96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire
Re: 96 chevy 1500 4x4 build

thanks bud! i havent decided if i want to leave the flares black or color match them. i havent seen any red trucks with color matched flares to make a decision. i will be getting the truck repainted this summer, going to go with solid red (no silver two tone) so not sure if that would be too much red or not

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

got the motor home saturday and began tearing it down. didnt get too far, but starting to get an idea about what direction i want to go with it. i am planning on doing a heads/cam setup, going to look for a set of 243's to bump the compression, ls3 timing chain and oil pump, trunion upgrade, springs, longtubes and a tune. i will probably go with the dirty dingo motor plates since it will allow me to position the motor where i want (hopefully can reuse the stock DS) and they will bolt up to the factory chassis mounts. still on the hunt for a 4l80e and manual t-case

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

okay, so it has been a while since I have updated this thread and lots has happened with the truck in the past few months. gonna try to bring this up to date. warning: lots of pics

so a couple days after bringing home the 6.0, I picked up a 4l80e out of a 01 2500, plan is a rebuild and trans-go shift kit, came with a stock converter as well that I will be using.

thenIi found a set of 243 heads on a forum, just going to clean them up and install PAC 1219 beehive springs which I already have

the swap parts coming together

started tearing down the motor, taking it down to the short block and bring it to a local machine shop to get checked out. I still have to pull the crank pulley off, take the timing cover off and pull the the cam

the truck failed inspection because of rust on the frame under the bed. so I decided to pull the bed and fix up the frame. I dropped the bed off at my buddies shop to fix some rust and repaint. I drove it home and began removing everything on the frame behind the cab.

once everything was removed, I had to build a new rear cross member because the factory one was pretty much Swiss cheesed. also picked up used rear gas tank crossmeber and painted everything with POR15. also got all new brackets for the shocks and leaf springs as well as new rancho shocks to match the front

reinstalled the axle with adjustable shackles so I can adjust the ride height along with new stainless hard lines and flex lines for the rear brakes. I have a complete set of stainless hardlines for the front, but will install those when I do the motor swap.

gas tank and draw bar reinstalled.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

then drove it up to my buddies shop when the bed was done and picked it up and put it on for good. I then picked up an OEM chrome grill and fender flares of CL and sprayed them with bedliner. I also pulled the plasti dip off the bumpers and sprayed them as well with the bedliner. bought some tow mirrors and a set of tinted tailights off ebay.

thats where I am now, getting and alignment and inspection on wednesday and then it will be back on the road. now I can focus on finish up tearing down the motor and get it and the 80e to the shop to be gone through. planning on doing the motor swap this summer when i can drive the camaro and the truck can be down for however long I need to do the swap.

Mar 31, 2012
new hampshire

LOL thanks man! it was a ton of work (more than I was expecting) but it was well worth it. my plan is to clean up the rest of the frame when I do the motor swap. I want to pull the front fenders, inner fenders, radiator support etc. to make the swap easier and to clean and paint everything. then all that needs to be done is the cab which will probably have to wait until next year, but we'll see. I am just really excited to be driving it again after being down for 5 months

Mar 29, 2016
Oklahoma

Cool build and awesome project so far. It's looking great. I'm so glad here in OK we don't have inspections. First I've heard of rust on a frame failing an inspection. What a nightmare. I hope that stuff never hits OK. anyways, looking forward to the next update!