96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire
Re: 96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

so an update on the truck, towed it up to the shop last week and it was determined that it had good fuel pressure, so the fuel pump and filter are good, but there wasnt any fuel getting into the engine, so that means that the crappy spider injection assembly is bad. so i had the csfi to mpfi conversion injection assembly ordered. i would normally instal it myself, but i am going to have the shop do it for me since i dont want to tow it back home to do it.

still undecided on tires, although i the like general grabber tire, they have a good tread pattern plus they have red letters on them and my truck is red lol

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

got my truck back yesterday and it runs awesome! also bit the bullet and bought a set of BF Goodrich T/As. got them mounted and balanced and installed today. took it for a test drive and it was scraping when i turned the front wheels because of the offset of the wheels, so i took off the small trim piece under the front of the fenders so now it just rubs on the mudflaps at full lock. here are some pics

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2008
St. Charles, MI

Looks good!! Now you just need to crank the torsion bars a bit and add a 2" block in the rear. You will not be disappointed with the BFG's. I bought a set for my Sierra back in 2008 and I have them on my Silverado now. They have close to 60,000 miles on them and the tread depth is still pretty good. Best money I've ever spent on tires.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

thanks man! love the tires so far, put them to the test the first night they were on the truck and they did awesome. t-bars are already cranked a couple inches, not planning on lifting the truck for a while but eventually i want to put the 4" RCX kit on it, but that is quite a ways out

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

small update, changed the rear diff fluid today in the stock 10 bolt and put a new rear diff cover on it (old one was leaking badly and didnt want to wait until i was ready to swap the 14 bolt in). the new diff cover was from summit racing and has drain and fill holes.

before

after

i got my bearing and seal kit, stainless rear brake lines, new upper rear shock mounts and a new rear diff cover (similar to the one above) for the 14 bolt and got some paint so i can start to get that ready to swap in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

welp, looks like i am putting fender flares on the truck. got pulled over by my town cop on my way home tonight for a headlight out and he also said i needed to get fender flares. probably just going to go with the stock style flares. any suggestions?? he said i have a month to get them or i will get a ticket, so no getting around this one lol

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

so i did the jeep cherokee xj steering shaft swap today. i got a used steering shaft out of a 94 xj off ebay for $65 to my door. i originally purchased one out of a 97 xj, only to find out that it doesnt fit because after 95, the cherokees changed the upper input shaft type. the writeups i read about the swap said that steering shafts would fit from 84-00 xj's, but it is really 84-95. here are some pics

new vs. old....

the notch in the input shaft

input shaft

installed

the whole swap took me a couple hours, including cleaning and painting the new xj shaft. have only driven it up and down my road so far and it does feel tighter, so i am happy with it so far. i ordered a detroit trutrac and new 3.73 gears for my 14 bolt sf as well as a new moog idler arm today, once the idler arm comes in and i can install it, the steering system on the truck will all be brand new. once the trutrac and gears come in, i will have everything to get it ready to put in. if anyone has any questions about the steering shaft install, let me know

also put my summer rims/tires back on with brand new cooper a/t3 285/75r16's.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

got my trutrac and new 3.73 gears for the 14 bolt in the other day, so now i have everything to rebuild the axle and get it installed. also got a new idler arm that i am in process of installing. there is still slop in my steering, even after putting the xj shaft in, so i am down to the last part in my steering that was original. if it doenst fix it (doubt it will) i am going to take a look at adjusting the steering box (which is also brand new) to see if that is the problem. also trying to decide what i am going to do about the motor. i am torn between rebuilding the vortec that is in the truck and doing a mild 355 shooting for around 400hp at the crank, or build the lt1 i have that i took out of my camaro and doing a built 355 shooting for 450hp at the crank. hmmmm decisions lol

here is a pic my buddy snapped the other day when we were out cruising

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

alright havent updated this in a loooong time so figured it was about time. havent done a whole lot with the truck until on new years day i blew up the 10 bolt. it is currently at the shop awaiting an axle from the junkyard. i never ended up getting the 14 bolt put together so that kinda bit me in the ass lol. turns out the only axle they can get is the same 14 SF that i have out of the junkyard so i decided to have them throw that in and when it needs to be rebuilt i will have everything ready to go. i finally got my camaro running so my plan is in the spring i will be pulling the motor/trans to have them rebuilt and if i can find a parts truck swap over to an nv4500 5 speed. anyways, here is a current picture of the truck to hold you guys over

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

so i got the truck back last week, 14 bolt is in and turns out it has an open diff in it :puke: which i am pretty disappointed about. luckily i have a Detroit trutrc with new 373 gears sitting in my barn that i will swap in when the weather gets warmer. the axle housing is much cleaner than the one i was going to put together, so i will probably sell the housing and keep all the good parts as a backup in case i break anything in the new axle.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

alright time for a big update! the build is kinda taking a different turn, i was planning on rebuilding the 350 that is in the truck, but got a good deal on a complete lq4 6.0 out of a wrecked 2001 k2500 pickup. unfortunately i missed out on the 4l80e and transfer case so i am on the lookout for those. i will be doing a heads/cam setup, longtubes (if i can find some) and a tune among other small things. will be picking the motor up saturday and going to stop at a junkyard nearby to see if they have anything that i can use for the swap. stay tuned!