My Truck Through Its Stages

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba
Re: My Truck Through Its Stages

little update, got my motor back Friday night. I decided to not reuse my head gaskets, figured why cheap out on that since I am this far so tomorrow I am gonna order new ones. ordered up a dual gauge pod so I can put my air fuel and fuel pressure gauge in, also went and grabbed a bunch of braided hose for odds and ends, ordered up AN hose clamps for a bunch of things, also bought a new temp sensor, new upper and lower rad hoses. sure I got somemore things but to tired to think. lol
put the motor in Friday night along with hooking up some of the wires.
its been super nice here all weekend so I had the garage doors open Saturday........big mistake. all the neighbours kept stopping in to see how the truck was coming along so I didn't get anything done Saturday morning. I spent last night and today working on the truck and here is how it looks as of now. welded in my trans temp bung, got my braided trans lines made and installed, pretty much all the wiring is done besides the passenger headlights and my air locker pump. need more wire loom to finish. once I get the head gaskets in and the entire truck together I am gonna tidy up all the wiring with zip ties. once the truck is running I am gonna go to the car wash and wash the entire underside of the truck, its filthy with dust and hand prints etc.... then I will take it home and do all the paint touch ups that are needed which is a lot, all the bolts that got painted got little chips from tightening etc...

also my motor guy figured out my actual compression and it comes out to 12.1:1. that makes me happy:)

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

its not hard to get out here, have a hook up 10min away
well I would have to wait a long time to get some cometic .40 gaskets so I will be grabbing some LS9 gaskets tomorrow.
that will bring my compression to 11.8.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

haven't had much time to work on it lately but I did torque the heads on, intake, new rear shocks, altenator, wired up the rest of the headlights, got all the exhaust on, fuel lines all hooked up, belt on, front bumper on, engine oil in, trans fluid in, brake fluid in along with the front braided brake hoses, the center rear braided brake hose is on but the rear braided hoses have the wrong sized banjo fitting so I am gonna try and drill them out and see if they leak, if they do I will order the correct braided hose, got all my catch can braided hoses ran, power steering fluid in and some other stuff.
also checked my pushrod length and need to get new pushrods but still hoping to finish the truck up next weekend and start it, once that's done I am gonna clean the entire engine bay cause its dirty from dust and finger prints. then all the paint touch ups I have to do all over
getting close:)

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

I had some time to work on the truck yesterday but spent a lot of it messing with the efi live updates and trying to figure out how to get the new base tune in with the update troubles but I finally got the tune in.
but I got my pushrods in and rockers torqued down, valve covers and coil packs on, air box is in, coolant resivour is in and intake tube is on. all fluids are in so the truck is pretty much ready to fire up and I will do that this weekend. just have to clean up all the wiring to get them away from the headers.
got a quote on a new factory black grill yesterday and my cost is $288 so I said screw that and I will re plastidip mine.
I basically just have a lot of odds and ends to do before its done and I really am hoping to get most of them done this weekend.
If all goes well I will be posting some idle vids this weekend:)

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

well I finally got to hear the truck today:)
I started it alone so I don't have any vids yet. it needs to be tuned bad and honestly think its due to the LSXRT. it has never ran very well at idle since I put it on. my first tune for it was not to bad but its just been a pain so I decided to go ahead and treat the truck to a holley hiram.
I talked to my buddy that will be tuning it and once I get the intake I am gonna drop off the truck and he is gonna strap it to the dyno and tune it.
I had to have it idling at 1100 just to stay running and I must say you can hear the cubes and compression.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

haven't had much time to work on the truck lately and cant do much till I get my intake which would be this week.
its pretty much all done besides running a vent line for my gas tank, I got pretty much all the plasti dip off my front bumper and grill so just have to clean it and then re plasti dip it, I need to grab a couple bolts to get my mud flaps back on, once the intake is on I am gonna relocate my fuel pressure gauge and finish up all my vacuum lines, have to get an alignment and start getting my tune sorted out. once the truck is running I have to give it a good wash and clean the underside of the box and paint it and then clean under the hood.
I finished wiring up my remote bottle opener and bottle warmer today, installed my dual gauge pod and installed my fuel pressure gauge inside, recalibrated my new wide band
intake should be here this week but not sure when I am gonna have time to put it on, I really want to get it on so I can start doing some cold start data logs and get it running right so I can start driving it and getting some data logging that way and break the new motor in

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

I finally got to drive the truck today, Friday night I put the new intake on and what do you know the truck fired right up and idled just fine even tho its just got a base tune.
had a hell of a time getting the brakes bleed and it ended up being a caliper with a slow leak so I bought a new one today and put it on and bled it. brakes work great now.
took the truck for a small ride around the block and all was well so I decided to take it on the highway and got to around 60km/h and something didn't sound right, sounds like something transmission back so I am gonna put it on jackstands and get someone to run it for me so I can pin point it.
it felt amazing to finally drive it again tho.
here are a couple pics, I data logged todays ride and once I get the tune sorted out abit more I will post up some idle vids.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

had a buddy come over Friday night and we put the truck on jack stands and had him go up to 80k to try and pin point the noise and I didn't hear anything.
decided I would take it to the car wash that is a block away and on the way I didn't hear any sounds, so after the wash I decided to bring the truck up to speed and guess what no noise. drove around for 45 min and all was well.
so yesterday I data logged on my way to the city and drove it around for awhile. felt great to drive it.
my wideband was acting up on the drive so today I checked it over and think the brand new sensor is screwed. I bought brand new o2s but cant get my old ones out even with a ton of heat so I am gonna pull the headers and get them out, changed the oil, cleaned up some wiring, re torqued the intake, lowered the front a little and a couple odds and ends.
sent out my data log to Justin from black bear yesterday, once I get my updated tune I will hopefully get to actually start getting into this thing

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

I had some errands to run today so I decided to take the truck, for a base tune it runs pretty good driving around. spent a couple hours driving it.
as you can see in the vid I have tcase fluid leaking from someplace and one of the brand new cv boots decided it no longer wanted to stay in place but other then that it surprised me for all the work I had done to it.
here is a short idle vid

Last edited:

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

ordered up new nitrous outlet solenoids, 92mm plate and all hoses for the nitrous with black fittings
Lance from nitrous outlet was awesome to deal with, if you need anything defanitly give him a call
cant wait to get the tune spot on and start driving this thing again
also got a new wideband sensor coming, I bought new o2 sensors but cant get the old sensors out even with a ton of heat and a pipe wrench with a 3' bar on it so I am gonna get 2 new bungs and weld them in for the new sensors

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

fixed my wideband this morning and also fixed the leak from my tcase.
it was a nice day out so I decided to take the truck out and see how the A/F looked with the base tune, drove around for abit and all was well so I got into it about half throttle and it ran good. about 5 min later I pulled up to a stop sign on the highway and something didn't sound right. crossed the highway and my rear diff didn't sound good at all.
I knew I had a bad bearing in the back and was gonna fix it soon but I am to late. my brother picked me up with the trailer and I pulled the cover and sure enough I have 2 teeth missing off the pinion. the gears have not sounded good for a couple years.
If I cant get a set of 5.38 gears real quick I am just gonna go with 5.13s.