My Truck Through Its Stages

Nov 26, 2012
Green River, WY
Re: My Truck Through Its Stages

Our laws are ridiculous, our bumper height law is 29" to the bottom and I was WAY over that. I made a bumper that comes on and off with 2 bolts, head light heights are 54" and I blew those away. I failed every law miserably.
I am having more fun making it faster anyway. Lol
If you have any questions feel free to ask
Thanks I will. I will have to wait till I return from deployment to the Middle East, That way I will be able to ask educated questions with the parts in my hands.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

so I talked to the guy that's doing my heads and got some bad news, seems as tho I have 3 cracks on one head and 4 on the other.
Looks like I will be buying new heads, have to order tomorrow and its looking like I will be going with PRC 2.5 for the 5.3

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

I ended up getting PRC 2.5 5.3 heads with 62cc chambers
With the head gaskets I ordered I should be at 10.6 compression
Heads will be here Thursday and hope to get a good start on it Thursday

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

got it running, haven't got to try it out yet tho cause I had a 300lb treadmill in the box and then after that I had to get attic insulation and the machine. now the box is empty but its raining:(

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

got to try it out and it defanitly is faster. I seem to have lost some low end which I needed to lose but gained mid and top end.
It just gets up and goes now. I still need to get it tuned but damn is it a lot of fun to drive

Nov 26, 2012
Green River, WY

got to try it out and it defanitly is faster. I seem to have lost some low end which I needed to lose but gained mid and top end.
It just gets up and goes now. I still need to get it tuned but damn is it a lot of fun to drive
Woo Hooo. Can't wait to get home to start on mine. I smiled the whole time I was catching up on your progress

Nov 26, 2012
Green River, WY

what do you have?
I am gonna be getting a new cam speced and swap it in the spring. since I got good flowing heads, more compression and a better intake the cam needs to get stepped up aswell.
I have an '88 k1500 camper special it has the 3/4 ton axles and the TH400 trans from the factory. Also have the '94 k1500, extended cab, short box. That will be the one I start working on when I get home from deployment. It has over 280k miles on it and the motor is tired. I will be doing a rebuild and I want "more" I restored many vehicles "stock" I want something with a lot of grunt.

A couple of weeks before deploying I finished the Engine on my '82 AMC Eagle SX/4 4x4 car, It has a GM 2.5l Iron Duke engine, Same engine they used in the S10's, stock horse power was about 86bhp, compression was 8.4:1 . I had the block bored .030 over and Zero Decked. Had the crank ground .010 under. installed flat top pistons. New lifter, push rods, fuel pump, Performance ignition, High performance high volume oil pump, and an aluminum timing gear set instead of the stock fiber one, all new bearing, seals, etc. Rebuilt the head with larger valves and milled the head to reduce the size of the Chambers. I polished and ported the intake and exhaust. Installed head studs instead of bolts. CompCams cut me a cam with a little more lift and duration. Installed a new larger exhaust system. I have no idea what my compression ratio is now or what my bhp is but It is a little screamer now. My next modification is to build a custom intake manifold and replace the 2bbl carb with a small 4bbl. I have already built a custom Cold air intake and Plenum that works very well, except my carb freezes up right around 32-35 degrees, not when it is colder than that, weird. I just wrap a dishtowel around the carb body, during those temps, its just enough to keep it from freezing.

Like I said before I am looking forward to hitting you up for some ideas on the 5.7l when I get home. don't want to waist your time now because I just don't know where to start.

GREENSIERRA

Feb 14, 2006
winnipeg, Manitoba

finally got around to putting the traction bars on
the truck feels a lot stiffer and a lot more solid with them on. its a different truck to drive now.
I will try and get picks up as soon as I can