My Old Ride...RIP.

Feb 26, 2011
Michigan
I need to get pics of my current truck, and even the one I gave my sis.Will do that soon. But till then.....

Well here is my old ride. 1993 GMC Sierra. Originally had 4.3L nothing special at all (first pic). Did a little upgrade the first year I had it (second pic). The second year I had it...well it got a major overhaul. See third pic and beyond. The 4.3 ended up having a bad cylinder and I wasn't about to rebuild a V6 for a full size truck. But my father and me got creative...and that third pic is what ensued.

Day I brought it home:

During the course of first year owning it...I had to upgrade a little till we decided what to do with the motor situation

Then she became this:

Loaded with a 32V Northstar fabed to a 4L80E. Folks I miss this truck, I got killer MPG and blew more sports cars off the road than I can keep track of. I did end up changing the air filter boxes out to one from a 6.5 TD. The pics show when I still had the dual boxes.

I don't want to show why I say RIP. Needless to say she was in a bad accident and a total loss. Still ran though...was quite amusing.

Feb 26, 2011
Michigan
Re: My Old Ride...RIP.

Those northstars sound awesome with a good exhaust!
Oh yes. I only ran a single of 3.5" from the y, a 4.5" resonator tip and a muffler off a 7.3 TD, by god did it sound amazing. I had the 34 Gal gas tank, so running duals wasn't on my list (yes it could have been done but, I wanted to really trip folks up so that it almost seemed factory stock.

Tweaks

Sep 17, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

Wow. That was a great setup under the hood. Wish GM would take a cue from you so that we could all look forward to fuel friendly V8's in future truck generations.

Feb 26, 2011
Michigan
Re: My Old Ride...RIP....now with more pics for viewing pleasure

Re: My Old Ride...RIP....now with more pics for viewing pleasure

Here are a few pics from the build of that monster. You would be amazed that only one heaqder had to be built one OEM could be used. Same with engine mounts, one built one OEM.

Bellhousing adapter- not completely finished

Gutted:

Before any finishing touches (repainted intake cover, valve covers, etc)

And yes we had to mount the computer behind the seat as sure as heck couldn't put it in the dash, too big.

Feb 26, 2011
Michigan

Wow. That was a great setup under the hood. Wish GM would take a cue from you so that we could all look forward to fuel friendly V8's in future truck generations.
I whole heartedly agree. Actually that truck made its rounds to Cadillac dealers and GM truck dealers. With a little tweaking that motor could have been made perfect for a truck.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Michigan

yes..start a build thread :D
Talk about a sit down and work it out on paper first, lol. Eh maybe I should ask my dad if he would want to build the adapters to sell (he thought about it back then). And I would have to rack my brain as much as possible because that was done in 2002. Of course it would only apply to the OBD1 Northstars, as thats all I have the wiring diagrams for.

Feb 26, 2011
Michigan

Very nice.

you had to convert from 5 lug to 6 lug for those wheels to work right? Did you just change out the front hubs and the rear axles?
Just bought the 6 lug pattern rotors for a 99 Escalade or any other OBS with a 6lug, one hole had to be redrilled slightly for the 6 on 6. And just flat out redrilled the axles. That was probably the easiest part, lol.