Color Change Tutorial...

Re: Color Change Tutorial...

A lot of the time the quality of the image will lower when you mess with the Hue slider.

What I find works best is

-Select everything you want to color
-Copy and paste it into a new layer
-desaturate it
-possibly play with the brightness/contrast to help keep the detail
-image > adjustments > variations
-then play with the fine/course slider and colors below

Last edited:

MC

Jan 30, 2008
Georgia

When I select everything I want with the pen tool, it just has straight lines, not the dotted ones like you have. When I copy it to a new layer, it's no different than if I hadn't selected anything. Is there a setting I need to change for the pen tool?

Mdcauthen said:
When I select everything I want with the pen tool, it just has straight lines, not the dotted ones like you have. When I copy it to a new layer, it's no different than if I hadn't selected anything. Is there a setting I need to change for the pen tool?
1. Make sure that the Pen Tool is set to "Paths".
2. After you have completed your outline with the pen tool right click and you will see several options, one will be "Make Selection". That's how you turn it into dotted lines :biggrin:
I have a little bit of illustrated information on the Pen tool in this tutorial:
Cowel Hood Tutorial

Another thing that is real nice to know for those unfamiliar with the Pen Tool is that if you hold down the [CTRL] key and click the path (before you have converted it to a selection) you can adjust or fine tune your path by clicking on the nodes and moving them.

The Pen Tool is such a powerful tool I could write tips and tricks on how to use it all day and still not cover everything. If you really want to master the pen tool do a search for "Pen Tool Tutorial" and you will find tons of good information.

lowdown

38crew

Feb 3, 2008
Central New York

hey lowdown, ever use the color change tool. it seems that you can change the color and keep all textures including lighting. however I cant seem to get the color that i have chosen. just turns everything grey?

Well I guess you cant do a selection inside of a selection..I did it before like i would select the body of the truck, and then the window and such, so i would only change the color of the truck..now it wont let me do that...hmm weird..when i go to make it to a selection it will only make the outside one a selection..

Last edited:

cb_silverado said:
Well I guess you cant do a selection inside of a selection..I did it before like i would select the body of the truck, and then the window and such, so i would only change the color of the truck..now it wont let me do that...hmm weird..when i go to make it to a selection it will only make the outside one a selection..
You mean like de-select something?

After you make a selection and have the marching ants, hold ALT and make a selection of you want to not be affected.

yeah like he did in the pic how the whole truck is selected, but then within that selection he did the grill or the windows, when I try that It doesn't give me the marching ants, just what i drew with the pen disappears, and just the outer selection gets the ants

Last edited:

cb_silverado said:
yeah like he did in the pic how the whole truck is selected, but then within that selection he did the grill or the windows, when I try that It doesn't give me the marching ants, just what i drew with the pen disappears, and just the outer selection gets the ants
If I am understanding you correctly...

Using the pen tool after you have made a selection the path you had originally drawn with the pen tool is gone.
Simply use the pen tool to surround the area you don't want selected (windows, grill, whatever) after you have connected the path with the pen tool when you right click and select "Make Selection..." you should get a dialog box that gives you several selection options, by default it is "Subtract From Selection".

Hope that helps.