front coilovers for OBS

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC
Can anyone tell me the shock ride height for an OBS. Preferably with a 5" front drop. I'm trying to order all the stuff for my spring build and if I can get some stuff worked out I'm gonna do coilovers on the front to. I know that a front coilover kit for a 70-81 Fbody will fit but need a 1" spacer. What I need to figure out is what weight the springs need to be and how much bigger of a shock I need. Not to sound dumb but is it just 1" longer or is not quite that simple. Also the truck that had the coilovers was only a 2" drop up front, where I will be 4-5" with 2" of that being spindle.

Link to coilover kit from SS with front coilovers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-GE401-10350C/

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC
Re: front coilovers for OBS

Pretty sure I'm the only one to visit this section. Found my answers yet again and I will be doing this swap this spring.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

Wow, somebody else post in this section :D . I'm not gonna be able to do it till April but I will be doing this swap and I'll let everyone know how the drop/ride quality/ handling is afterwards. Unless someone want to try this out. I have talked to the guy who did this before me (for a pure drap setup) and confirmed some part numbers if anyone needs them. I think the swap would be around $350 or so.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

Yea I totally understand. I wouldn't call my build "pro touring" by any means. Most of those are $100k + builds and are amazing machines. I definitely want to be able to take it to the local Autocross tracks and see the look on someones face when they realized their time just got beat by a TRUCK :D And the adjustable ride height is pretty appealing too.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

If anyone is interested I do have some part numbers. Keep in mind these spring rates are for a BBC truck. For a small block I'd recommend between 350-500, but I really don't know.

Shocks

Non-Adjustable
QA1 - GE501 $339 Kit w/ Springs (can't buy this shock, have to buy kit) Kit number GE501 - 10550C for 10 x 550lb springs

Single Adjustable
QA1-GS501 - $179ea - $358 a Pair
QA1-GMP3 - $199ea - $398 a Pair
Heidts - Heidts CB-120 - $339 a Pair ( I will be using these

Springs (10 x 650lb)
Summit - SUM-102-5650 - $34.95 ea
QA1 - HAL - 10 -650 $37.95 ea

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

I always look in this section, but its rare for there to be much going on in here. I wish there were more PT guys on this site since I used to build PT cars where I used to work. Maybe one day I will be able to put all that I have learned over the years towards building a bada$$ PT truck.

Jul 28, 2008
Norman, Oklahoma

I hope they let you autocross that truck. I tried to autocross my old ECSB but they wouldn't let me due to trucks wheel base. Maybe I'll see you out there when I autox my gti.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

It will be nice. If I can find some spring cups for this coilover delima it should make it a for sure thing.

Does anybody have an idea where I can get some spring cups that are for 2.5" springs, to weld in my current spring cups to be able to run a regular 2.5" coil spring?

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

Yes that's what I'm trying to figure out. The kits I listed are with tapered springs (3.5" top with 2.5" bottom) that fit in the stock spring cups up top and fit on the coil over on bottom. That's fine for you guys, but they don't make a heavy enough spring for us BBC guys. Highest hey make is a 550lb spring and we really need something bigger. If I could weld a 2.5" spring cup up top that would mean we could use taller or heavier springs.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

Yea someone on GMFS was talking about those. They are definitely a little on the pricey side and with not a wholoe lot of options. Also do you need a tank and compressor to run these? Seems like a lot more options if we can figure out the coilover situation.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

No it's the same setup for BBC and SBC guys the difference is the spring rate. The BBC guys need 550lb springs (really more) and a spacer. So for the SBC guys probably a little lighter spring. I checked into the spring cups idea and there's no real good way to go about it so I ordered the 550lb springs and the spring spacer. Should drop the truck about 3" or so like that. So I really don't know what springs you need but you can read through all the threads that I posted links to earlier and decide what springs to get. I did order these, and when I get back I will do a write up on the whole thing.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I have looked into these as well. Never really pursued them because I have not seen anyone install them on there OBS. Just curious though, is 550 enough? Hotchkis coils for our trucks are a progressive rate, something like 750/1100lb spring rate.
What are your plans for the rear?
Have you thought about RideTech Shockwaves? Simple and compact and from what I have read and heard they handle very well.
Interested to see how they come out.
Looking forward to your updates.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

Spring rates - no they really aren't enough for a BBC truck. We need more but that's as big as they come.

Shockwaves - looked into them and with my budget going out the window quickly I couldn't justify the cost, and not alot of travel

Rear - Strange SA coilovers with a 4 link setup for autoX. A chassis mounted pivot watts link setup from Fays 2 with a custom built bracing for the pivot. Should be updating this thread along with my build thread around 2nd or 3rd week of april.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

Gatcha, maybe you can find another brand coil in a stiffer rate that will fit.

I hear yah, I cant justify the cost, yet, hah. Maybe one day, not now though.

Nice, sounds ike you have you ducks in a straight line. Lookin forward to your updates.
You have a link for that rear end?
Thanks

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

The springs are a whole different thing together. They are 3.5" up top, to sit in the spring cup, and 2.5" on the bottom, to sit on adjustment nut. The only way around this kind of spring is to fab up some upper control arms, maybe someday.

What do you mean link for the rear end? 4 Link or Watts link? Either way, here's what I designed in Autocad to have my brackets built.

Right side View

From Right Rear view

From the Bottom view, with fuel cell in place.

From Right side of truck with fuel cell in place

Last edited: