end up getting.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

thanks! i am very happy with them, the rear bumper fit like factory and the front bumper was close, i had to do a little prying to get one of the bolts to go in, but it wasnt much. i really like the front because i have never seen another truck with that bumper. although i wish the lights didnt stick out so much so i am going to make a bracket to make them flush with the bumper. also i didnt get the wiring directions with it so i am waiting for LMC to email me those.

I've never seen that front bumper either. Truck looks good de-molded. I weekend before last and put a smooth painted bumper on the front. I sold my chrome one same day for $25 to my buddies cousin who has an OBS with a dented in front bumper. He was happy and I got it out of the garage. I was gonna give it away to a friend who scraps metal but I made $25 off it. I have a roll pan out back but I had to drill new holes in the frame to mount my hitch. I did the roll in bed liner on my whole truck up over the rails to the body line.

I wouldn't mount 12.5" tires on a 12" wheel if you are still considering it. Use the 15x9's or get some 15x10's.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

nice and thanks! i am thinking about getting rid of all the chrome on the truck, just not a fan of chrome anymore lol. i want to plasti dip the bumpers red or black as well as the grill and get smoked headlights and markers and tint.

why would you say that 12.5 in wide tires shouldnt be mounted on 12in wide wheels? i was looking at a set of 15x10s that my friends has. he wants to trade for the 15x9 i have, so i probably will do that

usually you run a tire thats wider than the wheel by more than .5 inch since the sidewalls will flex in. I'd run a 12.5 inch tire on a 15x10 but wider than that I'd get wider tires.

Usually people run 38x15.50's on 15x12.

Last edited: