My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
www.allynch.com
Re: My SAS Resto Project -

LPG PWRD said:
:iamwithst

LPG- incase anyone doesnt know is Liquid Petroleum Gas (propane/HD5)

Gotcha, I guess my :windowlic ass should have read rather than look at teh photos. I had a freind that had an old charger that ran on propane.

Last edited:

bggrnchvy

Apr 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA

Werd.

As for the springs, I wouldn't fret. Go calculate the springs rates and I'll bet you find the rear will compress more under the weight of the body than the front will evening it up. I had the opposite problem, my front springs looked huge unloaded, then they flattened out.

ilikedirt

Jul 15, 2007
Opal, VA

LPG PWRD said:
Yes sir... Main reason my user name is "LPG PWRD"
yeah i noticed that when you said what LPG mean.

Thats freakin cool! do you know how much you would save vs gas?

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

bggrnchvy said:
Werd.

As for the springs, I wouldn't fret. Go calculate the springs rates and I'll bet you find the rear will compress more under the weight of the body than the front will evening it up. I had the opposite problem, my front springs looked huge unloaded, then they flattened out.
Thanks for that info, i was worried but nothing is going right so if i have to buy new springs. Alcan is getting a call and summit is gettin these up there ass.

GreaseDog

Dec 20, 2004
Elkhart IN

james_8997 said:
dumb ? but why run it on propane vs. gas?
pull a motor that has run on propane for 100,000 apart. it will be clean enough you can eat off of it. first advantage, propane burns cleaner. second advantage is the power available from a comparable amount of gasoline vs. propane, propane has more potential to make more power. third, is angularity. its not hard to uncover a fuel pump pickup in an EFI or carbed system, or put the carb at such an angle that the float bowls will starve for gas. so long as the pickup in your propane tank is positioned correctly, you can flip your truck upside down and it will still run.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

GreaseDog said:
what transfer case are you running?
241 Passenger drop 32 spline, ups was supposed to deliver the SYE kit today so i could get that all swapped out and get it mounted then mount the cab... but they decided to stick it to me so hey next weekend it is...
Then i can run a driveline brake

GreaseDog

Dec 20, 2004
Elkhart IN

that was going to be my suggestion. i've got the JB Conversions SYE kit, with the flange from HAD. planning on buying the driveline brake kit eventually.

pretty straight up install. hope youre not afraid to tear into the transfer case, it has to come completely apart.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

I built the motor (machining and assemble), rebuilt the trans, so the transfer case will complete the puzzle of all drivetrain done by me :D

GreaseDog

Dec 20, 2004
Elkhart IN

sweet. i'm building my 383 for mine. i'm not messing with the 80E though. if it aint broke, why fix it?