My trucks

Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia
Re: My trucks

Update on my dad's stuff.

He is planning on getting an '01 F250, , 4x4, and I can't remember if its an extended cab or a 4 door. The downside, it is a diesel, its an automatic, and its a shortbed. It has over 250,000 miles, which isn't bad. The guy wants $3500. He says the only thing he has done is change the oil. It doesn't run too good, hopefully its just the fuel filter. But, its still a good deal even if its something a bit major. Even better, Dad is workin on a trade. His '01 Ram 3500 diesel, dually, 6 speed for the Ford and around $4,000.

Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia

Why is your Dad getting rid of a 6 speed cummins to get a ford automatic 7.3 with high miles that runs bad?

Does he want ext. cab or something?
The Dodge is an extended cab. He paid $8650 for it a couple years ago. Not a bad truck, but its a 1 ton. With that, comes laws. More money for tags, DOT numbers, he has to get checked out by a doctor saying he can drive it, and because its a dually insurance is higher. It has, I think, around 280,000 miles, still not bad. A 1 ton truck is a bit overkill, especially a dually. He really just wants a 3/4 ton, and he seems to favor Fords. In the last couple years, he hasn't really had one. He gave my mom his F150. He had an F350, sold it. And he got an F250 for free, sold it. He didn't have either of them long. Except for them, he hasn't owned a Ford in over 6 years. He almost had a '99 F250 for $2500 years ago, but the guy backed out of the deal. But the last, good Ford Dad had was an '82 F250, 351W, 4x4, and 3 on the floor. A tree fell on it.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia

Good News, Dad got another Ford. He traded for it. It started out with a free snow plow and a few hundred dollars that got a '94 350 Big Bear. That got traded for a tractor, then that got traded for a huge Allis Chalmers, then that got traded for a little tractor. Today he traded that for an '83 F350 4x4 dually with a 460 and a 5 inch lift. Its in real great shape. Hopefully he keeps it, I want to drive it in October. So far the only plans are dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40s since the truck has the stock exhaust and is quiet. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia

Sometime this week he is picking it up. He has a set of ladder racks already to fit Ford trucks. He might get it today since he is already taking the day off to get a gutter machine.

Because its a 1 ton lift laws don't apply to it. But it still has to have a modified vehicle inspection sticker. So that kinda sucks. Only one garage still does those in my area of West Virginia and they do everything by the book.

Last edited:

SierraDan

Feb 19, 2008
Olathe, KS

Your GMC looks decent man. Just work trucky with some old man-ness to it lol.

To me the grill kills the look of the truck.

Id also go back to a stock chrome rear bumper since your black one is mismatched right now with your front one. And stock black handles.
I'm gonna help clear the air here a bit, not just the quoted text but this whole work truck controversy.

First off this is my GMC Sierra SL, stock:

Not good camera quality but you can see it has the smooth chrome front bumper, but notice all the black it has, it's stock the black mirrors, door handles and the back bumper is black.

Here it is after I got sick of the stock mismatched bumper:

I did a horrible job prepping it, now after a couple years it's peeling so probably next spring when I get some more cash and time i'll sand it down and primer it and paint it, and clear coat it so I don't have to worry anymore. But I think it looks a lot better now. Also the grille is colormatched, this was taken with a crappy camera but it is the exact Emerald Metallic Green as the truck. Now, this may not be stock. I bought the truck from the dealer with the windows tinted and dual exhaust so the previous owner I know did at leas those two mods, he may have doen some other stuff. Also if you notice, the radio antenna is also black, not sure if that's stock or not, don't pay too much attention to that on other trucks, but if it's not then that's what I call attention to detal.

Slightly better pic of it fairly recently:

I know for a fact these are the original wheels, never had the steelies. Most work trucks don't have these. Also most don't have this either:

You can tell by the fan shroud that that's a small block, a 305 to be exact and it's mated to this:

Btw those aren't my legs, that's my buddy sitting next to me, mine have less fat and more muscle.

So I hope that clears up some stuff. Maybe it makes more confusion, I don't know. At any rate, pretty much they're all different unless you're came off the lot with no options added, just a basic package. But I will say this, generally a truck with few options is a work truck, may not say it but that's usually it, generally if you use the truck for daily transportation and the occasional hauling, then you want more comfort options but for a daily on the job truck like towing a trailer or carrying lawn equipment or whatever, then you don't need options.

I think i'm done for now......

Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia

I love colormatched grilles. I'm getting my grille colormatched when I get the truck repainted this year. I need to find another grille first, but I might be able to fix mine.

My antenna was black, but the paint was almost gone when I got the truck. I repainted it when I repainted the wiper arms.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
West Virginia

Just thought I would say this, the Cummins blew a head gasket yesterday. Dad still drove it today anyways. He said it will only go 60 mph, any faster it won't run right. He has oil in in coolant and coolant in the oil. Its also leaking coolant around the head. He decided to leave on the job today. When he gets paid next week, he is dropping it off at a garage. They are going to charge $800, but that includes milling the head.