help with gimp

Dec 13, 2010
Nebraska
I just got gimp, and I'm trying to change the color of my pickup, but if I outline the whole thing then try to do another inside of it(like around the lights and windows so it doesn't paint them) the first one disappears. or if I just outline the whole pickup it paints everything including the windows and lights, but I can't go back and delete those parts. I watched a video on youtube and it said to copy and paste the path into a new layer, but once i copy it, I don't know where to paste it, It won't let me paste it anywhere.

Nov 16, 2011
MidWest
Re: help with gimp

I don't know for sure this will work... But try it, I use a different program.
First, select a picture that is huge, like 2300 x 2000.
Second, paint the entire picture WHITE, after you paint it, save it as a "JPEG" (DO NOT CLICK "SAVE", click "SAVE AS", "SAVE" will change the original image, you are creating a NEW image) in a place you can get right to it and name it something like "Z99" so it always stays in the same spot. after you save it, check the folder you saved it in, just to be sure you have saved it. DELETE the one you just painted, and open the one you just saved.
This will open an image, completely white, with NO LAYERS.
Third, After opening this completely white image, open your second image also.
Now you have a blank page to work on each layer separately, you can then trace your Image, click copy, move to the white image, click paste and do all of your editing there, then move it back.
Hope this helps, I am not familiar with gimp, but I'll show you some of the stuff I've done if you would like.
MasTequila!

Nov 16, 2011
MidWest
Re: help with gimp

Ill try that and see if it will work, and it would be cool to see some stuff you've done to.
Here's a link to a few pics, I can do some really killer stuff, but it takes a long time to do with photoimpression...
The gray truck, I completely re-did the step side bed to more or less have VERY large fender wells, the black truck I chopped, bobbed the bed and opened the wheel wells, the hand print started with an ad for "Apple" computers, and my tattoo. you can do tons more, and better but these are just examples of the past few days.

It won't allow me to post links as I haven't got enough posts yet...
try this, Go to Flikr, look up "Did It Hurt" then look at the photo impression pic set.

:cool:

Last edited: