Low97tahoE's "new" '01 ECSB build

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Ok, so i decided to start a build thread for this truck because I know I will do many things in the future so I can keep it all organized in here. So I ordered everything to drop my '01 that I've had for about 3 months. I was so used to my old hoe dropped 5/7, I'm tired of not being low anymore. I ordered all Mcgaughys parts through www.grunionfabrication.com. it cost me $767 for the whole kit plus shock extenders and the carrier bearing bracket. It's 1" drop coils, 2" drop spindles, and 6" flip kit. Grunion had the best prices out of anyone, and I looked everywhere. I also got some Belltech Street Performance Shocks for the rear. They were $107 for the pair. Part # 2209ff. I'm gonna pick up some upper ball joints before I get started on it because I have one busted one. I will post pics here when its done and maybe some progress pics too. I plan to do it next Tuesday, then notch it on Wednesday and do the carrier bearing bracket. Here's some pics of my truck as it sits now:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
All my lowering parts sittin there waitin for Tuesday when I put em on

Shocks

Gotta change my fuel pump while the bed is off

And a pic of my newly installed wiper stud covers off my old hoe lol...had to do a little custom work to make them fit the tapered stud on this truck but works great

Last edited:

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Gotta add some pics of when I got it, and its progress so far, so here they are:

At the dealership, BEST Chevrolet in New Orleans

At home

After a few hours of removing everything I didn't like...bug shield, window visors, louvers, front license plate, fender flares, all badges, etc.

Removed moulding and put on some 2" shackles from autozone and a Corvette servo, only had the truck for about a week at this point

Found some nice 03-06 17s to ride on until i finish the truck and can afford 22s, $250 on decent tires off of Craigslist

Exactly how it is now, recent pic with clear corners and 255/50/17 Kumho Ecsta ASX tires

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Performance wise, I just have a custom tune from Thunder Racing, and I changed my intake tube and kept stock box with k&n drop in (worked great), and Vette servo

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Feel free to let me know what u think of the truck so far, I always liked white vehicles, and I love the GM gray, so I'm pretty happy with the white/gray combo, I plan to make it a full colormatched HD...I've never seen an HD or HD conversion this color so I think it'll be sweet

Mar 24, 2008
Louisiana
Re: Low97tahoE's "new" '01 ECSB build

I like it. Tires look a little short but other than that I like it. Tires wont look so out of place once you lower it though.

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
O yea, it'll definitely move, I was set on a 5.3 when I was lookin for a truck, but I couldn't find one with lowish miles or no leaks or one that wasn't full of dings and scratches, but I really like this truck, its fun to drive and I'm glad to have an LS, and this 4.8 is quick, one day I'm thinkin LS1 swap when I get outta college, but for now its fine, but when I do the swap, I'm gonna keep the underhood looking original besides some painted parts, and the original plastic cover that says 4.8, so ppl who don't knoq what they're looking at will have no clue until I light up the tires

Low97tahoE

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Well, I removed my windshield washer fluid box last night, never used so I don't need to keep it in there...then I spent some time cleaning and waxing this new toy

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Yep :), always had hondas, since I was 7 years old, fourwheelers and dirtbikes, but this is our first KTM, and its stupid fast, and a lot of fun

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
Well, after about 20ish hours of work, takin my time and usin a hell of a lot of cuss words, its lowered

Notch and carrier bearing getting done by a friend who has his own custom car/truck business, he welded in the notch inside and out

Carrier bearing being done

Was gonna paint the frame but I doused it with purple power and washed it off and it came very clean, very little rust

Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
And I have to say, the lower balljoint rivets are the most aggravating and ridiculous rivets I have ever had to deal with in my life, after grinding and punching with the air hammer, I realized that they have to be drilled all the way through, and the pass. side was going well, got 3 out and then broke a 3/16" bit in the last one when drilling the pilot hole, so we fought with that for about 4 hrs, can't drill through a drill bit, so we just beat the **** out of the balljoint, knocking it all around, and beating that rivet with air hammer and old fashioned hammer and punch, gave it hell and it finally came out, flip kit took maybe 40 minutes, and then went back to the front and put the spindles on and all, also had to basically rethread the balljoint press with a file and wire brush, it froze and would not release....ran into quite a few problems but its great now, rides like a caddy and the steering is real tight, it steers and rides much better than it did at stock height, I replaced rear shocks but not front, ill wait on the fronts

Also, it is ridin dirty a little bit right now, got the cali lean, but my cousins '00 ECSB and his friends '01 both took weeks to months before the front end settle, or the coils settled I should say, so I'm gonna ride like it is for awhile and see what happens, if I have to, ill get some belltech 1/2" lift shackles to bring the back up some, but I sure hope it settles

EDIT: I'm at the alignment shop now, and just after he messed with the front end a little and drove it, it came down some in the front, its damn near level now if not level, and he's still workin on it

The alignment guy driving it

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
Central, Louisiana
The ppl I go to, my grandpa went to them for years, and my dad has gone to them for like 35 years, and all my cousins and uncles go to them, they've been open since the '50s and the ppl that work at the desk and one of the mechanics are the same ppl that worked there since it opened...the guy at the desk in his 60s and his mom works there and she's in her 80s lol, they do a great job and really care for the customer and do it right, I'd never go anywhere else

Mar 20, 2011
Maine
Re: Low97tahoE's "new" '01 ECSB build

My dad and I used to go to this one guy until he said he needed a new ball joint when we checked it and it was fine but he won't allign it so we need to find a new guy