My 2004 Silvy Stepside DD

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Well i got rid of the dodge last week and bought a 2004 Chevy reg cab stepside. This truck is so much nicer than the dodge i got rid of. It only has 41xxx mi! This thing is cherry. There is hardly a rock chip let alone a scratch on the damn thing.

Like any other vehicle i buy ...it always turns into a project. So i figured i'd just go ahead and post a thread now ..lol .

Truck has alot of options. Its all power, bose 6 disc, steering controls..etc. Its a one owner and the previous owner put some silverado SS 20s on it.

Plans:
2/4 then possibly 4/6
(I already have the flip kit and I'm probably buying some spindles and springs shortly)
Billet grill
Tint
HIDs
Rollpan with hidden hitch
Possibly SS bumper
Replace monster muffler with a flowmaster or something

Im gonna just keep this one simple and its gonna stay static for sure. I still need something to pull my boat and occasional utility trailer.

Also i drove about 50mi. last night and picked up some steelies for the winter time. They have 3 tires that have about 75% tread and the other had a blowout. I got em for $125 bucks!! When i got there the guy told me they were cop steelies off a tahoe... Can anyone confirm this?? I'm not sure what the difference is between the cop steelies and work truck steelies. All i know is that they were white and have been painted.

Heres a couple cell pics and ill update as i do a few things here and there. Let me know what you all think.. Thanks!

Steelies

Last edited:

Tweaks

Sep 17, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Re: My 2004 Silvy Stepside DD

Have you source what you will use for the rollpan/hitch yet? I recently went that route with my stepside. I got a urethane street scene rollpan with their hidden hitch, license plate flip kit, and I did all the prep and install work myself. Turned out very nice and has been holding up great so far this winter.

I think one of the moderators put my NBS stepside rollpan how-to write-up over in the tech article section so look for it there if you need ideas and insight. Or, you're more than welcome to send me a PM about it.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Looks nice.You dont see a lot of those steppers.
I see it has GMC side mouldings..
Thank you sir.. I wondered if those side moldings were factory...now I guess I have my answer. It also has Chrome handles inside and out that I don't think are factory either. Have any idea if those are cop steelies or not?

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

well...small update time since i haven't posted anything in forever..lol

Finally gathered all the parts for my 4/6 ..most of it used and from this website (thanks again all)
All and all i'm very happy with the results.. Kinda want to still bring it down a tad so i have no fender gap....but it drives really nice so i haven't made up my mind
Pic...Also FYI...the other 275/55s were nowhere near close to tucking with the SS wheels ...so i picked up some General Grabbers in 255/45 size. Really happy with the tire choice so far.. wish i could have gone wider but thats not an option with the offset of these wheels. They dont rub at all in the front but in the rear they rub the inner fenderwells ever so slightly when you have a little weight in it.

another pic nuzzled away in its bunk along with the 90

im also going to pick up a goodmark cowl hood from a local guy this weekend. Its got some damage on the corners from being dropped during shipping. I really wasnt planning on buying a new hood because i like the stock hoods on these trucks but its dirt cheap and my next mod is a roll pan so its gonna get some paint work anyways.
this is the actual hood...the damage is on the corners up by the cowl (cant see it in this pic)

TylerP

Oct 7, 2008
Mahomet

What did you use to lower the truck 4/6? I've got an 03 stepside looking to do the same drop. Thanks

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

I kinda used a hodge podge of stuff. I just kept my eyes open and was patient and found most everything used. I used belltech 2 in coils and 2in spindles with belltech street performance shocks for the front. Then i used a belltech flip kit with a mcgaheys (however you spell it) notch, shocks, and shock extenders in the rear. Everything was very lightly used besides the notch (had to buy it new) and the flip kit (which i bought new from a member that never installed it). Im very happy with it and it rides really nice.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Well been spending a little time on both trucks lately so figured I'd post up a couple pics. Had the truck just straight piped with a dual tip out the side since i dropped it. Got tired of the drone and the damn thing scraping everywhere. Cut that crap off and put a super 44 on it dumped. Sounds ok..but its actually a little quiet for my taste. Its only temporary because this winter i want to put long tubes on it and thinking about getting one of those spintech mufflers. When ahead and painted the calipers and rotors on the rear while I had the wheels off.

Also picked up a hidden hitch for $50 and also heres a pic of the Goodmark hood i got for $120. Just need a rollpan now ...and then I'll get them both painted and installed. That also might be a winter project.

This is what i cut off...

Then replaced it with this...

Oh ya almost forgot...I Might score, what i feel will be the deal of the year. My boss wants to trade some the 20s off of his 07 Sierra for those steelies i posted a few post back. He is old...and cheap so he doesnt want to pay for 20" tires. Deal is not set in stone yet, he just needs to confirm that the TPS sensors will work in the 17" steelies. Here is the style he has. Not sure what I'm really going to do with these if I get them but ..hey cant pass it up.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois

Spintech 6000 FTW :head:

And those wheels would be an awesome score! I like the SSS wheels better though :D
I agree 100% on the wheels. The SS wheels are definatly staying. Might see how they will look on the 90. Although, I guarentee I would be the first person to take a 454ss rearend and convert it to 5 lug. Lol.

Aug 4, 2010
Kansas City, Mo

Those GMC 20's are a good looking wheel. If nothing else you could sell them on eBay and make some mod money. Depending on the condition of the tires you could sell those for $1000 - 1200 without any issue.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Well...Thinking about selling the 04 (or trading it off),,figured I'd bump this thread in case there was any interest. My bagged truck is pretty much done so I find myself driving it on nice days now while the 04 sits. This truck is so clean and nice...still. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer 04. And I really mean this is I am super picky myself. I think it has just over 52xxx now but when I put a for sale thread I'll have the exact number. I think the only mods since update was silver overlay , new stepper motors, Denali needles, and blue meds in the gauge cluster. Has hids and all the interior lights are led. Installed the hidden hitch finally but have never hauled anything. Has been in the garage most of its life at least since I've had it. Not quite sure on the price yet pm me if interested or if you have input of what I should ask or take for it. Like I said I'll post a for sale thread soon. Time to move on to the next thing. With that said...only trade I'd consider is 97-04 c5 corvettes.

Thanks again to this forum I never would have been able to do all of the things I've done to both trucks if it wasn't for this site.

Sep 9, 2009
Illinois
Vette deal didn't work out so kept the truck and glad I did. Decided to bump this thread up a bit since I hope to have a few parts coming for this thing shortly. I'm going to be ordering a cam through Texas speed along with some new springs and pushrods.

Since the last time I've updated I've put on some stainless long tubes ORY and Gibson super truck exhaust. I fabbed up a cutout today in anticipation of the new cam. Love how it sounds now. Don't have any pics of the long tubes installed but I just washed her up today so I'll try to snap a few pics when I get a chance.

Just a few pics of the long tubes , cutout and a pic with my 90 from this summer

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk