From bags to Coilovers

Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hopefully in the next few days I will be converting the front of my truck from bags to coilovers. I just got the coilovers in from A-Tech. They are Qa1 non-adjustable with street performance valving and 550 lbs springs. I was going to go with 500lbs springs, but I would rather have it a little firmer ride than being undersprung.

Being that I have the ART tubular upper and lower control arms it is going to take a little bit of work for the lower mount. I haven't decided yet on if I am going to space the bottom mount up to clear the lower arm, or if I am going to cut the oval hole in the lower to clear the bottom of the shock.

Here are the coilovers I got.

Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: From bags to Coilovers

My truck is a 97 ECSB with a 5.7L/auto. The coilovers I used are QA1 part #GE401-10550C. I installed these Friday at work so I didn't have time to take any pictures while installing, but I will get some soon for some installed pictures. Installation was a breeze, even with having to modify the lower control arms. Being that my control arms didn't have the factory style lower shock mounts I had to lay out, drill, and use a carbide bit to make a hole for the shock to fit through. I was able to do the whole disassemble of the air ride and install of the coilovers in around 3 hours. If you have factory lower control arms this could possibly be one of the easiest ways to slam your truck.

After the initial install I adjusted the coilovers so I had about an inch of clearance between the fender lip and the top of the tire. After my 10 mile drive home the fender lip was even with the top of the tire, and after sitting over night the tire is slightly tucked. The ride on the coilovers is exceptional to say the least, even without an upper spring insulator. I always loved the way that the air bags rode, but I like the coilovers better. The handling seems a lot more crisp, with less body roll. I already have the large hotchkis sway bars front and rear.

Tomorrow I am going to make some adjustments to raise the truck up about half to a full inch. I love the slammed ride, but the front valance is very low and at full lock I am getting some tire rub on the inner fenders. Stay tuned for some pics as it sits now, and after adjustments. I am getting the funds together to coilover the rear also. I am keeping the bags in the rear, and just replacing my standard shocks with coilovers. The bags will only be used when hauling.

Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Well here are some installed pics. Didn't ever realize how bad the rust looks in a picture. haha. Maybe one of these days I can attend to some of it.
I made a half an inch adjustment at the coilover, and it made around an inch of difference at the wheel, and I didn't notice any more settling after my drive home. I also didn't notice any difference in the ride after the adjustment, but my tire rub is gone now which is good.

Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Im not sure what all it would fit on. I have an obs, but with aftermarket control arms. Im pretty sure all you have to do is weld a plate to the stock lower control arm and they will work on any obs.

This is what I have, but I'm pretty sure mine dont have the lower cup on them. The bag was bolted directly to the control arm.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1988-1998-gm-c1500-coolride-front-system.html

ryan 243

Apr 30, 2013
United States , illinois

mine is a 90 so they should work, i am new to this forum and these trucks(every truck i have owned has been lifted) so i dont know if u can send a pm or what , but i am interested and curious what u want for the setup and if u could send some pics

tpichevy

Mar 18, 2005
meridian, idaho

Have u had any problems with the coil overs? How well does it handle the corners? Do you think the 550 lbs spring was a good choice or would u go different if you did it again? I'm interested in doing this but I have factory lcas how would this work with my setup?

Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

After the bottom eyelet broke off of three of the shocks, I took the coilovers off and put my front bags back on. I'm not sure if was installation angle or what was causong it. Also, the 550lb springs seemed weak. I had to have the adjusters all the way up and the springs were bound just to keep the tires from rubbing. I'm not sure if these would be problems on the factory arms or not.