My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

Mar 18, 2007
houston
Re: My Propane Powered SAS Resto Project

have you figured out how to make your headers work... to make mine fit, i used a piece of 2" or so pipe i had laying around and marked the header where it needed to be dented in (parallel to the frame where its making contact) and lay the pipe on the mark and hit it with the hammer. that away its nice and smooth...
clint

i also know how hard it is to fit headers .. 2" primaries to 3" collector it was a fun time getting these to fit.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

This weekend was just another one full of frustration :banghead: Got the axles back to find out that the D60 had no inner seals in it
So to say the least I am not very pleased.. Also the gear pattern of the 14B is a lil iffy on the coast side :whyme: And I had to clearance the hell out of the ORU kit..

But on the bright side of things, I got the SYE kit installed, and the new shift fork pads installed so the Tcase went on and I am gonna have to clock it. I started mounting the brake line also, ran the rear harness and got the 14B sitting under the truck.

Some pics from this weekend.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

Oh yea, new camaro headers installed..

These ones clear the frame, but need the weld grinded on the collector..

Also made some rear ubolt plates... I figured that 3/4" thick would work :dunno: got the drilled but I forgot the hole for the damn center pin :banghead:

comparred to the ORU 5/8" thick plate

And here is the ORU clearancing

GreaseDog

Dec 20, 2004
Elkhart IN

make sure you radius the corners of those spring plates where they will contact the spring, if not, its a huge stress riser and could cause your main leaf to crack.

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

GreaseDog said:
make sure you radius the corners of those spring plates where they will contact the spring, if not, its a huge stress riser and could cause your main leaf to crack.
Thanks for the heads up, I was going to anyways, I am thinking of adding shock tabs to them as well, but i will get into that later this week.

Jan 13, 2008
Trail ,BC ,Canada

I think for your propane conversion you just need to change the mixer for the TBI and reset the Check Engine Light . The local utility used to switch all it's vehicles to propane and the mechanic I talked to said thats all they did . I think they gave up on the vortecs as it was too complicated .

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

smiles383 said:
I think for your propane conversion you just need to change the mixer for the TBI and reset the Check Engine Light . The local utility used to switch all it's vehicles to propane and the mechanic I talked to said thats all they did . I think they gave up on the vortecs as it was too complicated .
The motor was built around the fuel, but thanks for the heads up.

Sep 4, 2007
Georgia

your progress is too slow. get on it you lazy ass. :read:

:lol: j/k man, looks like its coming together really well. good work. just remember, i drive it first. ;D

Dec 6, 2007
Medina, OH

AuburnTruck93 said:
your progress is too slow. get on it you lazy ass. :read:

:lol: j/k man, looks like its coming together really well. good work. just remember, i drive it first. ;D
Yea, I know it is taking way too long. I only get to work on it on the weekends since its over my dads. All my tools are there too and the machine shop is 20 minutes from his house compared to an hour from mine. Oh well.... And rob gets to drive it first :read: but he has to drive here to drive it