My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

mfklein24

Aug 18, 2009
St. Johns, MI
Re: My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

sweet build! especially the propane looking forward to see how that works out for you. how was the front axle swap? I'm hoping to do that later after school and the v8 swap.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

Well got the front end parts back from paint, and just wow, cant wait to get the core support and grill on. It may start to look like a truck again. Started to black out the ugly unblack parts to give the demonic look i am going for....

more pics to come when the front end goes on :D :D :D :D

mfklein24

Aug 18, 2009
St. Johns, MI

Any idea how much it costs to swap in a front axel and transfer case? I have a 2 wd and don't really want it lifted up but would like to have 4 wheel drive and no I'm not gonna go buy a different truck. Won't find one here with a good body or cheap

Oct 18, 2009
Newton, NJ

Any idea how much it costs to swap in a front axel and transfer case? I have a 2 wd and don't really want it lifted up but would like to have 4 wheel drive and no I'm not gonna go buy a different truck. Won't find one here with a good body or cheap
Depends on the route you go;

for SFA (Solid Front Axle) you'd need a new rear drive shaft, new front axle, transfer case, front drive shaft, front leaf springs, 4wd selectors, computer reprogramming and a lot of money for all the parts.

for IFS (Independent Front Suspension)...well if you were making a 2WD truck into a 4WD truck then you wouldn't even bother with IFS.

What year is your truck?

Last edited:

mfklein24

Aug 18, 2009
St. Johns, MI

My apologies for jacking this thread but I have a 89 reg cab shortbox 4.3 would love a 350. So really I should be looking for a 4x4 frame and drivetrain ...

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

Well back to tieing up loose ends....

Got a nice package from DIY4X, new rear spring plates, D60 "flat back" diff cover and some shock mounts.

Diff cover before starting to make the Razors to match my rear cover

D60 with not so beef cover and pesky steering dampener bracket

Removed diffecover and said hello to mr. lock-rite

Mocked up pure beefy diff cover, and the lines are roughly where the razors will go and the ram mount will go as well.

Bracket gone...

to make room for this little guy

getting ready to put the core support on and grill shell........ mmmMMmmmMM black on black on black

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

Well this weekend was somewhat successful.

Here is the tie rod tubeclamp that the assist ram will be pushing, well it was made wrong... oops it will be getting split in half to be able to be bolted on... and dad says i dont listen to him, HA

Ram mount tacked onto diff cover for test fit purposes

Razors starting to come together

Ram mock up

Teased myself with litteraly throwing the front end pieces on to get an idea

Scruffer

Sep 13, 2006
Greenleaf, Wisconsin

Very cool build! I just read through the whole thing. Keep up the good work man! I'll be looking forward to seeing more.

And by the way... those diff covers are SICK!!!