How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

Jul 26, 2009
London ON
Re: How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

That link that Hicks attached is great.

I just have a couple of questions. If adusting the box helps. Why does everyone and there mother say NOT to do it?

I bought a new AGR box aa well as replaced everything accept my ball joints and I still have play in my steering. I contacted AGR and he sent me the same instructions in the link. Why would a new box need adjusting?

Thanks
I don't know why people say not to adjust the steering box, maybe just from fear of screwing it up, I really don't know. I don't see a downside to it, but I'm just some guy on the internet who may or may not have the factory service manual with instructions on how to adjust the gearbox.

AGR might not adjust the boxes before they ship them out, it doesn't make sense not to but I've read several people say they had to adjust their new boxes.

I don't know why people say not to adjust the steering box, maybe just from fear of screwing it up, I really don't know. I don't see a downside to it, but I'm just some guy on the internet who may or may not have the factory service manual with instructions on how to adjust the gearbox.

AGR might not adjust the boxes before they ship them out, it doesn't make sense not to but I've read several people say they had to adjust their new boxes.

We didnt really say dont do it we just said were not responsable... Nothing more than a legal thing... I trusted your advise i did it lol.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I hear that, I'm kind of intimidated by doing this. They sent me instructions. We'll see what happens.

That doesnt make any sense to me either. You'd think they'd at least adjust them before shipping them out.

Thanks man

So, for clarification, it seems a shaft from an 84-94 Jeep Cherokee will work? If you're like me and are uneasy about a junkyard part, ordering a new shaft from Crown Automotive or other aftermarket Jeep parts house for said year models should work? :confused: My shaft in my 88 K2500 has killed itself. The slip joint is worn out, rag joint is, well, ragged, and the actual shaft halves are loose fitting, causing about 45° of steering wheel play and lots of constant wandering. :whyme: The thing tries to change lanes on its own!!! Thanks y'all!!

Last edited:

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I feel your pain The Confederate, not thrilled about pulling used warn parts.
Does anyone have a part number for a shaft compatible to my Tahoe?
Thanks

I feel your pain The Confederate, not thrilled about pulling used warn parts.
Does anyone have a part number for a shaft compatible to my Tahoe?
Thanks
I just ordered a Crown Automotive shaft for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country part #4713943 from autopartswarehouse.com. It's listed at $117.98 When I get it I'll touch base here and let you know how it fits. They offer the same part number for 84-94 Cherokees. If your Tahoe resembles the 88-94 trucks (no airbags, ect) I say it may be the one I ordered.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

Thats what gets me, I have an airbag. I think others in here have done this mod with airbags.
I will check back to see how it went.
Thanks for the info.

helo

Oct 17, 2010
north-central PA

Borg warner manufactures u-joint shafts specifically for our trucks if you really want something "new." Not much sense in buying a "new" JEEP shaft since the length is wrong and you have to heat up the inner plastic sleeve to collapse it enough to make it fit (or worse, drill the plastic cross-pins if it's the crappy style xj shaft).

I just installed an xj shaft and it was worth the $10 I paid. It's a noticeably firmer/tighter feel now. The whole point of using an XJ shaft is the cheap price!

I bolted up a junkyard box at the same time and it was an epic fail, had an issue where it would bind and pop while turning all the way right. Still need to pull the guts and see what's up (sounds like disintegrated ball(s)?). I put that sector shaft in a different (2wd) box and all is well now. My old 4wd box is beyond worn, sector shaft is junk and I'm sure the other hard parts are about the same although harder to visually determine that for sure. Sector shaft I'm running now is way more worn than I'd like, but it feels good and should live for quite some time.

I only wish delphi or somebody would make the hard parts for our saginaw boxes. Even PSC/AGR/redhead boxes are built with used/worn hard parts.. what a sham.
Bilstein makes recirc-ball boxes now, but they seem to only do unimog trucks and whatnot so far. No idea on pricing, but I'd totally pay $800 for a truly NEW box (for my oobs).

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I have seen BWs shafts, very nice and very expensive. I would love to have and would save for one BUT, I'm a little concerned about the airbag issue. What is the big deal with the airbag anyway? I would rather buy something that bolts right up then have to modify it but, do they exsist for my vehicle? Without affecting the airbag issue? I did not know you had to heat the inner sleeve or whatever has to be done, cutting yes, heating up no.
I also went through a bad box, will never do that again. Have you seen the rack and pinion thread? Looks very interesting.

I also agree, I'd rather buy new than any reman stuff but, like said its not available.

Borg warner manufactures u-joint shafts specifically for our trucks if you really want something "new."
Well, I'm not a huge fan of paying $250 or more for a 1"x1"x18" piece of metal. Also don't want a $10 worn out junkyard part either. My steering shaft is at a danger point. My truck tries to change lanes on its own!! GM no longer makes the factory assembly. No parts houses carry them either. I'll take the brand new Jeep Cherokee shaft for $150 cheaper to replace and upgrade any day.

Not much sense in buying a "new" JEEP shaft since the length is wrong and you have to heat up the inner plastic sleeve to collapse it enough to make it fit (or worse, drill the plastic cross-pins if it's the crappy style xj shaft).
If you read the original poster's text carefully, you will see the heating aids in the removal from the Jeep at a junkyard if "they've been sitting." A new one should telescope enough for easy installation and removal.

The shaft can be a little hard to remove as sometimes you have to heat them to get them to compress if they've been sitting.
Also the length should not be a problem, as the original poster said,"It fit almost perfectly." With exception to the small dimple that has to be made in the end of the Chevy's upper column for the retaining bolt, it should bolt right in. Judging by his pictures, this is so.

We went to the junkyard and picked one up to put in his car but before he put it in, I test fit it in my truck. It fit almost perfectly. The only modification required was to shave a little (like a couple millimeters) from the steering column end to clear the retaining bolt for the intermediate shaft.
I should get the new Jeep shaft in a couple days now. I'm comfortable with my decisions and research so far, but will post back with the results, positive OR negative.

Last edited:

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

I should get the new Jeep shaft in a couple days now. I'm comfortable with my decisions and research so far, but will post back with the results, positive OR negative.
Please do post info when you get it and install it. I am very interested.

Thanks

Just stopped by to say I haven't forgotten!! I'm still waiting on the shipment. It has to make the trip from somewhere in Wisconsin to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. C'mon Fed Ex!! Get the lead out!!

Dev's93

Mar 11, 2010
Shelbyville , IN

a few of the guys have installed em on trucks with airbags when they get to cut off year the air bag isnt the issue its were it come out of the firewall thats diff. I am still pleased with mine after about 1200 miles next step will be an ss steering box to take it from 3.0 turns to 2.5 but I will prob wait to do that when I bag it since Ill most of susp tore apart anyways

Ok. I got the new shaft last Friday (Aug 4th). The splines match the gearbox perfectly, and the other end fit the GM upper column just as displayed in previous posts. The only problem was the press-fit and paint-sealing of the two halves of the shaft, where it collapses during a collision. It needed to compress about 2-3 inches. Pinch the narrower half in a vise pointing downward with about 3 inches exposed above. Slowly and evenly heat ONLY the larger half of the shaft, but keep a wet rag handy for the rubber joint so it doesn't get hot. (Keep the lower shaft half cooler, too. Whatever you do, don't shock cool anything!!!) After a few minutes of heating the upper half, it literally slid down on its own. Now go grind that little dimple in the GM upper column (while the shaft is air cooling) for the Jeep pinch bolt and wha-la! Bolts right in! It works, 100%! :10: So well in fact, now I have to fix the driver. I'm so used to chasing the tires to stay straight, I make myself swerve now! :slap: To all the nay-sayers, HA! :tongue::eek:wned:

*EDIT* Also wanted to apologize for taking so long! I've been extremely busy rebuilding and beefing up a couple 4L60E's on the side. I just installed the shaft yesterday (Aug 7th).

Last edited: