How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

Brian G

Feb 14, 2004
Vancouver WA
Re: How I got rid of my steering slop on the cheap (OBS)

Hey thank you for this info I think I am going to attempt this in my Tahoe Limited I have everything apart now any suggestions on what way to go?
I've not touched my steering shaft other than changing the rag joint some years ago, just swapped a Red head steering gear in-it helped, but there still is a slight amount of xtra slop when turning right (!?) Maybe the u joint that connects to the base of the steering wheel is the culprit? LMK what you do, and if it helps.
Thanks.

nrowensby

Jul 15, 2015
Lexington, SC

Awesome info... This is the main reason I joined the site was to figure out WTF I needed to do to tighten up the steering in this old lady I just picked up! :D

Aug 5, 2015
Milwaukee, WI

Too many posts asking the same things and no search feature.

Is the main important parts a sticky somewhere?

I have a 98 k1500 pickup with auto, 4x4, vortec 5.7, and z71, I dont know if have that variable steering doodad, but i heard that if you're not careful you can deploy the airbag by messing with this stuff.

Can anyone confirm for me what cherokee shaft and any other required component for sure works with the 1998?
My thought process so far is that this shaft will work if I dont have that variable steering baloney: part number BRG-000935 from summitracing.
And that all I will have to do is cut a flat side in the gear box input shaft and maybe cut a groove in the gear box input shaft to allow the bolt to tighten the joint over the gear box input shaft.

Last edited:

for you 95+ guys out there, you CAN use the cherokee shafts, it just takes more work. easiest way to do it it to remove the intermediate shaft all together, take it apart, and use the solid metal double-D shaped piece to go back up into the columns, and bolt it in.

this gives you a straight shaft all the way out of the firewall. next, get a cherokee shaft and massage the top end hole so it will slide over the double-D shaft you bolted into your column.

don't worry about the notch, you're not done yet. now, try and hook up the shaft - if you're fully compressed with the XJ shaft and it won't go on the gear box, cut off some of the solid shaft extension you made earlier. if it's too short, simply extend out with the shaft. if you figure out you're at full extension and STILL too short, get another intermediate shaft to cut up and try again, God knows there's 50 of them we all trip over because no one wants them.

Now, once it all fits and slide where it's supposed to, get a dremel or a round file and put your notch in the shaft out of the firewall, then finish bolting in your new XJ steering fix. done, son.

p.s. - if you haven't removed the stupid EVO disc sensor doohicky from the column, no is a good time to do so.

at present, I'm working on a NBS gearbox swap. I have no idea why no one has ever done this, but I'm gonna try it. I'm also putting hydroboost from the same 2004 suburban truck on my 98 K1500. should be interesting, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

If this interests anyone out there, here is my progress so far, need to update today.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/hydroboost-install-how-to-with-pics.156800/page-13

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2006
Medford, OR

What I don't understand, is why no one has adapted the rack & pinion off of a NBS, into an OBS. I have both subframes, and after a lot of measuring and guesstimating, it looks pretty easily doable.

Last edited:

No idea. I'm going for a bolt-on route, something that fixes my steering once and for all (hopefully) using parts I can readily source from a parts store without too much trouble.I eventually want to take my truck on Power Tour, so if it breaks, I want it to be fixable more easily. but I'll say this - rack and pinion would be SWEEEET.