96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

Re: 96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

It may fit but it would be easy to pop the bead where the tire seals to the wheel, and then you are screwed. They may fit but I would think it'd be hard to get the bead to pop on the tire machine, might have to use a ratchet strap to squeeze the tire and make the side walls bulge while trying to inflate them to get the bead to pop. I used to work in a tire shop and we hated mounting stuff like that.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

alright time for an update, i put the spintech and x-pipe on and i love it, sounds really good. i also replaced the steering box and pitman arm and changed up the look of the truck a bit. i plasti dipped the bumpers red and replaced the chrome grill with a black one. i am currently trying to trade my clear markers, corners and headlights for a smoked look. i also got my fogs hooked up although i keep blowing fuses which is kind of annoying, so i gotta figure that out.

here are some pics i took today

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

i thought the same thing, but after i get the rust fixed on the rockers i was thinking about plasti dipping the silver black for the winter to protect it. i will also be putting black wheels on it for winter wheels and smoked headlights, markers and corners, so i think that will pull it together.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

so this past week i finished the front end rebuild on my truck with new upper balljoints, upper control arm bushings and new cam bolts along with a set of rancho rs500 shocks, i will put the rear shocks on when i swap the 14 bolt in hopefully before the snow flies. i also cleaned and painted the upper control arms while i had them off.

i also picked up a set of AR 15x10 steel wheels for cheap off CL. i will be getting them powder coated this week hopefully and am looking for a used set of 33x12.5 tires to put on them for the winter

test fit

i will have to see how the local cops like the way they stick out past the fenders (my friend get harassed a lot having the same wheels on his nissan hardbody). if i start getting harassed i will throw on a set of factory fender flares and call it good, should be interesting lol

also does anyone have any recommendations on some mudflaps? i am looking for basically the same thing as i have now, with the chevy logo, but not having any luck finding a set like this.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

not sure yet, i am going to keep an eye out for a used set on CL, but if i dont find anything used in the next couple weeks then i am looking at cooper discover STT's, cooper discover S/T's, or BF goodrich T/A KO's. ive had cooper A/Ts (discontinued) for over two years and still have two on the front (rears replaced with ATRs over the summer) so they have held up well although they would last the winter. anyone have any opinions on those?

Jul 5, 2013
Rossville, Georgia

I'm not trying to tell you how to do your thing or anything like that, but i always heard jacking a vehicle up with the jack on the axle itself can crack the axle or something like that. Don't know if its true or not and not saying it is, some crazy old mechanic we know told me that once and i've always believed it.. lol. Nice build going on !

Jun 10, 2008
St. Charles, MI

I'm not trying to tell you how to do your thing or anything like that, but i always heard jacking a vehicle up with the jack on the axle itself can crack the axle or something like that. Don't know if its true or not and not saying it is, some crazy old mechanic we know told me that once and i've always believed it.. lol. Nice build going on !
Looks like he has the jack positioned on the rear diff. I've never had any issues doing this at all.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

Get yourself a set of MTZs they are awesome.
thanks for the input, but i dont think i need a tire with that aggressive of a tread pattern, the truck doesnt see too much off roading. i am leaning toward the KO's right now

haha yea i put the jack on the diff, not the axle. even so i dont really care about the 10 bolt since i have a 14 bolt waiting to go in, hopefully in the next couple weeks before the snow flies lol

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

hmmm interesting, i will look into them then!

got my smoked headlights, markers and corners today and installed them. i am going to get LED marker lights since the stock bulbs are not as bright behind the smoked lens. i might throw some VHT on the fogs to match, but i need brighter bulbs for those as well to get through the tint. the smoked headlights also tone down my HIDs some which is good because i was getting flashed a lot from other drivers getting blinded lol

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

got my wheels back from powder coating today, they came out really good, i will try to snap a pic tomorrow. still trying to decide on tires so that is what is going to hold me up getting them installed. also the smoked headlights are way too dark and my HIDs are way to dim now, so i am going to get headlights with with clear lenses and black housings.

also couldnt get the truck started this morning, not sure what is going on but it has been hard to start the past few days, but now it will not start at all. it just cranks and cranks and wont start. i think it maybe either the fuel pump or filter (at least i hope) or the spider assy is gummed up but i really hope it isnt he spider assy cause that would suck lol