My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

Apr 26, 2007
Central FL
Re: My SAS Resto Project -

GreaseDog said:
so long as the pickup in your propane tank is positioned correctly, you can flip your truck upside down and it will still run.

But then the oil pump pick up would be uncovered and fry the bearings. Besides, who wants to run their engine/truck upside down anyway, not like your going anywhere. lol

If I was to flip my truck, I would want the engine to shut off, and atleast save the engine.

BTW LPG POWRD,

How are you planning on introducing the LPG into the engine? TBI, MPFI, Carb?
How much is LPG per gallon? So, with more BTUs per gallon over gas, LPG should give more power and MPG?

Last edited:

GreaseDog

Dec 20, 2004
Elkhart IN

dry sump oiling system will solve that. more than one comp crawler running pane and a dry sump. there are no points issued if you can flip yourself back over. crank the wheel and give 'er hell, hope she'll flop back over on all 4s.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH
Re: My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

Here is a quick list of parts so far:

Engine-
Good ol' 2 piece rear main seal block, custom 13.5cc dome JE pistons, comp cams roller conversion w/ fully roller rockers, dart iron eagle platinum heads, LT1 powdered rods. The engine has a 13.2:1 compression ratio :hump: gotta love propane :D

Trans-
NV4500 w/ 6.34 first gear :eek:

Tcase-
241 Passenger Drop 32 spline w/ JB SYE kit

Front axle-
Dana 60 (chevy) King pin axle, 5.13 superior gears, lock-right locker, warn premium lockouts, all new everything.

Rear axle-
14 bolt full floater, 5.13 yukon gears, detroit locker, disc brake conversion (3/4 ton fronts), all new everything.

Tires-
ProComp Xtreme AT's 38.5x14.5x18

Rims-
Eagle Alloy 197 18x9 superfinish

Sas kits-
ORU solid axle conversion kit 32.5" SPW

Steering-
ORU crossover steering, hydralic assist, ORD heavy duty rod ends w/ custom 1 1/4" x 1/4" wall DOM tierod tube

Exhaust-
92 camaro long tube headers w/ 3" collector, 3" true duals w/ h-pipe, electronic cutouts, and flowmaster delta 40s, getting side outputs infront of rear tires, no cats... its a clean burning fuel :D

(I will edit this post as things get added)

Apr 23, 2008
AR

Can't wait to see this thing finished, do you have any kind of timeline, or schedule, or is it kinda do what you can when you can and hope it gets done sorta thing?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

itcantbestephen said:
Can't wait to see this thing finished, do you have any kind of timeline, or schedule, or is it kinda do what you can when you can and hope it gets done sorta thing?
:dunno: Carlisle at the latest, if not, she gets the match :devil:

bggrnchvy

Apr 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA

LPG has less BTU's per gallon than gasoline. In like motors, meaning the same compression, you will make less power with propane. The upside to propane is cheap fuel injection effectively through a mixer (no MPFI, computer, sensors necesary) and high octane rating for cheap fuel cost. You can run lots of compression to eek out more power for cheaper running cost.

One guy in my club runs on propane and his LQ4 sucks it up. He went through ~40 gallons of propane in his lighter K5 during a week of running the same obstacles as me while I went through about 25 gallons of 87 octane in my L31 and heavier rig.

He needs to bump the compression and adjust the timing more on the MSD.

Feb 13, 2002
SC

Chevyman247 said:
How high of compression can you run with propane? And I am still confused on what you use to put the gas in the engine. Carb?

Tank, filter/lock off that catches any trash and shuts off fuel supply when there is no vacuum present from the engine, converter that converts the liquefied gas into vapor and a mixer/carb that regulates the fuel mix based on demand from the engine.

We have forklifts that use injection systems but none are available for on the road use that I know of.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

This weekend was kind of a waste since UPS screwed me and delayed a delivery and the guy setting up my gears has taken 3 weeks now :teddy: But I did get the gear box tapped and put back together, and gave the tcase a bath and tore it apart. Also started tearing into the wiring harness to redo the wires.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

Also install the third and final option for headers. They are a set for 78-86ish straight axle trucks.

Driver side

Passenger side

So the conclusion is that I will be running the 3rg Gen Camaro headers.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

BlackRockTrucks said:
LPG looking good man keep up the good work!!! Why not go with shorty headers instead of the long tube?
I like headaches :dunno: I am determined to run long tubes, dont know why.