How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

Re: How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

Well, not zero play, but pretty close!! It IS an 88 model after all! I've gone down from about 45° either direction to about 10°, with the Jeep shaft alone. I went in after that and adjusted the sector shaft jam nut and rod on the gear box down some and got it down to just barely a wiggle, like 2°. Did myself a good alignment, and my truck handles better than it ever has, and I've owned it for over 6 years.

Tigwldr

Jul 18, 2008
NC

Well, that is great news.
I have been doing some research for myself and found that the AGR gear box is not supposed to be hooked up to the assist system in the steering pump. They sell a kit that eliminates it or I can buy a 96 version with the correct fitting and that will help some as well.

The actual column design changed, so simply deleting the air bag won't work. Basically, if the base of the upper column half coming out of the firewall doesn't look like the pictures posted earlier in the thread, it will not work.

Oct 13, 2004
Iowa

If there is anybody still wanting to do this, our local Grab & Go has 6 more Jeeps this style up there. I know for sure there are 4 shafts, the other two Jeeps I didn't notice until I was leaving. But I grabbed myself one of these shafts and just go it in, greatly improved steering. Certainly not the easiest to get out though, I unbolted the Jeep's steering box from the frame because the shaft didn't want to slide together, oh well, worth it.

mc87ss

Feb 7, 2012
Tallahassee FL

Hey guys, been awhile.
Got something new to show you.
Hows this for a nice unit.
This is a copy / paste from another board.

I have a new product for you die-hard GM fans that refuse to put a Chrysler part on your car. I have done some research and testing and now have available a GM steering shaft upgrade. In addition to coming off a GM they also have a set screw you tighten after installation to eliminate all shaft movement, they have a metal bushing instead of the worn out mostly broken plastic bushing on the inner shaft and for those of you with large tube headers the shaft is the opposite of the Jeep shaft so the small end attaches to the steering column allowing the most available clearance.

This is the end that attaches to the steering column:

This is the steering box end, note how nice the u-joint is:

Set screw in the center:

Metal bushing in lieu of plastic:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2013
hanover va

I have a 97 with 3" bl that keeps destroying rag joints, if I change the coupler at the bottom of my steering shaft with a u joint set up and do away with the rag joint would it work with the air bag or would I have to do away with the air bag?

chvz99

Apr 15, 2013
tx

If yours is like the one below, then no, it will not work.
how many of you guys have had the rag joint failed ( top by fire wall 94- )
(95+ the one inside the fire wall )?
im in the process of redoing my suspension I know the Borgeson 000935 will work with the 95+ trucks n suvs , only if 1 don't use the top joint, u can use if desire but this will give you 3 joints , 2 for the burgeson shaft n 1 rag joint ( inside the cab, that's y Im asking if any have seen this one failed 95+ years?

now for explaining how I know it will work on 95+ trucks is that burgeson 000935 shaft is double d shaped , gear box side shaft is 3/4in the fire wall side shaft is 13/16, the steering column coming from fire wall is 3/4 in,,, now u only slide the 13/16 over the column shaft n drill a hole for the bolt n done, the gear side its the same procedure as 94- years. you don't need the upper u joint connection since we already have the rag joint in side the fire wall. unless this rag joint is prone to failure like the one under the hood this is the way to do it. I will be ordering this but wont be installing it for about a month since im doing the energy busshings first and the the rest of the suspension components minus ball joints those are new, 1 month old. thank god for DD hoes, lol
now if you want to use the factory jeep shaft you can only thing you would have to do is eliminate the top joint and weld a coupler to attach to the shaft coming from fire wall, or keep the joint and have 3 like mentioned above.
Summit Racing Part Number:BRG-000935
UPC:843975000329

Collapsible:Yes

Collapsed Length (in):19.500 in.

Extended Length (in):33.500 in.

Universal Joints Included:Yes

Rag Joint Included:No

Vibration Damper Included:No

Shaft Style:Double D

Steering Box Shaft Diameter (in):3/4 in.

Steering Box Splines:30

Column Shaft Diameter (in):13/16 in.

Steering Shaft Material:Steel

Steering Shaft Finish:Natural

mc87ss

Feb 7, 2012
Tallahassee FL

Hey guys,
I still get the Jeep shafts on a regular basis. If you don't have a local yard or would rather have a ready to install unit delivered to your door send me a PM.
I tack weld the top to prevent any slippage in the rubber isolator, spread the ends so they slide right on, clean the bolt threads, strip to bare metal and paint gloss black. Then i grease the inside of the shaft & wrap it like its fine china to prepare for shipping.

Last edited:

kcfan491

Mar 7, 2014
kansas

Hey guys,
I still get the Jeep shafts on a regular basis. If you don't have a local yard or would rather have a ready to install unit delivered to your door send me a PM.
I tack weld the top to prevent any slippage in the rubber isolator, spread the ends so they slide right on, clean the bolt threads, strip to bare metal and paint gloss black. Then i grease the inside of the shaft & wrap it like its fine china to prepare for shipping.
Pm'd. I need one

Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

Im curious about the mention of the ZJ box on the first page. Supposedly it is a fast ratio? Any specific models? Anybody done this?

SoB

Oct 9, 2013
British Columbia

I just picked up a shaft from a 95 jeep Cherokee, i believe its the right one, i just havent seen the plastic cover on the ones ive been looking at online...do i just remove it off the smaller shaft (at the beginning of the V13249) then heat it up to get it to compress? (sorry im sure its been mentioned)

mc87ss

Feb 7, 2012
Tallahassee FL

The plastic cover serves no purpose, you can take it off and throw it away or save it and clip it back on when your done.
Be careful on that type of shaft, its easy to compromise the rubber isolator and there is no way to stop it from slipping if it is loose.

Brian G

Feb 14, 2004
Vancouver WA

For all you guys with a joint that attaches to the steering column-IE people with (1996?) or newer trucks with airbags.
I disassembled my steering shaft last week and noted that the upper shaft joint (the one that connects to the steering column base) is about 6-7 inches and has a 1"DD female connection in it.
So using the information provided by chvz99 regarding the Borgeson shaft, this is what we have.

1, There is a primary shaft at the base of the steering column. It has a universal joint enclosed in a flexible rubber seal, it has a female 1" DD that attaches to the steering column's male 1"DD. The shaft is about 6-7" long.
2, We have an intermediate shaft that has a (according to chvz99 info-I did not measure the diameter) Column Shaft Diameter of (in):13/16 in
3, we have a final (#3) shaft that connects to the steering gear box (the intermediate shaft telescopes out of the final shaft to the primary shaft that connects to the base of the steering column inside of the truck cab).

An easy fix would be to follow chvz99 advice and connect to the upper steering shaft (the short one with an u joint exiting the fire wall that I described above).

Another fix for us would be a telescoping shaft that has a female 1" DD connector at the top-to connect to the base of the steering column, and than a 3/4" 30 spline connection for the steering gear connector.
And lets not forget that the telescoping shafts need to be compatible with the upper and lower joints (basically the telescoping shaft need to fit into the u-joints/vibration damper joints that join the steering column and the steering gear box. I think this shaft would work well:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-450024/overview/

For the upper joint that connects to the steering column:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1717dd/overview/

For the joint at the steering gear:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1733dd/overview/

A VERY expensive damper for the gear box joint:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1898pl/overview/
OR:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1898/overview/
OR for a bit less:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-034931/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-3000034931/overview/

You might be able to use the stock telescoping shaft from the truck and just attach a u-joint/damper to the top and bottom-but I'm not sure it would telescope out enough, I unfortunately did not measure the maximum length of the stock shaft.
Or you could just add a new joint at the steering gear and get rid of the rag joint.

I measured the total steering shaft length from the gear box to the column (including upper and lower joints) it is approximately 32" long.

Also, the jeep steering shaft extends to a maximum length of 23" per 87MCss, so you would need to account for this and add material to the upper portion of the shaft.

Disclaimer:
As I am not a mechanic and I have not attempted this, nor do I have any real play in my steering shaft (it's almost all in my steering gear), I hold no responsibility for what you do to your vehicle. This reply is simply for information and or entertainment.

I hope it helps.
The crappy sloppy steering in these vehicles is pathetic at best!

Last edited:

Brian G

Feb 14, 2004
Vancouver WA

I hope my above written post helps someone-now I have a question for the OP and anyone else that might know.

First question:
Anyone have an opinion of the AGR or the Redhead steering gears boxes? I REALLY HATE the dead on center feel the stock gear has had since new, I've read good things about Redhead and good/bad things about AGR.
I would love a variable rate box that is light and 12:1 at slow speeds and not so touchy on the highway-I think AGR has something like this.
My biggest concern is no dead on center steering-nearest I can get to BMW M3 steering response would be great : )
Anyone with first hand experience?
Thanks in advance.

Second question, posted for forum information as I am already heading toward a new gear box.

My steering gear has a significant amount of steering slop when turning to the right as compared to turning left, there is slop in both directions-but the right turn is double that of a left turn. I have tracked this issue to the steering gear, when I disassembled my shaft from the steering column I could turn the steering shaft in my hand with the wheels on the ground-much more slop turning right (right!?) I have improved this slop by canting my steering shaft counter clockwise ( facing the steering gear from the cab) a few degrees, this has helped a modest amount.
So, removing the steering gear and tightening the internal adjuster as the OP did-would this solve this issue, or no?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2005
Woodland Hills

For all you guys with a joint that attaches to the steering column-IE people with (1996?) or newer trucks with airbags.
I disassembled my steering shaft last week and noted that the upper shaft joint (the one that connects to the steering column base) is about 6-7 inches and has a 1"DD female connection in it.
So using the information provided by chvz99 regarding the Borgeson shaft, this is what we have.

1, There is a primary shaft at the base of the steering column. It has a universal joint enclosed in a flexible rubber seal, it has a female 1" DD that attaches to the steering column's male 1"DD. The shaft is about 6-7" long.
2, We have an intermediate shaft that has a (according to chvz99 info-I did not measure the diameter) Column Shaft Diameter of (in):13/16 in
3, we have a final (#3) shaft that connects to the steering gear box (the intermediate shaft telescopes out of the final shaft to the primary shaft that connects to the base of the steering column inside of the truck cab).

An easy fix would be to follow chvz99 advice and connect to the upper steering shaft (the short one with an u joint exiting the fire wall that I described above).

Another fix for us would be a telescoping shaft that has a female 1" DD connector at the top-to connect to the base of the steering column, and than a 3/4" 30 spline connection for the steering gear connector.
And lets not forget that the telescoping shafts need to be compatible with the upper and lower joints (basically the telescoping shaft need to fit into the u-joints/vibration damper joints that join the steering column and the steering gear box. I think this shaft would work well:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-450024/overview/

For the upper joint that connects to the steering column:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1717dd/overview/

For the joint at the steering gear:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1733dd/overview/

A VERY expensive damper for the gear box joint:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1898pl/overview/
OR:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1898/overview/
OR for a bit less:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-034931/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-3000034931/overview/

You might be able to use the stock telescoping shaft from the truck and just attach a u-joint/damper to the top and bottom-but I'm not sure it would telescope out enough, I unfortunately did not measure the maximum length of the stock shaft.
Or you could just add a new joint at the steering gear and get rid of the rag joint.

I measured the total steering shaft length from the gear box to the column (including upper and lower joints) it is approximately 32" long.

Also, the jeep steering shaft extends to a maximum length of 23" per 87MCss, so you would need to account for this and add material to the upper portion of the shaft.

Disclaimer:
As I am not a mechanic and I have not attempted this, nor do I have any real play in my steering shaft (it's almost all in my steering gear), I hold no responsibility for what you do to your vehicle. This reply is simply for information and or entertainment.

I hope it helps.
The crappy sloppy steering in these vehicles is pathetic at best!
Hey thank you for this info I think I am going to attempt this in my Tahoe Limited I have everything apart now any suggestions on what way to go?