front coilovers for OBS

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC
Re: front coilovers for OBS

You could modify the stock control arms to make them work until you get tubular arms.

Sorry, I miss read what you wrote. I thought you were getting a Strange rear end and wanted a link to it.

Wow, that looks great. I wish I could find someone to whip up something like that for my rear suspension.
Are you using Fays2 components?
Nice work.

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

No strange rear end, gonna use stock 14 bolt with Eaton Tru Trac.

Strange rear coilovers, single adjustable and gonna start with 12" 225lb spring and see how that rides, may have to go up.

Watts link will all be fays2 components, I will have to fab up my own mount though.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

Nice, I'm a big fan of Eaton TruTracs, have one in my Hoe.

Gatcha. I think you might need to go up some, 225 isnt much. If I remember correctly, I had either 300lb or 350lb in my old pick up.

Thats going to be a nice set up.

What CAD program is that?
Thanks

Last edited:

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

I was gonna get the detroit locker, but I'm building this truck to be a DD and for my wife to enjoy also. The noise from the locker would have been a turnoff for her.

I'm thinkin the same thing, but I can pick those springs up for about $50 a pair shipped, probably less if I buy more than 1 at a time so I thought I'd try some different springs out.

It's solideworks/autocad 07. Got it free so can't complain about it. Once I got the hang of it I could make it do everything I needed so no need for newer software.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

Good choice, I thought about a locker to but was easily convinced to go with the TruTrac.

What manufacturer are you going to go with fr springs?

Solidworks free, do you have a link?
Thanks

V3NOM GTO

Mar 17, 2010
OKC

The front springs come with the coilovers as a kit. They are 10 x 550lb springs.

Solidworks free / Everything free - thepiratebay.org :D

Doober

Sep 28, 2003
Catalina, AZ/Swartz Creek, MI

So how'd this all come together? I would say 550# is too low too - I have a Hotchkis set on my '78 Malibu and the front springs are 600#. The ride is just about right on that imo, so I figured the weight/spring rate ratio, which was about 35% (spring rate 600#, front weight of a G-Body around 1700#). From this thread I got an estimate of an OBS RCSB, and added about 250# for a BBC - roughly 2550#, got about 62/38 distribution from the thread, and with the BBC that works out to about a 900# spring. My guess on a higher spring rate with the coilovers is durability concerns, though I'm not positive.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2004
Gotham City (Detroit)

Hey, I'm interested to see if you have any updates......I am interested as well but so far I haven't found anything suitable. IIRC, my Groundforce 2" drop coils are around 2000 lbs/inch spring rate. paired with the Bilstein shocks, they work very well. Unfortunately, we will have a very hard time finding coilovers for this reason. FYI, I'm using QA1 #DS501-12175V in the rear with 350# springs. I am very happy with them.

Jul 12, 2004
Texas 77971

If you're interested I crossreferenced the Edelbrock stainless tie rod adjusters and got the part number for our trucks. It's the same ones LMC offers in their mag for like 75 bucks. A little research and I got them for $45 off the shelf at O-Reilly's.

va454ss

Jun 9, 2003
VA

If you're interested I crossreferenced the Edelbrock stainless tie rod adjusters and got the part number for our trucks. It's the same ones LMC offers in their mag for like 75 bucks. A little research and I got them for $45 off the shelf at O-Reilly's.
You have a part number? thanks!