Corvette IRS swap

Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR
I've been looking everywhere, done all kinds of searches, but can't find anything on this swap in An OBS SCSB. I know they did a bunch back in the 90s, but I can't find any build threads. Any help guys?

Chriscon7

Jun 7, 2011
Colorado
I feel like a camaro would be better. The corvette uses a trans axle so I'm not sure how it would work with a normal trans...Hell Idk it might work great. Just a thought

Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR
Re: Corvette IRS swap

Yeah, I was aware of the Bell Tech kit, but they never produced them. As for the C5/C6 transaxle, I'd really love to. It'd be a cheap way to get a T-56. I'd probably be more inclined to go that way if I could find the people that make the torque tube elimination kit. They replace the TT with u-joints and a driveshaft. Saw a picture of one once, but no info on it. Sure would help the fore/aft balance though....

I think I will most likely go with a C4, and make my own mounts. Set up right, you could lay frame without raising the bed floor.

Last edited:

I think I will most likely go with a C4, and make my own mounts. Set up right, you could lay frame without raising the bed floor.
Just thinking out loud here. C4's have a transverse leaf spring setup, meaning it runs side to side, not front to back as your truck is set up. I can't remember anyone talking about bagging a C4 to lay frame. I don't know if there is enough room inside that suspension package to fit bags period. I would love to see you do it however! C4 rear suspension and T56 from a Camaro/Tans Am/GTO would be a sweet set-up!

Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

If you look at how the transverse leaf spring attaches to the upper part of the suspension, it might help you visualize how I intend to make it work. Instead of using the spring, I'm going to try and do a cantilever straight back with the bag in the middle on each side.

tpichevy

Mar 18, 2005
meridian, idaho

Did you ever figure anything out? I started a thread about this a few years ago also. At one point I ran across a obs reg cab truck on ebay through a horrid dealership that had the truck for sale with a nice chromed rear end setup from a c4 had a 5-7ish drop on it with 18". I kick myself in the butt for not saving the pics he had posted. Had a few pics of the truck on a lift where you could see the whole setup! Sucks I have always wanted to so this setup.

Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

Yeah, this is still in the works. With a little addition. In looking for a good rear end, I got a good look at the the front suspension on the C4. Its basically a stand alone crossmember that attaches all the A-arms and rack and everything. So, I took some measurements, and it looks like a real good fit for our frames once the original crossmember is removed. Obviously its not a drop in, but its close enough to make it worth a try.

And, I found this:

http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredvehicles/chevy/1992_chevrolet_c1500_sport_truck/photo_08.html

The back is really easy-almost a bolt in. I want to run much longer trailing arm so the wheel doesnt have as much back and forth movement.