97 RCSB build

I need motivation to get this thing done... I've picked up the pace on it so I can hopefully burn rubber before the snow flies. It's a 97 2wd regular cab shot box pickup. It came with a 350, 4L60E, 10 bolt. My intentions are to make it a summertime DD and beat on it all the time. It will be a shop truck so run errands, etc. I designed a new rear suspension and I'm still going back and forth on the front suspension design. It will have about a 6/4ish drop, coilovers, 4 wheel disks, 4L80E, 540 BBC, twin turbos, and a few other things.

Current state is a stripped truck with the rear suspension almost done. 540 is done, 4L80E done, but I still need to figure out what to do with the front suspension. I don't like any of the bolt-on options on the market. I want R&P steering and better geometry. This is not a drag race vehicle, I want it to handle as well as it can for its size/weight. I will do a couple Optima street car events with it for fun. No chance of winning I'm sure, but I've done them before and they are tons of fun.

Pictures coming up.... (sorry the are huge right now - be patient)

Last edited:
Re: 97 RCSB build

A shot of the rear suspension design. It's a 3-link w/panhard. And yes, that upper link is mounted on the diff cover.

Instead of heims or Johnny Joints on the link bars I decided to use cross-axis joints. They are beefy and should last a lot longer. This one is the larger unit for the upper link. The through-bolt is a 3/4". The lower links use a smaller version of the same joint with a 9/16" bolt.

Sorry for the huge pix but I haven't had time to resize them all yet.

I "machined" an oak version of the diff cover Sunday to check out the toolpath and fitment before I order that giant lump of expensive aluminum. It made a mess but it turned out great.

Last edited:

The axle is a from a 2001 van, 6-lug 14 bolt semi floater. I put new 3.42 gears in it, Detroit Trutrac, and did all the bearings and seals. The brake rotors are 14" units from SSBC and the calipers are stock Brembo rear CTS-V units on a bracket I machined. I didn't put an e-brake on the axle, but I probably will someday. I can't remember the last time I used one on a vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Last edited:

Mocking up the rear axle in there. Everything lines up, but I need to stick the engine and trans in to measure for pinion angles. The documentation I have states that the engine/trans angle is 5.5 degrees down on these trucks, so 3 degrees up on the rear should be fine, but I don't know exactly how high the output of the transmission is going to be.

Last edited: