instead of buying a brand new truck....98 Z71 Restoration questions?

devore4x4

Nov 17, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
hey Guys, I had been a member on here awhile back and came back to seek some advice

I'm in the market currently for a new truck. I'm a big fan of Ext. cab Z71's, I've owned 5 over the years. my very favorite one was my trusty old 98 black Ext. cab, and unfortunately about 8 years ago I decided to plow her into a tree late one night. luckily I made it out okay, but the truck did not.

now that the backstory is there, am I crazy to think I can restore an old 98 Z from the ground up in order to fill the hole in my life that has missed the black beast dearly??

I was thinking find a Z in good shape, strip down and build from the ground up with everything new. obviously this is a big bill, but I'm a lot more into spending that money on a solid older truck than the new high tech trucks of today. anyone ever done this? I'm not interested in lifting it to the sky, or anything extravagant, as this will be a DD. all new powertrain, new interior, etc.

I'd like to keep it as original as possible as well(as close to the pictures of my old truck below). any positive input is greatly appreciated! I don't have the means to do any of this by myself, so shop recommendations in the south FL area are appreciated as well.

Aug 23, 2006
Indiana
Re: instead of buying a brand new truck....98 Z71 Restoration questions?

I dont see why you would need to build it from the ground up. If you start with a decent truck all youre looking at is suspension, brakes, bushings and you should be good. You could do an engine rebuild but if you find a solid one drive it til she pukes. My biggest thing would be making sure frame and body mounts were good, the rest is fairly easy to remedy... of course body cancer should be avoided as much as possible.